January 1st 2019 / still 4%

caliber

4 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Besides I like the idea of people spitting out coffee when they check their website stats and they see "Windows XP x86 - Chrome 80".

''For example, in the future, a website won't be able to tell if a visitor using Chrome is running Chrome on Windows 7 or Windows 11''

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-to-phase-out-user-agent-strings-in-chrome/

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

:cheerleader: One full year after EoS, XP remains alive and kicking! :cheerleader:
Notice that two months after EoS, the curve clearly changed, because it became dominated by die-hards...WinXP_Userbase_Decay.gif

Edited by dencorso
Long live XP!

I'm certainly helping as I made my ThinkPad T41 my daily driver and dual booted 98SE and NT 5.1 on it, instead of my preferred NT 5.0 (not sure if external WLAN would work on it) or 5.2 (router hates its older crypto libraries it seems turned out to be an issue with an older driver that affected xp as well). When I compared to Q4OS based on Debian 10 with Trinity, XP has much lower RAM consumption (350 MB vs 120 MB) and I only have 512 MB of DDR400 in the laptop. So while Linux keeps moving on into a 64-bit abyss, 2000 and XP stay around to serve older hardware.

All of the casual XP users I know left it years ago (some lost the eye strength necessary to use a computer or upgraded to W7 in 2012, while some hung around through to W10 in 2016) but I'm still really pleased with the performance of the Pentium M on XP x86, let alone the Xeon X5670 running Windows x64 (lots of driver documentation refers to Windows XP x64 as just Windows x64, since it is a pioneer OS).

I started using XP in November 2002 and I can't believe that I'm still using it now, even though I still resent the changes made to it with SP2 (like "Open File - Security Warning" and removing "Professional" from the startup screen). Using a 16 year old computer would mean using one from 1986 at the time, so I guess no one would think that XP would last that long!

Edited by win32

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally happened. The May results show Windows XP is at 0.96%, falling below the 1% milestone. I think Youtube phasing out support was the main driver of this.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:55 AM, Xack said:

It's finally happened. The May results show Windows XP is at 0.96%, falling below the 1% milestone. I think Youtube phasing out support was the main driver of this.

Hopefully, the XP users find creative ways of downloading the videos as a whole! It is still possible to watch online videos, even with hardware that's too weak to stream it in real-time.

Meanwhile, I sold two Windows XP computers last week. Whether these machines will go online, is doubtable... but there is more XP out there, than the numbers show.

In fact, the number of computers with windows XP installed is much, much larger. Almost all payment terminals, ATMs and cash registers still work on XP. Also, a lot of computers are used in organizations where there is not even access to the Internet. And also in special equipment in hospitals, auto diagnostics and so on.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Windows XP just need a developer team to develop and support browser. Some websites do not give you a chance to try your Windows XP browser and just redirect user to "Bad browser" page. I do not use those websites and write critical review about their practice. But I know only 2-3 website that move you to "Bad browser" page.