Windows XP SSL Certificate Errors

Hello.

I've installed Windows XP x64 SP2 on my main PC a week ago. Everything seems to work wonderfully, except for some weird problems with some SSL certificates. Google Earth doesn't seem to work, Steam can't download games ("Can't connect to server"), Chrome can't load some sites saying ERROR_SSL_"something". So I've been trying to figure it out, but nothing I do seems to work. I've installed some updates, enabled Automatic Updates letting Windows to install hundreds more, I've tried @heinoganda's certificate updater.. Nothing, just nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Tripredacus
title

try this but i don't know if that is your problem.  https://msfn.org/board/topic/175170-root-certificates-and-revoked-certificates-for-windows-xp/?page=3

in a week or two I am reinstalling xp64 bit on a computer that had win 7 on it, so Ill see if I have those same issues.  But i don't use those programs.

Edited by Destro

There is a link somewhere that has the old root certificate updater if you download that then download the latest certs from microsoft and put them in the same folder it will update the root certs and should fix it, I'm about to go out but if you haven't got it by then i'll post a how to I also have a script that works with it that i'll post too.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:10 PM, Destro said:

Shoudn't be a problem.  could be a issue with IE8,and needing an update.  not sure becasue i never had that problem on normal XP..Maybe youre missing somthing.

Doesn't seem to work either.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:06 PM, Cyber Axe said:

There is a link somewhere that has the old root certificate updater if you download that then download the latest certs from microsoft and put them in the same folder it will update the root certs and should fix it, I'm about to go out but if you haven't got it by then i'll post a how to I also have a script that works with it that i'll post too.

Wasn't able to do that myself.

Sorry have no clue of system stuff, but this topic is already two days old, so just a few thoughts. What browser are you using? Could it be it's just too old for TLS1.2?
There are some updated forks for XP available around here, several e.g. by roytam1. As they are based on Gecko, they don't depend from the systems certificates. A little list with their system requirements is direly missing though, that's very confusing. Especially: which ones need XP-SP3, and which still run on SP2? Which ones run without SSE, or only with SSE2? Which ones are still allowed by google's reCaptcha?

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177703-browsers-for-xp-after-the-end-of-firefox-updates-on-september-5-2018/
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=92

Another trap: some major sites have started intentionally kicking XP users, but luckily decide this by the useragent string. If yours is set to default, it sends "Windows NT5...". If true, would try if it helps to fake it to Windows NT6.1 (=Win7)
If no addon, by setting this pref in about:config page: general.useragent.override = Mozilla...

For Steam:

/Program Files/Steam/config/" and open the file "config.vdf" in a text editor.

Within the file, find the text

"InstallConfigStore" {

"Software" {

"Valve" {

"Steam"

"cip"

Create a new line under the line for "cip" and paste this text into that line:

"CS" "valve511.steamcontent.com;valve501.steamcontent.com;valve517.steamcontent.com;valve557.steamcontent.com;valve513.steamcontent.com;valve535.steamcontent.com;valve546.steamcontent.com;valve538.steamcontent.com;valve536.steamcontent.com;valve530.steamcontent.com;valve559.steamcontent.com;valve545.steamcontent.com;valve518.steamcontent.com;valve548.steamcontent.com;valve555.steamcontent.com;valve556.steamcontent.com;valve506.steamcontent.com;valve544.steamcontent.com;valve525.steamcontent.com;valve567.steamcontent.com;valve521.steamcontent.com;valve510.steamcontent.com;valve542.steamcontent.com;valve519.steamcontent.com;valve526.steamcontent.com;valve504.steamcontent.com;valve500.steamcontent.com;valve554.steamcontent.com;valve562.steamcontent.com;valve524.steamcontent.com;valve502.steamcontent.com;valve505.steamcontent.com;valve547.steamcontent.com;valve560.steamcontent.com;valve503.steamcontent.com;valve507.steamcontent.com;valve553.steamcontent.com;valve520.steamcontent.com;valve550.steamcontent.com;valve531.steamcontent.com;valve558.steamcontent.com;valve552.steamcontent.com;valve563.steamcontent.com;valve540.steamcontent.com;valve541.steamcontent.com;valve537.steamcontent.com;valve528.steamcontent.com;valve523.steamcontent.com;valve512.steamcontent.com;valve532.steamcontent.com;valve561.steamcontent.com;valve549.steamcontent.com;valve522.steamcontent.com;valve514.steamcontent.com;valve551.steamcontent.com;valve564.steamcontent.com;valve543.steamcontent.com;valve565.steamcontent.com;valve529.steamcontent.com;valve539.steamcontent.com;valve566.steamcontent.com;valve165.steamcontent.com;valve959.steamcontent.com;valve164.steamcontent.com;valve1611.steamcontent.com;valve1601.steamcontent.com;valve1617.steamcontent.com;valve1603.steamcontent.com;valve1602.steamcontent.com;valve1610.steamcontent.com;valve1615.steamcontent.com;valve909.steamcontent.com;valve900.steamcontent.com;valve905.steamcontent.com;valve954.steamcontent.com;valve955.steamcontent.com;valve1612.steamcontent.com;valve1607.steamcontent.com;valve1608.steamcontent.com;valve1618.steamcontent.com;valve1619.steamcontent.com;valve1606.steamcontent.com;valve1605.steamcontent.com;valve1609.steamcontent.com;valve907.steamcontent.com;valve901.steamcontent.com;valve902.steamcontent.com;valve1604.steamcontent.com;valve908.steamcontent.com;valve950.steamcontent.com;valve957.steamcontent.com;valve903.steamcontent.com;valve1614.steamcontent.com;valve904.steamcontent.com;valve952.steamcontent.com;valve1616.steamcontent.com;valve1613.steamcontent.com;valve958.steamcontent.com;valve956.steamcontent.com;valve906.steamcontent.com"

Source: (It says wine on the page but the fix is the same)

21 hours ago, someguy25 said:

You could try advanced chrome 54 (aka updated chrome for xp)

I've tried it and still have that problem, but YouTube seems to work better so I will keep it. By the way, is it sure that it is safe? Because my anti-virus (Symantec) was screaming at me for being a virus.

1 hour ago, Windows 2000 said:

I've tried it and still have that problem, but YouTube seems to work better so I will keep it. By the way, is it sure that it is safe? Because my anti-virus (Symantec) was screaming at me for being a virus.

My AVG isnt screaming that its a "virus". Probably Symantec doesnt like unofficial Chromium builds :dubbio: