[FIXED] DWM crashes when a message comes from Steam

UPDATE: With the lastest Aero Glass (v1.5.11), all problems are fixed. Thanks @bigmuscle 😉👍

Hello. I'm using Windows 10 v1809 (17763.194) and Aero Glass v1.5.10. When I receive a message from the Steam app, the icon is blinking in the start menu. Each time I click the icon, the screen goes up and repeats it 3 times and the DWM collapses completely and Aero Glass is disabled. Does anyone know any solution to this?

sshot-19.png

Edited by bykaracivi45TR

• bykaracivi45TR changed the title to DWM crashes when a message comes from Steam ❌

I just wanted to chime in that I have the same problem albeit slightly differently. Whenever a Steam message comes in and I hover over the Steam icon in my Taskbar, whenever the aero-preview comes up my GPU driver crashes and restores immediately, Glass8 stays functioning however. I'm running Glass8 1.5.10 on 1809 with a GTX 1070 and 417.35 drivers.

1 hour ago, SkyySX said:

I just wanted to chime in that I have the same problem albeit slightly differently. Whenever a Steam message comes in and I hover over the Steam icon in my Taskbar, whenever the aero-preview comes up my GPU driver crashes and restores immediately, Glass8 stays functioning however. I'm running Glass8 1.5.10 on 1809 with a GTX 1070 and 417.35 drivers.

Actually, it's the same problem. I'm also using the GTX 1050 and 416.81 driver version.

22 hours ago, bykaracivi45TR said:

Actually, it's the same problem. I'm also using the GTX 1050 and 416.81 driver version.

Good to know I'm not alone. @bigmuscle can we do anything to help fix this? I noticed it happens with Photoshop too in the Aero-preview, DWM.exe crashes for a moment.

Edited by SkyySX

• 1 month later...

Same here. 1809, LTSC

Had Firefox, Steam, Discord, Winamp and VMWare running mostly. Happened two times in timespan of a few minutes, then nothing.

Wasnt doing anything with Discord or Steam, nor had I any messages come in.

Edited by MT_

• dencorso changed the title to DWM crashes when a message comes from Steam
4 hours ago, bykaracivi45TR said:

The same problem in the beta version, too. We need more stable version. Especially for 1809 (RS5).

I see. Either way...

On 12/21/2018 at 10:27 AM, SkyySX said:

@bigmuscle can we do anything to help fix this? I noticed it happens with Photoshop too in the Aero-preview, DWM.exe crashes for a moment.

Yes, uploading the crash dump (minidump file) that is usually generated after the crash (unless something goes wrong) and stored in C:\AeroGlass folder is always a good idea.

For NVIDIA driver crashes, you may want to ask for help on GeForce forums if updating to latest drivers doesn't solve it.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, UCyborg said:

I see. Either way...

Yes, uploading the crash dump (minidump file) that is usually generated after the crash (unless something goes wrong) and stored in C:\AeroGlass folder is always a good idea.

For NVIDIA driver crashes, you may want to ask for help on GeForce forums if updating to latest drivers doesn't solve it.

I see, where should I upload them to? I noticed the same DWM crashes happening when I ALT+TAB with PS4 Remote Play active. I'll use the beta version temporarily on the weekend as I do not want to run it permanently because of the watermark and debug-window.

Updating the drivers didn't help.