Firefox Nightly 66.0a1 fixed Mini/Max/close Aeroglass

6 hours ago, yash.chauhan said:

I mean instead of doing such hassles, just go to compatibility tab of exe, at bottom select change for all users and set to windows 7.

This method doesn't fool Firefox because it only hooks legacy APIs for querying Windows version. In addition, it applies redundant compatibility shims. Method with manifest has a smaller impact.

Ideally, someone would figure out how to change it properly at CSS level.

• 2 months later...

On 2/6/2019 at 2:04 AM, UCyborg said:

Ideally, someone would figure out how to change it properly at CSS level.

Figured that's impossible; I found the following code at widget/windows/nsWindow.cpp:

// Glass hit testing w/custom transparent margins
LRESULT dwmHitResult;
if (mCustomNonClient &&
    nsUXThemeData::CheckForCompositor() &&
    /* We don't do this for win10 glass with a custom titlebar,
     * in order to avoid the caption buttons breaking. */
    !(IsWin10OrLater() && HasGlass()) &&
    WinUtils::dwmDwmDefWindowProcPtr(mWnd, msg, wParam, lParam, &dwmHitResult)) {
  *aRetValue = dwmHitResult;
  return true;
}

Stock caption buttons are effectively disabled on Windows 10. The behavior is hardcoded in xul.dll. If one searches for Windows version checks, there are some other parts of the code that will behave differently depending on the detected Windows version.

• 1 month later...

Sometime ago, I reported this issue into Mozilla's bug tracker, but it seems it was completely ignored. Now, on FF 67, on my work computer, Aero Glass in FF still works correctly but on my home computer the CSS property "moz-win-glass" is ignored.

Maybe if more users report this issue to Mozilla, some developer will care about it.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1418759

1 hour ago, bigmuscle said:

Sometime ago, I reported this issue into Mozilla's bug tracker, but it seems it was completely ignored. Now, on FF 67, on my work computer, Aero Glass in FF still works correctly but on my home computer the CSS property "moz-win-glass" is ignored.

Maybe if more users report this issue to Mozilla, some developer will care about it.

I'm using the external manifest way to get my glass back in FF but I can chime-in.

Yeah, there are some workarounds how to achieve it, but I mean that it should be supported natively. Or better, in fact, there is really no need to have some kind of support for Aero Glass - it is satisfactory that all browsers will give up that stupid trend where they disable system native titlebar and render its own titlebar (imitating the same look as system one) on Windows 10 (what's the point to remove something and replace it with something which imitates the removed thing?). It is really mysterious why this wrong behaviour has been implemented for Windows 10 only and it works correctly on any other system. I guess that this trend comes from Win10's UWP applications that do exactly the same (replace default DWM-rendered titlebar with its own GDI rendered parody).

3 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Don't know if this is related to your problem here but when Firefox is updated to 67 it creates a new empty profile so may be defaulting to that instead of your usual profile.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/firefox-67-switching-to-empty-profiles-causing-data-loss-fears/

6 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Yeah, there are some workarounds how to achieve it, but I mean that it should be supported natively. Or better, in fact, there is really no need to have some kind of support for Aero Glass - it is satisfactory that all browsers will give up that stupid trend where they disable system native titlebar and render its own titlebar (imitating the same look as system one) on Windows 10 (what's the point to remove something and replace it with something which imitates the removed thing?). It is really mysterious why this wrong behaviour has been implemented for Windows 10 only and it works correctly on any other system. I guess that this trend comes from Win10's UWP applications that do exactly the same (replace default DWM-rendered titlebar with its own GDI rendered parody).

Big muscle please release the final version soon of aeroglass work for 1903.

@bigmuscle I tested lot of hacks in Nightly and Windows 10, nothing works for me, no proper CSS, also tested with third party themes, no luck, I found mockup of Firefox in dark with acrylic glass, since then I try to get it on my machine, no luck :D I voted on Your bug, also other guy ask for support for glass, He also didn't have more feedback, I i find this bug I will post it here.

15 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Yeah I never got that either, would you know any logical reason why browsers do that? I thought about that before and came to no conclusion that made any sense but then again I'm not a dev.

Moonchild Productions ported the custom caption bar drawing code to their Pale Moon fork as well, see this thread. You'll find my comparison screenshots if you scroll down a bit. They say there would be visual glitches on Windows 10 without custom caption bar drawing, but I don't see anything off with the native caption bar. The caption text is always enforced by Pale Moon, the only other difference I can see is spacing between min/max/close buttons and the caption bar height (I might have reduced default caption height setting in Windows, but I'm not 100% certain).

So honestly, I've no idea what they're talking about. Looks like the only option that still exists in the current nightly is setting browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar in about:config to false to enable the native caption bar (and put tabs separately). CSS moz-win-glass property is indeed gone.

I don't know Pale Moon but I guess it is just a port of old Firefox. The question is if the statement "there would be visual glitches on Windows 10 without custom caption bar drawing" is true why these glitches does not appear in any other application except browsers (+thunderbird) that try to imitate Chrome behaviour; why these glitches does not appear on any other DWM-based OS (WinVista, Win7, Win8, Win8.1 - where rendering is exactly same) and why these glitches did not appear in versions before adopting Chrome look.

Maybe, we should highlight that this look does not correspond to Fluent design :D

There are two settings (about:config ... gfx.webrender.all.qualified but the value needs to be changed directly in prefs.js) in FF67. If they are not present or set to "false", "moz-win-glass" value is accepted correctly. The problem is that these settings are reset back to "true" after several restarts.

Edited by bigmuscle

• 3 weeks later...

1) Download + Install the latest version of Aero Glass, as well as the latest version of Firefox, obviously.  If you're running Windows 10 May 2019 Update, you'll probably need the latest debug build of Aero Glass (currently version 1607).

2) Open File Explorer and head to C:\Users\<YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

3) In the above location, there should be a folder whose name ends with "-release" (e.g: "65p9thz2.default-release").  Navigate into it.

4) In the above location, create a folder named "chrome".  Navigate into it.

5) Leave File Explorer for now and switch to your internet browser.  Go to the following link: https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/releases/tag/2.5.6

6) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "custom_css_for_fx_v2.5.6.zip" link to download a ZIP file.

7) Back in File Explorer, extract the above downloaded ZIP file to a temporary folder.  Navigate into that folder and select all folders + files.

8) Copy + Paste the above selected folders + files into the "chrome" folder you created in Step #4.

9) Now, in the "chrome" folder, there's a file named "userChrome.css" along with a second file named "userContent.css".  Both of these files need to be Opened + Edited with a text editor such as Notepad.  Alternatively, if you're not comfortable doing such things, you can download both of these files, which, I've completed editing for you and uploaded them here.

10) Once these files are downloaded, you need to Copy + Paste (+ Overwrite) over the unedited versions of these same files within the "chrome" folder.

11) Launch (Or Exit + Re-Launch) Mozilla Firefox and make sure that the "Dark" theme is enabled.  The "Default" and "Light" themes should be compatible too.  Other 3rd-Party Themes are, unfortunately, a work in progress at the moment.

12) To revert to the original Mozilla Firefox User Interface, simply Delete the "chrome" folder originally created in Step #4.  Or, you can rename it to "chrome_" (or any name you wish).

12) That's about it, I think, good day.

userChrome.css userContent.css

Edited by sbkw1983