List of unsupported feature by/for Windows XP

TuMaGoNx

To celebrate the year when XP will be EOL lets list feature that's not supported by/for Windows XP.
The list meant to be "technology enabler", so no end-user software listed here.

OS Builtin (Microsoft):
4Kn AF Drive
AHCI generic (ongoing support by UniATA)
AR and VR
AVX
CODEC for modern multimedia formats (support by e.g LAVFilters)
DirectX e.g DXVA2, Direct2D, DirectWrite >= 10 (partial suppport by Wine)
.NET >= 4.5 (partial support by Mono)
ETW
GPT (driver supported by Paragon)
HTML5 (ongoing support by Maxthon and Seamonkey)
Input Language for Indic and few others (Support by MS Indic or Google Input Tools or Free Keyman Desktop 8.0)
IPv6 partial support missing DHCPv6 (use dibbler as alternative) and PPPv6
KASLR (partial support by Ozone/Wehntrust)
KPTI
Media Foundation e.g. WASAPI
MultiTouch/Gesture (also check this)
NDIS > 5.1
ODBC > 3.51 (most BigData vendor provide JDBC alternative)
PAE > 4GB due to licensing and driver stability issue (unstable support via PatchPae3, detectable RAM up to 2^37 and usable by Gavotte RAMDisk as multiple 4GB pagefiles, in case of PAE + 3GT max RAM is 16GB where the rest may usable via Imdisk AWE alloc )
PowerShell > 2.0
SSTP
StorPort (note that in Win2003, ntos kernel 5.2 need to manage the dualism of old scsiport and new storport, thus transplanting it into XP kernel 5.1 = loose cannon)
UDF >= 2.5 (HD-DVD driver by Toshiba / Bluray driver by Panasonic)
UNICODE (uniscribe) >= 5, Incomplete 4.x, and missing some unicode fonts  (newer version available as part of Office Viewer 2010 with VistaFont Pack)
USB 3 generic (driver supported by e.g ASMedia, NEC)
WIC at same level as Vista (additional codec by older and free FastPictureViewer)
WIA (incomplete, available as separate install? see this)
Windows Installer MSI > 4.5
Windows Store / UWP
WSSAPI (separately bundled in InTune)

3rd Party:
10GbE Ethernet: intel x540 (Many drivers support Windows 2003 but not XP specifically, some old 40Gb/s Infiniband NOT ethernet might supported by OFA driver)
CUDA > 5.2
Dokan (FUSE) > 0.6
Electron (The popular way to make  "App", usable alternative by NW.js 0.14.7)
HEVC/AVC HW Accelerated Encoder
JavaVM > 8
NVMe (OFA driver port) read above storport note.
Oculus VR (apparently older runtime SDK did support, but the device driver never support XP, so maybe other vendor?)
OpenGL >= 4.6
OpenCL >= 1.2 (AMD/Nvidia Driver only have OpenCL 1.1 interface file for XP though they may bundle OpenCL 1.2 runtime)
SATA-6G / SAS3
Steam ?
Surround Display per GPU (support by Matrox pre-radeon chipset)
Thunderbolt
UHD 60Hz Resolution, DisplayPort >= 1.2, HDMI >= 2.0
Ultrium LTO > 6 (note: XP never support LTFS)
Vulkan, SPIR-V

I'm sure missed a lot so please add more and correct me too.

Edited by TuMaGoNx

8 hours ago, TuMaGoNx said:

To celebrate the year when XP will be EOL lets list feature that's not supported by/for Windows XP. The list meant to be "technology enabler", so no software listed here.

[...]

I'm sure missed a lot so please add more and correct me too.

SNI support

Internet explorer HTML 5 support

USB 3 stack (driver supported by e.g ASMedia)

That's not exact. ASMedia and Renessas/NEC provide full working drivers and work flawlessly in every situation. I've had a long personal experience of using them (from incept time) without any issues. Intel driver stack does not exist and are a big problem, because they come with every Intel chipset, from Panther Point on, and usually can even be the only USB 3 hardware present on most Intel-intended boards, from that-point-in-time on. VIA hardware is said to support XP too, but I've never had any personal exerience with them, so I really don't know. Other manufacturer's USB 3 hardware, in case any exists, I know nothing about. The hoped-for ReactOS universal USB 3 driver stack had a promising start in 2016, due to Ramateja's work, but then ground down to a stop and remains on a back-burner since then. I think this is the shortest precise summary possible of this really complex and pressing issue.

UDF >= 2.5 (HD-DVD driver supported by Toshiba / Bluray driver supported by Panasonic)

The Toshiba drivers also support Blu-Ray, according to MDGx. Those by Panasonic I know nothing about, and I'd be much grateful to you if you kindly elaborate on them or provide links to 3rd-party info on them.

NVMe

Well, there are Kai Schtrom's drivers, which depend on 2k3's storport.sys, which @Dietmar has had lots of success with. Myself, OTOH, have failed miserably at getting to work, presumably due to the fact that storport.sys appears unable to get loaded on machines already running scsiport.sys. There are two more threads about this, one here and the other over on reboot.pro, but I don't have links to them on hand to provide. All of them, however, include posts by @Dietmar, so they can easily be found by perusing his post lists (member's content).

@someguy25: thanks, added

@dencorso:
I'm talking about USB generic, I will add NEC
toshiba support UDF 2.50 Panasonic support 2.60 I don't remember the link anymore but filename is MEIUDF-5.3.0.1_XP-X86_EN.exe and MEIUDF-5.3.0.1_XP-X64_EN.exe
storport is referenced DIRECTLY by ntos kernel itself so I don't think if vanilla XP kernel which don't know about it understand how to deal with driver requiring it.

1 hour ago, TuMaGoNx said:

storport is referenced DIRECTLY by ntos kernel itself so I don't think if vanilla XP kernel which don't know about it understand how to deal with driver requiring it.

Kai Schtrom's drivers are an open-source port to 2k3 of the open-source Community OFA NVMe drivers. So, anyone with time, patience and C-programming ability could undertake to convert it to scsiport.sys from storport.sys, in order to enable proper XP-friendly behavior. Yet, on hardware lacking any other storage media, @Dietmar had lots of sucess with Kai's drivers and storport.sys, having succeeded even with booting from NVMe on XP (do read the long thread I gave you a link to, it's worth the effort) !!!
Thanks for the info on the Panasonic driver ,,, I'll sure pursue it and report back.

@dencorso Before I read that long thread :D, can you clarify that OFA driver has been ported to SCSIPort? because you still mention 2k3 storport.sys + Kai's drivers, that's make no sense to me unless ntoskrnl.exe modded.
@caliber so it doesn't work at 5Gbps (with correct BIOS XHCI hand-off setting) ? Does it show as XHCI in device manager?

On 1/4/2019 at 12:35 AM, caliber said:

NEC driver does not take any effect to me. My USB.3 PCI card is slow like any other USB.2 output port

Is your PCI (??? do you mean PCI-e ?) card based on uPD720200/720200a or on uPD720201/720202? What southbridge does your motherboard work on?

2 minutes ago, TuMaGoNx said:

can you clarify that OFA driver has been ported to SCSIPort?

Sure. I said the OFA drivers was ported to 2k3 (which already uses storport.sys)... point being that the OFA drivers (both v. 1.3 and 1.5) use one storport.sys that is Vista+, being absent on 2k3, which was explicitly implemented internally by Kai, to allow those drivers to work on 2k3. No OFA drivers have ever been converted to scsiport.sys ever, but when one drops the latest version of 2k3's storport.sys into the system32\drivers of XP, provided nobody causes scsiport.sys to load before the kernel tries to initialize the NVMe.sys, it apparently causes storport.sys to get loaded and then gets loaded itself, starts and works successfuly. But if scsiport.sys is already loaded it fails to even start (EventID: 7026. The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: nvme). That's about all I know about it. :)

@dencorso I see that make sense now, conflict is possible because third party controller driver like that loaded by service 0 (boot) but even earlier are system driver referenced kernel itself. Then does it work something like Alcohol virtual drive? Or RAID/SCSI/AHCI controller...

I will  add Kai driver link

34 minutes ago, TuMaGoNx said:

Then does it work something like Alcohol virtual drive? Or RAID/SCSI/AHCI controller...

No. When it manages to get loaded it works as native NVMe (faster than AHCI, unless limited by NVMe/PCI-e adapter, version of PCI-e x4 bus present or maximum bandwidth capabilities of the southbridge the moderboard is built on). It's awesome!!! :yes:
BTW, I think you might break your list in two parts: one listing thingsthat have some support, like USB 3, NVMe and UDF 2.5/2.6, and the other listing only desirable things with no support whatsoever. It makes for a faster and clearer referencing, IMO. Of course, this is just my 2¢, and you should feel free to ignore it. :angel

On 1/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, someguy25 said:

SNI support

Internet explorer HTML 5 support

Strictly speaking, these are missing from IE8, not XP itself. If you use a modern Web browser (e.g., FF 52 ESR or one of its XP-compatible forks) instead of IE8, you'll have those features.

ESNI, however, is unsupported (and will likely remain so, as discussed on the other thread).

@Mathwiz is there article explain the current situation? like if SNI in the same situation of say SSL3.
Anyway I think such things maybe too browser specific for this list, providing HTML 5 support is another thing though. I will remove browser specific features.

With all due respect, let me tell you what: ProxHTTPSProxyMII (available from @heinoganda by request via PM) provides full certificates (ciphers) and TLS 1.1/1.2 (although the latest updates have now solved the TLS issue) for both IE8 and other browsers (esp. Chrome 49).  Thence, Chrome 49 / ProxHTTPSProxyMII fully solve the HTML5 issue. @roytam1's New Moon and Basilisk/UXP (best, IMO) also do solve the HTML5 and cipher issue, not requiring the addition of ProxHTTPSProxyMII. So I think we're pretty well covered on this matter. IMO there isn't any real HTML5 / cipher / TLS issue with XP at the moment. Moreover,  @heinoganda also has been providing a certificate updater for the root cerificates and  a flash updater specific for Chrome 49, allowing it to remain easy to use and functinal. Using IE8 just for MU/WU and either the latest Basilisk/UXP or Chrome 49 / ProxHTTPSProxyMII has provided me a fully satisfactory browsing experience up to now, and I bet it'll continue so for as long as @heinoganda and @roytam1 kindly keep on supporting the community with their awesome work. :worship::worship::worship:

On 1/4/2019 at 8:09 PM, Mathwiz said:

SNI Support

.........................is there article explain the current situation?

@TuMaGoNx

Hi.

Try a test with I.E.8 and with New Moon,Firefox,Basilisk...........:

xmcMTjfD_t.jpg

https://cc.dcsec.uni-hannover.de/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

Edited by Sampei.Nihira