Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

NojusK

Chrome 49 no longer works for me. I use Basillisk now.

First step is to override user agent. I have:
general.useragent.override.skype.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/74.0.3729.169 Safari/537.36

Now, web.skype.com will go into a redirect loop, because of fantastic web design.
When you see "skype cannot be used for emergency calling" at the bottom of the page, start tapping Esc until client is loaded.
This will prevent redirect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

I asked about Skype for Web on Pale Moon forum in Basilisk section. The answer was don't bother.

Why not? I use Skype Web on a daily basis on Chromium 54, I just have to spoof it as Chrome 81 but that's all... It works like a charm, however you won't be able to make calls as it requires the use of an .msi installer that cannot be installed on XP, but for everything else it's fine. Alternatively, you can use Mirada NG with the Skype plugin but that won't allow you to make calls either.

If you don't know how to spoof Chromium, just tell me and I'll paste here my string.

• 3 years later...
On 3/30/2020 at 9:49 PM, UCyborg said:

The last few posts here, including mine, was about getting it working on Basilisk (and derivatives), which is more difficult since Skype is heavily biased towards Chromium.

I know this is a pretty dead thread but skype works perfectly well in those Chinese backported Chromium browser. You can even make it open in a seperate window and add a desktop shortcut. Also. skype doesn't seem to block XP as an OS anymore so changing your user agent is no longer required.