List of unsupported feature by/for Windows XP

TuMaGoNx

Just a quick explanation of SNI (Server Name Indication): It was added to (I think) TLS 1.2 to allow one server to host multiple secure web sites. The browser sends the server name in the TLS "ClientHello" message that initiates a secure connection, so the server knows which site's certificate to send back.

I'm not actually sure if the recent TLS 1.1/1.2 updates for XP and IE8 included SNI support, but even if they didn't, it's supported by FF 52 ESR and its forks, including Pale Moon and Basilisk, all of which have XP-compatible versions.

A recent criticism of SNI is that the server name is sent in plain text, which lets nosey ISPs see which web sites you're visiting. (With the demise of Net Neutrality in the US, your ISP could even block a specific web site or slow it down to uselessness.) So ESNI (Encrypted SNI) has been proposed to prevent this information leakage. ESNI is still very new, however, and it remains to be seen how widely it will eventually be adopted. At present, it's only available in nightly builds of the FireFox browser, which doesn't run on XP; and the Pale Moon team (so far) has no interest in it, so it won't be finding its way into @roytam1's XP-compatible versions of these browsers unless MC changes his mind.

So, bottom line: at present XP does support TLS versions up through 1.3 and SNI (with third-party browsers) but does not support ESNI.

@Mathwiz thanks, that's why I need TLS/SSL analogy. TLS has been available for a looong time and only enforced when it become serious matter.
Firefox is well known for using its own library to do most thing (e.g NSS and friends) that's why it's the only HTML5 portable browser in existence (no chrome in Unixware, OS/2, OpenVMS, QNX or "others" OSes). If ESNI patch landing one of these dependencies then it may easier to port, just like encryption module.

Personally I'm no browser security enthusiast (knowing that I use obsolete OSes to begin with), never use security plugin either, just text mode Opera 12 or full mode Seamonkey via privoxy piped to console tor and maybe a web proxy as additional pipe.

Just to be picky: XP is going to reach EoS (end of service / end of support), which MS can decree unilaterally, this coming April. That won't, however, be EoL (end of life) because users all around the world will keep on running it and it'll still command something more than half the 3.5% market share it does today, at that point, which is more than 2k, 9x/ME and many flavors of PC-unix do, these days. On OS can only die when nobody uses it anymore, so that, in truth, not even OS/360 or CP/M-86 have really reached that point yet. Just my 2¢, but I respectfully ask you to edit the 1st line of your 1st post in this thread to change it to say EoS, instead of EoL. My current slogan is: EoS != EoL. Long live XP! :)

ya i mean look how many years the community kept windows 2000 alive.  Cough BWC.  Id say its fair to say XP has another good 5 years left in it until it becomes unusable for everyday tasks, maybe longer depending how much reactOS code can be used, for the purposes of getting things to work and how far that project goes.

Edited by Destro

4 hours ago, finlandisgood said:
8 hours ago, Destro said:

reactOS

How far along it is?

Very alpha, like it's always been since its early roots dating back to the nineties trying to mimick Windows 95.

It looked to me like they've made a lot of progress - they have Office 2010 installing now - but there's also a ton of work left.

Obviously Windows is a moving target. They have it mimicking XP pretty well, but that's just as XP (embedded at least) is reaching EoS and more vendors are dropping XP support. They really need to be mimicking Win 7 at this point, with an eye toward Win 8.1....

And sometimes they waste resources on side projects, like getting it to boot from btrfs disks ... nice (and they caught and fixed some bugs in the WinBtrfs driver in the bargain), but is that really as important as being able to run current software? If you can't do that, might as well stick with XP :unsure:

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Very alpha, like it's always been since its early roots dating back to the nineties trying to mimick Windows 95.

Yeah I watched a couple videos about it, from Druaga1 and ExplainingComputers. No the most up to date, but both very illustrative in their on ways. Linked here in case anyone else wants spend a couple minutes on that.

ReactOS is an interesting project, but it would need a serious backing for it to move anywhere at a faster pace. Its devs also have to be careful to not violate Microsoft's license terms when implementing functionality. See this.

ReactOS CONTRIBUTING.md file in the source code repo:

Legal notice: If you have seen Microsoft Windows source code, your contribution won't be accepted because of potential copyright violation. Before contributing, you must affirm that the following is true:

I hereby swear that I have not used nor seen the source code to any version of the Windows operating system nor any Microsoft product that may be related to the proposed project that is under a license incompatible with contribution to ReactOS, including but not limited to the leaked Windows 2000 source code and the Windows Research Kernel.

react OS is no where close to being usable.  The only hope I have is that some of the progress they have made with using Wine, would then get Wine running on XP, which could open posibilites of getting things that are not API compatible with XP in the future working.  As of now it's not a replacement.  But you have to think 10 years downt he road when react OS is still being developed and XP is long dead.

Edited by Destro

On 1/8/2019 at 8:15 PM, Destro said:

ya i mean look how many years the community kept windows 2000 alive.  Cough BWC.  Id say its fair to say XP has another good 5 years left in it until it becomes unusable for everyday tasks, maybe longer depending how much reactOS code can be used, for the purposes of getting things to work and how far that project goes.

How usable is Windows 2000 these days?  I actually preferred it to XP (that was until the x64 Edition came to be)

26 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

How usable is Windows 2000 these days?

All of @roytam1's browsers work with the extended kernel, as do most XP-compatible software titles, and a few smaller utilities for Windows 7 and up (Throttlestop, Acrobat Reader DC off the top of my head). The universal Boingo WLAN client supports more EAP methods than the XP SP2 native client.

If you don't do DX10+ gaming or need modern MTP support, Windows 2000 still goes very far.

3 minutes ago, win32 said:

All of @roytam1's browsers work with the extended kernel, as do most XP-compatible software titles, and a few smaller utilities for Windows 7 and up (Throttlestop, Acrobat Reader DC off the top of my head). The universal Boingo WLAN client supports more EAP methods than the XP SP2 native client.

If you don't do DX10+ gaming or need modern MTP support, Windows 2000 still goes very far.

And just how stable is Windows 2000 with KernelEx?  Does it slow down the OS any?

It is just as stable as vanilla Windows 2000 and still very fast, though competing with Server 2003 x86 (and apparently XP x64) in performance.

On my ThinkPad T60 I get "unknown hard error" dialogs from time to time, though the OS never crashes, and the software rarely does.

Edited by win32

• 1 month later...

I am sorry for possible offtopic, but somebody can explain how to use the Common Controls 6.0 and, respectively, Visual Styles in Windows XP? For example, in uTorrent 3.5.5 under XP standard ListView control is as follows:

MtqI9TP0_t.jpg

I suspect that there is a bug here. The active element should be sky blue, and the remaining elements of the alternate white / gray or white only, if this setting is disabled.