Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

NojusK

13 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Bizarrely Skype 7.36 is still working on my main machine under XP!
It's the only copy of Skype 7 I have which is still working.
I know it won't last, but I'm just surprised that is hasn't been blocked yet.
:dubbio:

Skype 7.36.0.1 and 7.36.0.150 are both not working at here

My version is 7.36.0.150, still working now!
The only anomaly (which has been there for a long time) is that the Skype home page doesn't display.
I either get "Skype Home unavailable" or an Outlook login page.
:)

Skype 7 is dead since April 02, 2019 (signing in to account using Skype 7 is impossible from this day, Skype 7 login servers are gone). But since the Skype session lasts 30 days there are still few Skype 7 working copies remain with account autologon enabled. They will work until the session expires. So (most likely) from May 02, 2019 and later, not a single working copy of Skype 7 will remain. :(

Edited by Bersaglio

Ah, thank you that explains it and that's good to know, so at least I can now anticipate when my copy of Skype 7 will stop working!
I'd better just make sure that I never log out!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

11 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

Skype 7 is dead since April 02, 2019 (signing in to account using Skype 7 is impossible from this day, Skype 7 login servers are gone). But since the Skype session lasts 30 days there are still few Skype 7 working copies remain with account autologon enabled. They will work until the session expires. So (most likely) from May 02, 2019 and later, not a single working copy of Skype 7 will remain. :(

Got it. It makes sense. So the session probably expired the other day for me, that's why I've been kicked out.

Microsoft ruined Skype the day they bought it. They pretty much ruin everything they touch. Just look at Windows Phone.

Windows and Office are the only Microsoft products I use. Everything else is third party/open source.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, ruthan said:

Someone found any work around? It seems that after that update Miranda / Pidgin are not working too, Web version give me -- that my browsers arent support.

I spoof my Chromium 54 as Chromium 75 and it works. Just change the string at startup, like so:

"chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3732.0 Safari/537.36"

Edited by FranceBB

"chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3732.0 Safari/537.36"

Skype Web works even though you admit you're on WinXP?

Earlier reports said you had to lie & say you were on Windows 10

Yeah can confirm something happened with skype for web, and it pretty much died yesterday or so'ish.

That "startup_load_error" even when the browser is spoofed to a "supportable" browser/OS like i used to do for ages now....

it also simultaneously happened that the latest working version of skype is stuck on the "connecting" icon, even if it feels like it is connected coz i receive msgs/see who is online on my contacts

Still hoping it's something temporary and will get fixed

Edited by Leifman

My Skype Desktop 7.36 is still working, but also doesn't now want to connect apparently.
It was fine yesterday morning, although it did take a while to connect.
When I tried it later in the day it wouldn't connect at all, and still won't now, although it does seem to be working!
I can read and post messages fine still, despite the permanently rotating "connecting" icon.
:yes:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

My Skype Desktop 7.36 is still working, but also doesn't now want to connect apparently.
It was fine yesterday morning, although it did take a while to connect.
When I tried it later in the day it wouldn't connect at all, and still won't now, although it does seem to be working!
I can read and post messages fine still, despite the permanently rotating "connecting" icon.
:yes:

Yep. exactly the same here (tho it did end up connecting for me eventually.. so i reckon if u keep it on it will at some point connect and stop the endless 'connecting' while still appearing fine and showing ur list and being able to message/receive messages)

but i really find the breaking on the web skype a bummer :( for some reason, spoofing the version of the browser/OS doesn't work for me BUT i found out that using firefox 50 and using this : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/skype-web-ff

then somehow the skype for web loads fine on Firefox 50. but that's the problem for me... i find skype for web HORRIBLE laggy and unusable on firefox 50 or i assume even more later versions...

and i can't run this app on 'mypal' (which is a palemoon, firefox 27 or 28 fork) which is where i always used my skype for web :(

Took a look inside; AIUI, the add-on is basically nothing more than a SSUAO:

(Edit: My apologies. Apparently it takes at least two SSUAOs! Sneaky devils)

general.useragent.override.skype.com = Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Fedora; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36

general.useragent.override.skypeassets.com = Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Fedora; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36

Try those on MyPal.

Edited by Mathwiz

3 hours ago, Leifman said:

Yep. exactly the same here (tho it did end up connecting for me eventually.. so i reckon if u keep it on it will at some point connect and stop the endless 'connecting' while still appearing fine and showing ur list and being able to message/receive messages)

but i really find the breaking on the web skype a bummer :( for some reason, spoofing the version of the browser/OS doesn't work for me BUT i found out that using firefox 50 and using this : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/skype-web-ff

then somehow the skype for web loads fine on Firefox 50. but that's the problem for me... i find skype for web HORRIBLE laggy and unusable on firefox 50 or i assume even more later versions...

and i can't run this app on 'mypal' (which is a palemoon, firefox 27 or 28 fork) which is where i always used my skype for web :(

Have you "lost" any of your contacts on Skype 7?
I noticed a week or so ago that one of my contacts had reverted to "Messaging disabled until request is accepted" and says that they haven't shared contact details with me.
This is nonsense as I've been exchanging messages with them for months, and they still appear as an active contact on my Android phone app, and on my copies of Skype 8!
Just today I've noticed that another of my contacts has dropped off Skype 7 in exactly the same way, so I'm wondering if they'll all now go one by one!
If I message them from another Skype version the new messages still appear in Skype 7, but I can't reply there any more.
:dubbio: