Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

caliber

January 1st 2019 / still 4%

On 3/12/2019 at 8:42 AM, caliber said:

the first thing I do right after a clean XP installation is to swap over to the classic menu (task bar / properties)

Same here. Classic start menu all the way.

I saw an interview with Steve Ballmer at the time Windows 7 was released and he said 7 is an improvement over Vista because they got rid of a lot of old code.

Such as? The interviewer asked.

The old start menu.

I thought, you id***, that is the first setting I change on a clean install.

Well, we all saw what happened with Windows 8. The start menu dissappeared altogether. Apparently Ballmer had a tic about the start menu. Not long after that MS gave him the bum's rush out the door in the form of retiring on an accelerated timetable.

MS if you are reading this, WE WANT THE CLASSIC START MENU BACK.

ReactOS is looking better and better all the time.

12 hours ago, antiproton said:

Well, we all saw what happened with Windows 8. The start menu disappeared altogether.

To me, the Win 8 "Metro" UI reminded me way too much of the old Windows 3.1 Program Mangler, except updated with animations. I also didn't care too much for its "tiled" appearance - that reminded me of Windows 2!

M$ actually could have gone "back to the future" with an improved PM. Back in the day, Symantec did it with their Norton Desktop, giving Win 3.1 an almost Mac-like appearance. But in this day and age where everyone makes copyright and patent claims on the most trivial grounds imaginable* I suppose M$ didn't want the legal exposure. So they ended up with Metro. Yuck.

*AIUI Apple actually sued a company selling a Windows-like UI for PCs called Gem Desktop, because it had a "Trash Can" just like the Mac! Which is why Windows has a "Recycle Bin" instead - or at least, so I've heard.

6 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

AIUI Apple actually sued a company selling a Windows-like UI for PCs called Gem Desktop, because it had a "Trash Can" just like the Mac! Which is why Windows has a "Recycle Bin" instead - or at least, so I've heard.

Apple actually sued Microsoft, claiming that Windows' look and feel was too similar to Mac OS. The case got dismissed on the grounds that they both copied the Xerox PARC graphical user interface. Apple also sued HP over their NewWave GUI and they lost all claims except that NewWave's trash can and folder icons were too similar to Mac OS. That case didn't have anything to do with Windows, but Microsoft probably took it as a warning to avoid using a trash can icon in Windows 95.

Apple's lawsuit against Digital Research over GEM never went to trial, because DR was fearful of a prolonged legal battle they couldn't afford, so they changed GEM to be much less Mac-like, except in the version used in Atari ST computers.

• Like 3