Windows XP security after POS Ready 2009 updates cease

sparty411

zKlowLi.png

I'm pretending to be someone working for the IT of a company and I asked about an extension of the support period for Windows Embedded POSReady. They told me to call that number (UK), so if someone wants to call Microsoft and ask them, feel free to call them out of curiosity. I'll call them as soon as I'll have time.

6 hours ago, FranceBB said:

zKlowLi.png

I'm pretending to be someone working for the IT of a company and I asked about an extension of the support period for Windows Embedded POSReady. They told me to call that number (UK), so if someone wants to call Microsoft and ask them, feel free to call them out of curiosity. I'll call them as soon as I'll have time.

A for effort for sure. Well done.

Long story short: they check whether you really are a business or not when you call them, 'cause they ask you an email address and a case number, so they can verify your business, your licence and eventually offer you an estimate of the price of the premier support https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/premier. Besides, no-one really knew what I was talking about when I told them that I heard about other companies that extended the support for POSReady2009.

In other words, even if you are willing to spend quids/bucks/euros to keep your beloved OS alive, it wouldn't just be expensive, but also impossible for private users unless you really have a company (and even so I'm not even sure that such support does exist for "normal" companies).

In a nutshell: the support is gonna be over on April 12, 2019 and that's gonna be it; no extension, no miracle things, nothing and even if you own a company, it seems that although you are gonna spend a lot of money to have Microsoft Support available to fix issues if something goes wrong, buying the premium support doesn't necessarily mean that they'll keep releasing Security Updates every month for unsupported products, it just means that if your Windows Server 2003 goes down, they'll do something about it to try to bring it back up, but that's it.

"What about Military and Government and so on?"

These are specially arranged contracts, so forget about them.

I hope my "adventure" has sorted out all the doubts around the rumors that were circulating these days.

Edited by FranceBB

8 hours ago, FranceBB said:

"What about Military and Government and so on?"

Which means, you gotta start a job in NHS to solve the mystery, as this is the (geographically) closest thing to your current position where we hope such agreement will be working :)

5 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Which means, you gotta start a job in NHS to solve the mystery, as this is the (geographically) closest thing to your current position where we hope such agreement will be working :)

lol. No can do. :PConsidering that our PM just set 4.5bn increase in funding, hopefully they are gonna be fine. :D Speaking about the NHS, I really wanted to take a picture for the "XP Spotter" topic the other day, but I was too ashamed to ask my GP and I didn't. (Besides, CCTV is everywhere and I didn't want to look weird taking pictures inside a medical facility, you know).

On 1/4/2019 at 11:58 AM, FranceBB said:

You mean ReactOS? You can try it, but it's nowhere close to a proper fully functional and updated OS, as its compatibility is Windows 2000/Windows XP, while it should really be at least Win7 to be considered functional these days.

Anyway, I do understand that it's really difficult for developers to develop ReactOS without infringing any copyright, that's why it's very much based on Linux implementations like Mono and Wine that have been developed for years, but are still far from being perfect.

React OS was as bad as Windows Longhorn. it took me several attempts to get it installed with a CD (not bootable USB)

On 1/9/2019 at 1:05 PM, FranceBB said:

In other words, even if you are willing to spend quids/bucks/euros to keep your beloved OS alive, it wouldn't just be expensive, but also impossible for private users unless you really have a company (and even so I'm not even sure that such support does exist for "normal" companies).

your local government was already stealing your bucks why should a private company give more money to M$ ??

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/07/uk-government-microsoft-windows-xp-public-sector

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-the-uk-government-stopped-paying-for-windows-xp-2017-5

15 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Speaking about the NHS, I really wanted to take a picture for the "XP Spotter" topic the other day, but I was too ashamed to ask my GP and I didn't. (Besides, CCTV is everywhere and I didn't want to look weird taking pictures inside a medical facility, you know).

I every hospital I've been to in past year I've been seeing XPs, so that's not even a challenge. :)