Discord and Windows XP

Probably its not possible to get an actual app to get working.Or make a XP-compatable app from scratch(i think discord is open source) and make it look like the original discord but xp compatable :)

23 minutes ago, i430VX said:

No I do not believe it is.
Web version works good enough for me anyway.

I like the web version too but the voice chat function doesnt work.It says "Upgrade to the latest chrome,opera,firefox 38+ or use the app"

5 hours ago, 404notfound said:

Electron-based, I think.
I just stick with web version.

Yep, Discord uses Electron and Electron doesn't work on XP. Besides, the web version doesn't work neither on Chrome 49 nor on Chromium 54 as the page doesn't load and it's just blank. On Firefox 59.9 ESR Discord *does* load, however it's buggy.

I think @Dibya will be pleased to know that another app uses Electron. (He hates it xD).

On 12/16/2018 at 9:37 PM, someguy25 said:

I like the web version too but the voice chat function doesnt work.It says "Upgrade to the latest chrome,opera,firefox 38+ or use the app"

On 12/17/2018 at 4:30 PM, IntMD said:

IIRC roytam1's Basilisk fork (I dunno how's the case with PM28) allows you to use the Discord voicechat feature.

... There was a recent identical thread over at the Vista subforum:

Read my detailed reply here... or TL;DR:

1. Use Basilisk52[Serpent 52.9.0] with a SSUAO for Discord to pretend you're using FirefoxESR 60 on Win7+, or

2. Use FirefoxESR 52.9.0 and change its default UAO for Discord, with the aid of extensions, to the one of FxESR 60 (on Win7+).

New Moon (27 or 28) won't work at all, because of no support for WebRTC (used by Discord's voice chat feature).

Edited by VistaLover

• 1 year later...
On 12/18/2018 at 11:40 PM, VistaLover said:

1. Use Basilisk52[Serpent 52.9.0] with a SSUAO for Discord to pretend you're using FirefoxESR 60 on Win7+, or

For some reason this trick stopped working in roytam1’s Basilisk forks. But it still works in Feodor's Centaury.

I use this string right now: Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE%; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0

Edited by Mabeso
typo

Hi guys, do you know how I can make the Discord Server icons on the left to show in Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112? They worked fine at first but I guess Discord made some changes and some time ago they disappeared for me in Chrome:

739001311_Chrome49.0_2623_112.thumb.jpg.f5276b4194c1ae86a948ccca85424cd4.jpg

The Server icons still show for me in Firefox 52.9.0:

1545234342_Firefox52.9.0.thumb.jpg.d19ab0d88b6fb5cd3924b1780f10fd3f.jpg

Hmm, i got a question about discord since someone decided to make this topic. So i have the firefox 52.9.1 like everyone else here. And it loads just fine and all but...holy freaking crap it lags like utter hell and i do not understand why. I've got literally all of the important "text/appearance" options, animations, etc whatever all turned off in my profile settings, but it doesnt seem to help though.

What i mean is, just clicking on anything like a server icon, profile name, typing messages, anything will literally freeze firefox dead for 10 to 20 seconds until i can do anything, and the screen also flickers pure white (just discord, "not" the actual firefox itself) Does anyone know what im talking about ?? :(

I've tried googling about this many times before and seen people mention these very exact same experiences in even the latest firefox 70+ versions ...windows 8/10, and so on. I dont understand. Closing/re--opening firefox fresh doesnt make a difference. This only ever is with discord web.

This is not a problem in Chrome 49 though, it loads all just fine there, no lag, no freezing browser, everything is instant/smooth there.

On 8/20/2020 at 11:02 AM, Mabeso said:

For some reason this trick stopped working in roytam1’s Basilisk forks.

Hello :) 

I'm not a Discord user myself, so the report "this trick stopped working" doesn't provide, at least to me, any detail I could use to troubleshoot further...
My original post you quoted was from 20 months ago so, yes, many things might've changed since then... :dubbio:

First thing that stands out is the domain name change, discordapp.com -> discord.com
Then, FirefoxESR 60 has been long EoS'ed by Mozilla, likewise Win7 has been EoS'ed by Microsoft... It is highly unlikely Discord have already removed support for Win7 (... but I'm sure they'll do so when paid by Microsoft, who push their spyware Win10 onto everything on-line...), but it's quite probable they've stopped supporting ESR 60; ESR 68 (now at version 68.11) is on the way out, so to speak, while the new ESR is 78; so, in August 2020, I'd use 

general.useragent.override.discord.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

How exactly is your Discord experience broken in @roytam1’s (latest) Basilisk forks (BTW, they're called Serpent; mentioning the official app name tends to upset people upstream... ;) ) ? Please be specific...

But it still works in Feodor's Centaury

This is, of course, the place to post about Serpent (and friends); while letting us know that a different Basilisk fork works for you has importance on its own for the wider XP/Vista communities, it doesn't help to identify that specific "some reason" you wrote about, due to which Discord stopped working in Serpent; if we are to assume the breakage is due to Serpent code and not due to a change implemented recently by Discord, then you can at least perform some bisection to identify the LAST GOOD and the FIRST BAD Serpent builds where Discord is concerned; then it'd be fairly easy (usually...) to pinpoint the culprit change that caused the offending bug...

I use this string right now: Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE%; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0

Is the above used in Centaury? I see two issues with it, though...
1. %OS_SLICE% will reveal the actual OS you're running the browser on, and if that one is XP (Windows NT 5.1;), then you're more probable to get blocked by Discord...
2. Having different values for Mozilla Platform (Gecko) revision (rv:73.0) and Firefox version (69.0) is not standards compliant, so I'm really puzzled the whole UA string works for you (?) 
Reference: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/User-Agent

3. rv:geckoversion indicates the release version of Gecko (such as "17.0").
    In recent browsers, geckoversion is the same as firefoxversion.

FWIW, I have just created a temporary/guest account with Discord and having applied the SSUAO I posted above, I first see some GUI glitches in latest Serpent 52.9.0 32-bit: 

M1Kp375.jpg

... i.e. three vertical (empty) scrollbar placeholders display, while, IMO, they shouldn't (they don't show up in 360EE v12, Chromium 78 based...), but I can't tell anything more is broken, since I've never used Discord before... :o

Edited by VistaLover