Explorer locks up on start - reinstall imminent?

AnX

I have a fresh install of Windows XP, updated, on the 2nd PC I'm using. Initially there weren't any issues with Explorer, but after I installed a driver from Nvidia, explorer has kept locking up ever since. I am forced to end it via task manager and restart it. Even when I completely removed the driver, the same thing happens. 

Will I have to reinstall windows? I honestly can't point to anything else that's causing this. I've uninstalled and disabled as many programs as possible, and yet, the issue persists. 

1 hour ago, AnX said:

I have a fresh install of Windows XP, updated, on the 2nd PC I'm using. Initially there weren't any issues with Explorer, but after I installed a driver from Nvidia, explorer has kept locking up ever since. I am forced to end it via task manager and restart it. Even when I completely removed the driver, the same thing happens. 

Will I have to reinstall windows? I honestly can't point to anything else that's causing this. I've uninstalled and disabled as many programs as possible, and yet, the issue persists. 

I did recently had the same problem.I had to terminate explorer.exe everytime to get my explorer not to lock up.After lots of times it got to normal :)It might be a startup program that is hanging up your explorer

Edited by someguy25

18 hours ago, someguy25 said:

I did recently had the same problem.I had to terminate explorer.exe everytime to get my explorer not to lock up.After lots of times it got to normal :)It might be a startup program that is hanging up your explorer

I've tried disabling startup programs to no avail. I honestly think something must've messed up the system.

Well I'll be darned. I used System Restore and it fixed everything. I used it as a last resort, but it seems it actually did what it was supposed to do. Problem solved. The last time I used System Restore was 2009, so I didn't know what to expect.

XD you have a bad video card or a bad driver install.  Try unistal the driver and then do a clean sweep with DDU version that will run on XP and full uninstall the nvidia driver. see if problem persists with no driver.  there is solution.

Edited by Destro

8 hours ago, Destro said:

XD you have a bad video card or a bad driver install.  Try unistal the driver and then do a clean sweep with DDU version that will run on XP and full uninstall the nvidia driver. see if problem persists with no driver.  there is solution.

Well I have two GT 710s, so I'll probably install the other one and see if that helps. Although, the issue isn't as bad after I ran system restore.

Might be related to NET Framework. Some installation programs install NET Framework.

If you search Google you'll find NET Framework 4 is known to cause "hanging" issues in Windows XP, at least for the first several minutes.