IE10, Chrome 51, Firefox 54, WMP 12, Office 2013....

yoltboy01

Hi guys!

I'm new in this Forum and I really love Windows Vista. I use it since 2007 or 2008 I dont quite remember. I always hated it when people talked bad about Vista. I dont think that I have to explain, why Vista was a huge Milestone in the history of Windows and that Vista's successors all base on Vista.

My project is to port Chrome 51 or 52 to Vista. Personally, I dont think that it is impossible. Chrome 50 works very well, 51 opens but doesnt loads pages, 52 crashes completly. It is because there are new API's used that Vista doesnt support. I always wanted to know which exact file it is that blocks Vista. There are several backports that base on Chromium 54 for example, that run with Vista, but what did the developers do? Is it possible to install Windows 7's APIs in Vista or what do I have to change to run the software. Same goes for IE10, Office 2013, Firefox 54 and WMP12. I really want to have Office 2013&IE 10 on Vista because IE10 renders pages wayyy better than IE9. I already have the plan to backport some Windows 7 feauters to Vista.

Hello yoltboy01,

I share your fondness for Windows Vista, but the obvious answer to your desires is to buy a Windows 7 product key and upgrade (except the browser versions you mention are very old for use on Windows 7).

Chrome is not a developer's project. As you already know, developers were able to backport a few open-source Chromium versions that did not support Vista. I tried Slimjet 11 and 12 (based on Chromium 51 and 53 respectively) on Vista x86 when they were new, back in 2016. If no developer's project is satisfactory to you, then you could always become a developer yourself.

Regarding IE10 for Vista, see https://msfn.org/board/topic/176927-internet-explorer-10-on-vista/.

Regarding Office 2013, see https://msfn.org/board/topic/177934-install-office-2013-on-windows-vista/.

Regarding Firefox forks that are still being actively developed (including a build of Basilisk based on Firefox 55): https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:33 AM, yoltboy01 said:

Hi guys!

I'm new in this Forum and I really love Windows Vista. I use it since 2007 or 2008 I dont quite remember. I always hated it when people talked bad about Vista. I dont think that I have to explain, why Vista was a huge Milestone in the history of Windows and that Vista's successors all base on Vista.

My project is to port Chrome 51 or 52 to Vista. Personally, I dont think that it is impossible. Chrome 50 works very well, 51 opens but doesnt loads pages, 52 crashes completly. It is because there are new API's used that Vista doesnt support. I always wanted to know which exact file it is that blocks Vista. There are several backports that base on Chromium 54 for example, that run with Vista, but what did the developers do? Is it possible to install Windows 7's APIs in Vista or what do I have to change to run the software. Same goes for IE10, Office 2013, Firefox 54 and WMP12. I really want to have Office 2013&IE 10 on Vista because IE10 renders pages wayyy better than IE9. I already have the plan to backport some Windows 7 feauters to Vista.

it should be easy to start from chrome 51 as it already partially opens , also ive heard over many places that WMP 12 will work if you copy and replace it from Windows 7 7000 beta build , IE10 should be able to work although there seem to be artificial block or something which prevents it from loading , if you can figure it out , it would be a massive thing , i too love vista and have it till today dual booted with windows 7.

15 hours ago, burd said:

WMP 12 will work if you copy and replace it from Windows 7 7000 beta build

Is it so simple?:unsure: And what exactly do you copy (the executable file, all the files in its folder, anything more)?

On 1/11/2019 at 1:26 AM, HarryTri said:

Is it so simple?:unsure: And what exactly do you copy (the executable file, all the files in its folder, anything more)?

im not sure it works but ive heard it does , Copy wmploc.dll to C:\Windows\System32 and Copy Windows Media Player folder to C:\Program Files , also it seems you need to use resource tuner to change the version of wmp12 to match vista's for eg. 12.7000.7000 should be set to 12.6002.7000 considering you have vista sp2. Also you need to change the O/S version and subsys version to 6.0 to remove the "not valid win32 app " error. 

You can google wmp12 on windows vista , many websites have info on it.

Edited by burd

On 1/4/2019 at 3:03 PM, yoltboy01 said:

Hi guys!

I am sure the porting is possible. It's not an easy job! Examples of browsers that successfully ported a newer version of Chrome back to XP are Advanced Chrome (54), Chedot (51?; can't remember), Citro (52?), and Slimjet (50)

Advanced Chrome is also open source :)

On 1/12/2019 at 4:05 PM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I am sure the porting is possible. It's not an easy job! Examples of browsers that successfully ported a newer version of Chrome back to XP are Advanced Chrome (54), Chedot (51?; can't remember), Citro (52?), and Slimjet (50)

Yandex browser, which is apparently chrome 57, was ported to XP and Vista. It does have increased functionality over Advanced chrome 54, because discord loads correctly, and even voice chat works.

And, yes, chedot for xp is 51.

11 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I wouldn't recommend Slimjet, especially since it's basically a spyware bomb.

Take a read on this

On 1/13/2019 at 2:58 AM, IntMD said:

I wouldn't recommend Slimjet, especially since it's basically a spyware bomb.

Take a read on this

Your link basically says that Slimjet is as bad as Chrome (perhaps a bit worse). If Chrome contains "spyware," then a browser containing spyware now has 63 percent market share. OP yoltboy01 evidently likes Chrome very much, and would go to great lengths just to use a slightly different but still obsolete version released in 2016. Personally, I would never recommend "Advanced Chrome."

21 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Your link basically says that Slimjet is as bad as Chrome (perhaps a bit worse). If Chrome contains "spyware," then a browser containing spyware now has 63 percent market share. OP yoltboy01 evidently likes Chrome very much, and would go to great lengths just to use a slightly different but still obsolete version released in 2016. Personally, I would never recommend "Advanced Chrome."

The difference is that Google doesn't even try to straightup put a lie that it's a browser that keeps privacy in mind and doesn't collect data unlike Slimjet, that and whether to pick up a small-name company (FlashPoint) sharing sensitive info to multiple companies and a big-name company (Google) to collect the data and keeps it to itself, i'd pick the latter. It's much worse when it comes to privacy than Chrome, especially when it's advertised as a browser trying to not collect your data.

Advanced Chrome would be more reliable, even if it's also by a small name company though. Their site providdes a git difference between their fork and normal Chrome.