DirectX 11 on Windows XP?

NojusK

So i was browsing on xpforums.com and i found a thread <link> . Ok i downloaded and installed it on my PC and i opened dxdiag and i see this:dxdiag.JPG.a6fa37506adf2db2e634ccbe55dd1a22.JPG

It's saying DirectX 11.0 (also its saying the os is Windows 7 Pro,but the build number is XP's :P )

I dont know will directX 11 games run since i don't have any samples to test it:P

Patches been around for years.  I never tried the 11 but i tried that 10 patch and it could get some games that didn't fully support Dx 10 to run on 9.  It basically runs those games in 9 mode, with newer files.

Edited by Destro

There are two patches: one is a backport of the official DX11 done by a Russian team (the same team that backported DX10), the other one is a wrapper for OpenGl. The thing is that the backported version has never been finished and it has a very limited compatibility with games. Besides, the Russian team that was working on it dropped the project. As result, @Svyatpro and others ported the Linux implementation to XP: on Linux DX10/11 games go through a wrapper which translates the calls to OpenGl, executes them with the GPU and then it translates it back. Although OpenGl is a fairly good protocol and the translated calcs are "just" Single Precision Floating Point which are perfectly handled by the GPU (both AMD and NVIDIA) due to the large number of 32bit capable units in consumer GPUs (there are a lot of single precision units and half precision units in consumer GPUs and just a few double precision units), unfortunately translating calls back and forth slows the whole thing down.

In other words: does it work? Sort of. What do I do if it doesn't? Either help the project yourself or nothing.

My memory might not be perfect, though, but I'm pretty sure this was the situation 'till a few years ago, before people started forgetting about it.

P.s I don't play games; last time I did was many years ago and I've never been a gamer; the only reason why I use a GPU (other than display a video) is to use OpenCl to speed up Discrete Cosine Transform and Fourier Transform calculations. In other words, I couldn't care less if the latest DX prevents a game from running on XP as I wouldn't be playing it anyway...

Edited by FranceBB

On 12/27/2018 at 11:08 AM, someguy25 said:

So i was browsing on xpforums.com and i found a thread <link> .

Ok i downloaded and installed it on my PC and i opened dxdiag and i see this:

It's saying DirectX 11.0 (also its saying the os is Windows 7 Pro,but the build number is XP's :P )

I dont know will directX 11 games run since i don't have any samples to test it:P

thanks for the link.

I have installed multiple patches over the years DX10, DX11..etc with no luck

I have recently installed one which seems to represent DX10 although the dxdiag window does only show DX9 all the time.

screenshot.2.png

• 2 months later...

Sorry to post in a old thread but.

what about "mega maker" ? It was just updated yesterday Mach 26, 2019 to 1.5 ...and apparently the developer used Game Maker Studio 2 now ...instead of Studio 1.4 .. which studio 2 "i think" was only directX 11 based.. :(

So of course now mega maker just goes "not a valid win32 application" ...the previous version 1.4.2.1 of mega maker worked perfectly 100% fine on windows xp cause of the last studio thing, and after installing the TLS 1.2 thing which makes online stuff work fine now.

So does that drectx 11 hack the OP of this topic mentioned, would work with the Mega Maker 1.5 ?? :( or the thing IntMD said in his post

download link from the homepage:
https://megamanmaker.com/

the author mentioned about it not using directX 9 files here :|
https://megamanmaker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7710#p71321

Edited by rockmaster113

Windows XP compatible version of WineD3D is very old (2015) and its Direct3D 11 implementation was still pretty bad in late in 2017, when DXVK emerged, which was soon capable of running some serious D3D11 games (eg. Grand Theft Auto V or The Witcher 3) with decent performance unlike WineD3D, which choked on them.

DXVK's trick is translating D3D11 calls to Vulkan rather than OpenGL, which is practically significantly less expensive performance-wise. Obviously, it's of no use on XP because no Windows XP compatible graphics driver implements Vulkan.

3 hours ago, rockmaster113 said:

So uhh, there's no hope in being able to run mega maker 1.5 on the wined3d or the dxvk ??

Well, apart from DirectX 11, it also wants several other API functions that don't exist on XP.

Oh... damn, well that really bums me out. :( im "not" going to get a new computer with windows 7+ ...just to play only 1 single game.

I tried asking the author if there was any sort of "compatibility" options or anything like that with this "game maker studio 2" for compiling the program...that he used on the new version of mega maker...over the previous studio 1.4 ...which was used on all previous versions of Mega Man Maker ..and worked fine with XP before...but never got a response back.

Edited by rockmaster113

• 1 month later...

Friendly reminder that wined3d is just slow because it sucks with buffer management, not because opengl has any particular unholy fault.

It is the supposed equivalent of all microsoft's apis up to 11, after all? If any dxvk benefits of a way more "normal" labour (then vulkan surely helps delivering lower cpu usage, but it is not like that should make the difference between playable and slideshow)

Of course you ain't getting any of it, if the last binaries you have available are so ancient they lack any glimpse of csmt, pba, esync, and staging.

p.s. I was under the impression there was some kind of vulkan driver for nvidia cards?