Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

NojusK

Another update from mere seconds ago : officialy the skype program (the latest official 7.36 version available for xp) just died.

suddenly i got the skype sound that i was logged out and i am getting a "Sorry we couldn't connect to skype. please check your internet connection and try again" crying smile with 'retry' doing nothing.

i guess they officially killed their latest working program version on XP :(

My copy is still working at the moment, but from what you say, I suspect that its days (or perhaps hours) are numbered!
:(

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as post has appeared on a new page

MSNP24 protocol is dead, unfortunately. So my MSN-Plugin for Miranda NG is also dead. From reversing the newer Skype 8 client, I know that only the web-based APIs are working. In fact, the new Skype-client is some Javascript Electron-blob wrapped in a windows-client now.

Therefore I changed from MSN-plugin to SkypeWeb-plugin in Miranda and merged contacts via MetaContact. So I can keep using instant messaging via Skype (never needed voice call capability anyway).

My copy of Skype 7.36 has now (not unexpectedly) died.

Strangely, it ran OK the last time, but would not connect to any of the contacts, if I tried to post a message it just said "not delivered yet" permanently.
When I logged out it of course then said "update your operating system if you want to carry on using Skype", or words to that effect! :angry:
Oh well, it was nice while it lasted..........

I'm using the web version of Skype now on Firefox 52.9.1 ESR when I'm in Windows XP using the UA string specified earlier in the thread via my UA string setting add-on.
It does work, but it's extremely slow and unresponsive!

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

43 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I'm using the web version of Skype now on Firefox 52.9.1 ESR when I'm in Windows XP using the UA string specified earlier in the thread via my UA string setting add-on.
It does work, but it's extremely slow and unresponsive!

And of course it won't work with the lighter-weight NM/MyPal browsers.... :realmad:

Maybe it'd work a bit better on Serpent; IDK

• 3 months later...

Skype Web seems to have stopped working for me in Firefox 52.9ESR, I'm just getting "a problem has occurred, please press OK to reload", which just goes round and round in circles.
Is there a user agent string that will still work, or is that it, Skype is dead on XP?

The error message comes up after I've apparently successfully logged in, when I dismiss it the page refreshes and the error message just comes back.
I am still logged in as far as I can tell, I sometimes see a flash of my conversations page, and then it freezes and the error message comes back again.
Could you share the user agent string that is working for you?
I have the Custom UserAgent String add-on, so I can easily try it.
Thanks, Dave.
:)

I use identical Chrome 73 on Linux SSUAOs for three sites:

On 4/25/2019 at 2:24 PM, Mathwiz said:

general.useragent.override.live.com = Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Fedora; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36

general.useragent.override.skype.com = Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Fedora; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36

general.useragent.override.skypeassets.com = Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Fedora; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36

Edited by Mathwiz

"web.skype.com" logs in and works as expected in Serpent 52.9.0 using the following three "Chrome73 on Win10" SSUAOs: 

general.useragent.override.skype.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36
general.useragent.override.skypeassets.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36
general.useragent.override.live.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3163.100 Safari/537.36

y7eNBGE.jpg

In times of trouble:

1. Wait and re-try, if possible, at a later time; more often than not, I have found it to be some intermittent issue with their servers :angry:

2. Clear cache and skype related cookies, restart browser, wait a minute and re-try...

3. Clear any skype related folders in your browser's "<ProfileDir>\storage\default" directory, restart browser and re-try...

Hope I've helped ;)

Thanks guys, still no joy with either of those strings.
It is logging in, but then this pops up -

Image1.thumb.jpg.2790b115ed6e14000796cb9d911dcd45.jpg

If I press "OK" it then refreshes and says it's logging in again (although it doesn't ask for my user name or password) and then I sometimes very briefly see my Skype conversations page, which looks fine, but then it crashes out to the error message again, and so it goes round and round in circles.

I wondered if my Adblock Plus or Avast Browser Security extensions were causing it, but they didn't before, and disabling them makes no difference.

This is what I have in the Custom UserAgent String extension.

Image2.thumb.jpg.0988419fce073dfd02d094bb354870cc.jpg

Does that look right?
I tried with the other string too, exactly the same result.
I'm puzzled by this, as it did work, and I haven't knowingly changed anything that would have affected it.
I did try clearing all the Skype cookies before hoping that would cure it, but it didn't.
Thanks, Dave.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

On a hunch  I decided to check skype.com's TLS status at Qualys.com's server test site. This will take a few minutes.

I'm sure skype.com will get an A; what I'm interested in is the handshake simulations. Maybe they've "upgraded" security in a way that FF 52.9 doesn't support.

Edit: Well, it may have been a nice idea, but ... no banana. Simulation shows FF 49 on XP SP3 successfully connects to both skype.com and secure.skypeassets.com. So it doesn't seem to be a TLS issue. I guess that makes sense, because you can get to the logon screen, but it was worth a shot.

BTW, the SSUAO for skypeassets.com doesn't seem to be necessary after all. I just tried without it and was still able to log in.

Any chance you could test @roytam1's Serpent? If it works, we'll at least know it's something about the browser, not your PC or location.

Edited by Mathwiz