Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

NojusK

I just tried running Skype 7.38.0.101 and just got a message saying I wouldn't be allowed to log in any more unless I updated.
Uh oh, I thought, this looks like the beginning of the end for Skype on Windows XP.
I pressed the update button, and it appeared to download something quite large, which then said it had failed.
I tried again with the same result.
I then clicked on the "download manually" button and was taken to the Skype download page, which of course said I had to have at least Windows 7.
I pressed the download button anyway just to see what happened, and it downloaded a file called SkypeSetupFullXp.exe.
"Interesting" I thought, and ran it.
It "updated" Skype, which then to my great surprise worked again.
It turns out it's version 7.36.0.150, older than the one I had before!
I'm now wondering if I should update it to 7.38.0.101 again (I have the offline installation file) or just leave it and see if it carries on working!
:dubbio:

I'd bet on...

36 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

... just leave it and see if it carries on working!

You know... in case it ain't broken why try to fix it? But do save the installer for 7.36.0.150, 'cause one never knows when MS may stop offering it and it may, as well, be the last one that works OK on XP (even if just for some time... but any aditional time is better than none, right?). My 2¢ only, of course! :angel

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

It turns out it's version 7.36.0.150, older than the one I had before!
I'm now wondering if I should update it to 7.38.0.101 again (I have the offline installation file) or just leave it and see if it carries on working!
:dubbio:

Leave it as it is, but keep in mind that both 7.36 and 7.38 use an old version of the protocol which won't be supported as soon as M$ pulls the trigger. Probably, the only difference between 7.36 and 7.38 it's the annoying support message (I wouldn't be surprised). 

On 12/16/2018 at 6:52 AM, Dibya said:

Believe me man it will be sister of windows 10 only kernel will be linuxy

Not only I have no real reason to believe you , even if I wanted to, I fail to understand what you mean. :(

Anyway the cited article is obviously a widely speculative one, a so called "opinion piece", but the proposal/idea in itself does make some sense (which is the actual issue, given the propension of the good MS guys to only take senseless "shifts", it is improbable that they will choose this one) . 

jaclaz

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Not only I have no real reason to believe you , even if I wanted to, I fail to understand what you mean. :(

Anyway the cited article is obviously a widely speculative one, a so called "opinion piece", but the proposal/idea in itself does make some sense (which is the actual issue, given the propension of the good MS guys to only take senseless "shifts", it is improbable that they will choose this one) . 

jaclaz

Microsoft Azure os is Linux based.

I mean it will be crappy and buggy like windows 10

7.36.0.150 is still working this morning.
It turns out I already had the installer saved, as the "last official XP version", although 7.38.0.101 seems to be the last one which actually works on XP.
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Ammendment

2 hours ago, dencorso said:

You've always been a cryptic poet, Dibya! Rest assured of that. :yes:

Cryptic? Definitely.

Poet? <- that is the question, the debate is whether Vogon Poetry counts :dubbio:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Speaking of Skype, the new version (8.37.76.26) now requires at least Android 6.0, which means that M$ dropped support for me on both my desktop (running XP) and my mobile (running Android 5.1.1). What a Christmas present, Microsoft... -.-

23 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Speaking of Skype, the new version (8.37.76.26) now requires at least Android 6.0, which means that M$ dropped support for me on both my desktop (running XP) and my mobile (running Android 5.1.1). What a Christmas present, Microsoft... -.-

S**t!  I use Android 5.1 too :(

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

This type of tactic is gonna force people to upgrade all computer and devices just to fatten the pockets of the greedy giants. I'll go back to a flip phone before I keep flushing my hard-earned money down the drain. This generation needs to learn what boycott means.