How to update Windows 2000. How to install Extended Kernel.

Jakob99

Does anyone know how to properly update Windows 2000 so it works with Extended Kernel? Also, how do I get Extended Kernel to work? I opened up App Compatibility and dragged the Firefox 42 installer to it, but it said it needed Windows XP SP2 or newer. And one more question. Do the Firefox 5x.x's (e.g. Firefox version 52) work with Extended Kernel or is version 45 the latest working version. I want to have a Firefox newer than 12. I am running Windows 2000 Extended Kernel on an actual Acer computer with it communicating with my Windows 10 laptop so I can get internet access (via ethernet). I broke W2k by mistake and am reinstalling it, but am gonna wait to do anything until I know what I need to update and the order I must update it in Also, links to the files would be appreciated so I don't have to hunt for them. And sorry for the question overload, but would I be safe to install an ethernet and graphics driver before installing Extended Kernel, or would I have to wait on that until after I get W2k updated and Extended Kernel installed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Windows 2000 was not reinstalled, but rather repaired through the CD. The way it was repairing itself made it seem like it was completely reinstalling itself, but it didn't as everything I had before the BSOD is still there, but Extended Kernel is gone, so if anyone can help me get that working properly please, I'd greatly appreciate it

Edited by Jakob99

Find updates here http://windowsarchives.com/updates/

Install win 2k.

Install all drivers for hardware.

Install SP4.

Install IE 6.1

Install DX 9. Media player 9,

Install Update Roll up 1

Install KB2817183-WINDOWS2000-X86

Install KB951748-v2 - WINDOWS2000-X86

Install exKernel http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1299806.html  English(v2.9b) Windows2000-KB935839-v29bG-x86-ENU.EXE

Install VC++ Runtimes

Install Windows-Update-Agent30-x86.exe

Install  Windows Installer 3.1

Install BITS

Enable TLS 1.0 and  Disable SSL 2.0/3.0

Apply all Windows Update (except root certs update and IE6SP1 update) 

Make a back up of your system using ghost, acronis or some other disk imaging software.  So if u mess it up after you did all of this u can just put it back.

PS extended core crashes and blue screens my PC,,, so install that after u made a backup at your own risk.

Edited by Destro

Id asked Tomaz before about UUrollup and he said use Blackwingcats update instead, because it is better.  So I think he said that he was using very old version of BWC shell, and kernel files and what not in his UU, and since he stopped developing it, he just said i thought use BWCs because it is more developed than mine.

I mean if you just want a super stripped down 2000. Than you dont install any updates, and u just slipstreap sp4 and that is it, and rip everything including IE out of the ISO using nlite.  If i want super small windows I do not even bother, remove everything with nlite to it gets to its smallest size that will still run whatever programs i want to use.  By doing that u essentially are removing components that reduces your attack surface anyways so you don't even need the update.  since there is nothing to update since that file is not there to be attacked.  That pretty much goes for XP, however XP is more useful than 2000 at this point so you may not wanna do that.  Unless u want it to run as smooth as 2000 would.

Edited by Destro

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2019 at 5:51 AM, sdfox7 said:

The updates I usually install are SP4, Security Rollup Package, UURollup (and Internet Explorer 6 SP1 depending on machine). I try to keep 2000 as lean and mean as possible.

With all of the other updates, and might as well install XP in my opinion.

I would agree that installing additional components such as WMP 9 or DirectX 9 may not be necessary (and could potentially be omitted if you want a system with smaller footprint). However, the vast majority of updates and hotfixes listed on my website are simply security fixes. They do not add "bloat" to the OS, but rather just replace old/insecure/buggy versions of the already existing files.

I personally recommend slipstreaming everything possible just for the sake of simplicity and to avoid any possibility that some system components will be left not updated. If you know what you are doing and want to cherrypick specific components or updates, there is nothing wrong with that. I used to do it in the past, but now I just tend to install the OS as it is, and then disable what I do not need. I did once manage to play with HFSLIP/nLite and shrink my Windows 2000 installation (fully updated, that is) to use very little disk space and less than 20 MB of RAM, but the system was basically only "for show" and not really usable :P.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, Destro said:

Id asked Tomaz before about UUrollup and he said use Blackwingcats update instead, because it is better.  So I think he said that he was using very old version of BWC shell, and kernel files and what not in his UU, and since he stopped developing it, he just said i thought use BWCs because it is more developed than mine.

Yeah, UURollup is based on old versions of BWC kernel/core, and as such it is quite outdated at this point. It does include additional files which are not present in the BWC packages (e.g. new fonts, etc.), but these are not really required for a functional Windows 2000 system.

Edited by tomasz86