Windows Update Issue on Fresh Install

ojt_1998

Hi All,

Just done a reinstall of XP and currently having an issue getting Windows Update to work. I’ve installed ie8, SP3, Windows Update Agent 3, ie8 cumulative update from last year, tls update and still I’m having no luck. 

IE tries to open the page then redirects to the KB article but just says page cannot be displayed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thankyou in advance

20 minutes ago, Bersaglio said:

Turn on TLS 1.0 & TLS 1.2 in IE8 (SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 should be turned off) and use https link:

https://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate

or

https://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

Thankyou - I have some progress :D

I’m now getting redirected saying my browser is not supported even though it’s IE8. Obviously this is the latest version for XP so I’m now totally intrigued. First time in the past few years I’ve had an XP machine not want to update after a fresh install :dubbio:

Glad to see you accomplished your purpose with USP4.

For the record though, in case anyone else has issues:

I actually just finished working with a fresh XP SP3 install and Windows Update. Despite reports to the contrary WU still works with IE6.

Install the three packages listed as "Needed for Windows Update" listed here. Then enable TLS in IE6 Internet Options. Now WU should work properly.

1 hour ago, LoneCrusader said:

Glad to see you accomplished your purpose with USP4.

For the record though, in case anyone else has issues:

I actually just finished working with a fresh XP SP3 install and Windows Update. Despite reports to the contrary WU still works with IE6.

Install the three packages listed as "Needed for Windows Update" listed here. Then enable TLS in IE6 Internet Options. Now WU should work properly.

Can confirm it works. Thanks!

maybe the way i do things is just different but I don't have to do TLS, I just go to ctrl panel and set automatic updates to notify me but dont download or install. and that always works.  The only time i have problems with windows updates on XP is when I installed Office hotfixes.  auto updates don't use TLS.  then again i use addon in nlite to update windows installs.

Edited by Destro

7 hours ago, Destro said:

maybe the way i do things is just different but I don't have to do TLS, I just go to ctrl panel and set automatic updates to notify me but dont download or install. and that always works.  The only time i have problems with windows updates on XP is when I installed Office hotfixes.  auto updates don't use TLS.  then again i use addon in nlite to update windows installs.

Yeah I think this is for when you go seeking the updates instead of letting them come to you.. I also used WSUS one time and it also worked great.

Yes, Auto Update is the first thing I kill on any Windows installation. Very annoying. I always prefer to do this manually.

Another note, be aware that for some moronic reason a visit to Windows Update will not offer you any of the Post-EOL (WannaCrypt vulnerability) HotFixes, even after you have updated everything else it lists. These must apparently be hunted down and manually installed. If someone could please provide a list of the KB numbers of these and/or links to the updates themselves it would be nice to have here.

(In this instance I mean a list of ONLY those updates made available for "pure" XP, not including those for POSReady. I believe I saw such a list here at some point; now I can't find it anymore. Maybe it was lost in one of the database crashes???)

The thing is you cant kill auto update sevice if you want to go to the MU site and scan,  it will report an error that automatic updates are not turned on.  then u will have to go and turn the service on.  If its off. All going to the site is doing is forcing wuauclt.exe /detectnow..... and instead windows updates scanning in the backgroud you are just getting a UI that shows a bar that is scanning.  It's just stupid the way that it works.  So that is all I am saying is you do not need a user interface to simply run a command  %windir%\system32\wuauclt.exe /detectnow  it all is the same thing.

Edited by Destro

On Κυριακή, 6 Ιανουαρίου 2019 at 9:56 PM, LoneCrusader said:

If someone could please provide a list of the KB numbers of these and/or links to the updates themselves it would be nice to have here.

Post EOS Windows XP updates (from the Microsoft Update Catalog):

KB4018466

KB4019204

KB4022747

KB4024323

KB4024402

KB4025218

• 4 months later...

On a fresh XP-POSREADY post-marathon WU i found:

NOT INSTALLED: 

KB4018466

KB4019204

KB4024402

INSTALLED:

KB4022747

KB4024323

KB4025218

It remains a mistery in MS mind why a Posready system did not benefit in automatic from the red updates.

And it's ridicolous that Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer doesn't give any advice on such important lacking updates.

Edited by Vistaboy
add

KB4018466 -> Superseeded by KB4486465

KB4019204 -> Superseeded by KB4493927

kb4024402 -> fix for smb vulnerability. maybe it's included in newer patches? 

Those 3 installed updates were never offered to my XP "pos-ready" clean install

Edited by TigTex