Discord and Windows XP

I think Firefox 52.9.1 is not an official release, I tried it for a short time and there were 1-2 things I didn't like so I went back to 52.9.0, not sure it would fix your freeze/lag/screen flicker issue but you can always try it.

@kuja killer, thanks for confirming that the Server icons are not showing for you also in Chrome 49.

I know this is a wishful thinking but do you think we can import some file or something from Firefox 52 into Chrome 49 and make the icons show in Chrome 49 also?

• 2 months later...

I managed to make "discordapp" work on windows xp with almost all features, just desktop notifications that don't work, what I did was simply install the chrome360 browser (a chrome 78 mod that works on xp) and then download the webapp discord and install it on Chrome 360, then on the extensions page, clicked on the details and then clicked to place a shortcut on the desktop, ready! a perfectly functional discord in XP even for sharing the screen!

chrome360: https://archive.org/details/360EE_Modified_Version

note: if there is a certificate error go to advanced settings and look for where it is written (certificate) and then uncheck all the boxes below

Discord WebApp:https://github.com/NeverDecaf/discord-chrome-app/releases

Edited by Andrey

• 7 months later...

I tried your advice Andrey, and what I got was this runtime error when trying to run the installer.

My PC has a lot of weird errors (I fear hardware issues) so I wonder if this is reproducible for other people.  This is the case for multiple unzipped downloaded installers from multiple servers, on Windows XP SP3.

360 Extreme Explorer Installation Error.PNG

On 12/16/2018 at 11:37 AM, NojusK said:

I like the web version too but the voice chat function doesnt work.It says "Upgrade to the latest chrome,opera,firefox 38+ or use the app"

That p***ed me off so much. I started using Discord in its early days, back around December 2015. As web-based VoIP it worked perfectly back then. Chrome 49 still had the best experience out of the browsers I have; Firefox-based browsers would either constantly blank out or display those scroll bars as @VistaLover saw in Serpent. Advanced Chrome would turn up a blank page, ironically. I didn't try testing VoIP with New Moon 28, but I imagine it would not have been a good experience given the way Discord behaves on any Firefox-based browser.

For now, I've sworn off using Discord, using Steam and IRC instead. They spontaneously locked me out of my account a few months ago for no reason whatsoever; just started demanding I fork over a cell phone number. Specifically a cell phone number, they would not allow Google Voice, burner, or even landline numbers. Their support staff outright refused to tell me why my account had been locked, too, citing reasons of "safety" and "security." Which rang absolutely hollow considering I own the account and I'm the one asking why they locked it.

They've changed a lot since 2015, and not for the better.

• 2 weeks later...

After many updates, the only way to use DC in XP stable and with all features (in the web app) is using Extreme Explorer 360 (better use repacks or modded versions to remove tracking).

It still works for me in regular firefox 52.9.1 ...but with that extremely horrible lagging crap i mentioned before. :( I only can look at discord maybe once a day or less cause it's way too much of a god dang freaking pain to deal with. takes like 20 seconds to "click" on anything - channel name, private message, just typing a few letters at a time.

I heard it's cause of this stupid "electron" thing or something discord uses, that firefox just struggles like a "snail" with. :(

Edited by kuja killer

43 minutes ago, kuja killer said:

It still works for me in regular firefox 52.9.1 ...but with that extremely horrible lagging crap i mentioned before. :( I only can look at discord maybe once a day or less cause it's way too much of a god dang freaking pain to deal with. takes like 20 seconds to "click" on anything - channel name, private message, just typing a few letters at a time.

have you tried force old firefox mobile user agent? That helped on me

44 minutes ago, kuja killer said:

I heard it's cause of this stupid "electron" thing or something discord uses, that firefox just struggles like a "snail" with. :(

discord desktop app uses electron and web client just uses too much js. Electron is basically Chromium wrapper to webpage to ship it as app that soydevs really loves to use instead of making native well optimised low ram consuming client.