USB 2.0 PCI-E x1 card causes data corruption in 98SE

MrMateczko

In order to have USB and USB Sound Card support in Windows 98SE on my H110 motherboard, I've bought some time ago a Delock 89135 PCI-E x1 USB 2.0 card, this very one:

https://www.delock.de/service/document/89135.html

When I had the 7900 GTO video card, the card didn't cause any problems under 98SE.

Now I have the 6600GT 128MB PCI-E video card. And when I plug the card, very weird things start happening immediately: GPU drivers stops working (nvarch16.dll load failure), AHCI.PDR driver load failure, and most importantly, data corruption/data permanently lost, USB enumeration hangs the system, DOS ScanDisk getting stuck, etc.

As soon as I remove the card, everything goes back to normal.

Nothing like this happens under Windows 10.

Does anyone know why is this now an issue for me? Maybe the card got itself damaged in that time, can that cause such issues? Maybe 98SE and its PCI(-E) understandings causes such problems.

I have similar problems with the Startech PEXUSB4DP PCI-E USB 2 Card. It typically disables the Video Driver and/or the Ethernet Driver.

Once I saw it slow down DOS. Unfortunately, I could not reproduce the problem to debug it.

The Card works in Windows 9x if I disable the other Drivers.

I think it may be a PCI-E Interrupt sharing problem but I am not sure at this point.

It works fine in Windows XP.

Your card uses a VIA USB 2.0 chip, mine has an UEC chip.

Can you check which chip translates the PCI interface to PCI-E on your card? On my card it is the PLX PEX8112.

I've also encountered real DOS mode hangups, not just ScanDisk.

I can reproduce all of the issues I had quite consistently.

@rloew: I'd love to have you test some of those older, universally compatible VIA PCI USB 2 cards (I don't remember the chip they're based on right now), on the particular adapter I've mentioned on the post quoted below:

Of course, considering I'm proposing it, I'd be glad to make you a gift of one such adapter, provided amazon.com still offers them, as a token of my interest on the matter. Would you consider it?

6 hours ago, dencorso said:

@rloew: I'd love to have you test some of those older, universally compatible VIA PCI USB 2 cards (I don't remember the chip they're based on right now), on the particular adapter I've mentioned on the post quoted below:

Of course, considering I'm proposing it, I'd be glad to make you a gift of one such adapter, provided amazon.com still offers them, as a token of my interest on the matter. Would you consider it?

Of course.

I've seen issues on at least one system when trying to use a TP-Link TG-3468 V1 PCI-E network card under Windows 98. At the time I chalked it up to the mainboard not being 9x-friendly (Intel BIOS) but I didn't get an opportunity to pursue the issue further on another system. There may be a pattern here.