Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

NojusK

On 12/26/2018 at 2:52 PM, Dave-H said:

That's exactly what happened to me!
When the update fails, there should be a link on the failure notice to update it manually.
This will take you to the download page on the Skype site.
If you do the download and save the file, it should be "SkypeSetupFullXp.exe" and is version 7.36.0.150.
Run it and let it update, and Skype should work again, at least it did for me!
I would save the file somewhere in case you need it again, but as has been said, I'm afraid that all Skype 7 versions will stop working soon.
:(

Just a reminder I've saved both files here: the "unofficially supported" 7.38.0.101 and the "last officially supported" 7.36.0.150.

The Skype website link for the 7.36.0.150 is still active at this time. The 7.36.x is signed May 2017 while the 7.38.x is signed June 2017.

Skype 7.36 is now refusing to log me in on Windows XP.
Skype 7.41 is now showing the update nag on Windows 10, and there seems to be no way around it.
A reinstall and uninstall/reinstall makes no difference, I can't now get past the nag screen, and updating to version 8 seems to be the only option.
I would do that on Windows 10, but I hate the idea of not having my full chat history at my fingertips in the application any more!

Thanks, I've actually now got back in again myself on 7.36.
I had to do it by logging out and back in again, something I never normally do, and it then connected and now seems to be fine again.
No joy with 7.41 on Windows 10 though, I still can't get past the upgrade screen.
I suspect this would now also happen if you were running 7.38 on XP.
I'm wondering if they're now forcing anyone on Skype 7 versions after 7.36 to upgrade to Skype 8 if they want to carry on using it, but are still allowing XP systems to log in with 7.36 (only).
If that's the case I hope it stays like that, but I guess it's more likely just to be an oversight, and they will eventually block 7.36 as well.

EDIT: Now I've found that 7.36 still works fine on Windows 10 too!
It does pop up a warning about not being happy with the version, but it still carries on working and you can dismiss the warning.
I went on the Skype forum and there are several huge threads with people ranting about now being forced to "upgrade" to what they consider to be a far inferior version!
Someone there said that you can save a copy of the 7.41 folder, install 7.36 and then replace its folder with the 7.41 one, and it still works without the update nag, but I haven't actually tried that.
As long as 7.36 carries on working I'm happy with that.
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

EDIT: Now I've found that 7.36 still works fine on Windows 10 too!

I was about to suggest you try that!

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I went on the Skype forum and there are several huge threads with people ranting about now being forced to "upgrade" to what they consider to be a far inferior version!

It seems to be a variant of Murphy's Law: Every "upgrade" will include one or more actual downgrades.

I updated 7.36 to 7.41 on Windows 10 to see what would happen, and it worked, and is still working after a couple of days!
I'm fully expecting it to be blocked again soon with the update nag though, at which point I will try the folder substitution trick.
:)

• 2 months later...

I did go back to Skype 7.36 on Windows 10, and I've been using Skype 7.36 on XP, 8.1, and 10 for the last couple of months with no problems.
Just today I found it will no longer work on Windows 10, just giving an non-overridable upgrade window.
I guess that's probably it for Windows 7-10, it will no longer be possible to use versions before Skype 8.
Don't know about Vista. :dubbio:
7.36 is still working OK on Windows XP though, at least at the moment!
:yes:

My friend and I's copy of Skype 7.36 on Windows XP (x64) has ceased to function recently, saying I must upgrade. Weird. I guess I'll try reinstalling it later today and see if that helps.

Just tried to use Skype 7.36 on my dual boot netbook.
I got the same result on Windows 8.1 as I did on Windows 10 on my main machine, a non-overridable update window.
On the Windows XP side I got this -

20190412_161624.thumb.jpg.c816bf1cc3ca38854123b6ad9bcef49f.jpg

Strangely, Skype 7.36 still seems to be working under XP on my main machine, now the last place that it is working!
I can't explain that, and I suspect that it won't last for long!

Such a pain, I really don't like Skype 8, quite apart from the fact that it won't work on XP, as it doesn't keep your entire conversation history any more.
You can save what you've already got locally from Skype 7, but that's it.
They say Skype 8 only keeps the last year's worth of conversations, and only in the cloud, not locally, and as far as I can see after they're more than a year old the posts are irretrievably binned, and there's nothing you can do about it. Absolute rubbish!
:angry:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

German time 7.40PM, we were having a call in a group full of Windows XP lovers with Skype 7.36 on Windows XP and after 6 minutes and 22 seconds, Microsoft kicked us out from Skype and prompted us to the "OS Not Supported" screen, preventing us to log back in again.

6WoQUID.png

I think this is it for XP and Skype, guys, at least if you wanna run the client natively and have calls...

There's Skype Web, but you'll have to spoof your browser and it won't support calls anyway...

This is yet another sign of Microsoft sticking the knife in XP... :(

@Dibya, @someguy25.

Edited by FranceBB

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

This is yet another sign of Microsoft sticking the knife in XP... :(

Sticking it in and twisting it, as the saying goes.  Makes you wonder what's next, showing up at your house?

Bizarrely Skype 7.36 is still working on my main machine under XP!
It's the only copy of Skype 7 I have which is still working.
I know it won't last, but I'm just surprised that is hasn't been blocked yet.
:dubbio: