Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

NojusK

Anyways Skype 7.38 is the last version to support Windows XP.And MS decided to "end" support for skype 7(a.k.a skype classic) on November 1st,2018 And they didnt but they will problaby soon:(.I use Skype almost always.I dont want to use the web version.So if it will be possible to use Skype 8 on XP that would be awesome!:D

Its possible, but the question you should be asking is, who is up for the task? These days people are using alternatives and (or) patching things themselves. WinXP is getting the same treatment us Win98 users got in the past. You'll either have to do it yourself or live without. I have chosen the latter, and it works for me as of the moment...

2 hours ago, someguy25 said:

Anyways Skype 7.38 is the last version to support Windows XP.And MS decided to "end" support for skype 7(a.k.a skype classic) on November 1st,2018 And they didnt but they will problaby soon:(.I use Skype almost always.I dont want to use the web version.So if it will be possible to use Skype 8 on XP that would be awesome!:D

You can use http://web.skype.com with Firefox or Chrome on Windows XP. It might not be the answer you wanted, but it works.

6 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

You can use http://web.skype.com with Firefox or Chrome on Windows XP. It might not be the answer you wanted, but it works.

Yep, I switched to the Web version long time ago, but it doesn't support calls on XP (I use my phone whenever I have to call someone).

For the records, I tried the new version of Skype web on Chromium 54 and it works on XP, even though the new UI has a few... uhm... "glitches" (but I can live with that) ;)

https://preview.web.skype.com/

@someguy25 The reason why there aren't alternative clients to Skype (or backported ones) is that Skype doesn't use the Skypekit anymore, as they removed the support to Skypekit in 2013/2014 (if I recall correctly). Killing the Skypekit meant that the only official working client would have been the official Skype app and programme, which basically meant more cash thanks to the ads for them. Unfortunately, this played against us, 'cause I tried to use the old Skypekit I had saved, but it refuses the connection. With a few mods I managed to get it working, but only for normal-chats, then Microsoft changed the protocol again and moved everything to the cloud (messages are now stored on MS servers on the cloud), therefore the old modded Skypekit didn't work at all. (I've been over this years ago in 2014 'cause I was using Trillian instead of the official Skype and Trillian was indeed based on the Skypekit).

In other words, you won't find a backported version of Skype easily anytime soon (definitely not by me).

Its possible, but the question you should be asking is, who is up for the task? 

If someone else wants to give a shot, I can only say "fill your boots" and "good luck".

Edited by FranceBB

14 hours ago, someguy25 said:

It now uses a biggest s*** in the Earth called electron

16 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Yep, I switched to the Web version long time ago, but it doesn't support calls on XP (I use my phone whenever I have to call someone).

<truncated>

I use my phone whenever I have to call someone, too!:buehehe:

I've only used Skype to instant message, especially now that AOL Instant Messenger is gone. But I don't use Skype that much at all. :no:

2 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

I use my phone whenever I have to call someone, too!:buehehe:

You have a phone? Luxury!

... why, in my day all we could do was to shout very loud to call someone!

... and we liked it!

... kids today ...

https://tinyapps.org/blog/misc/200702250700_why_in_my_day.html

:roll1:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

On 12/12/2018 at 8:14 PM, FranceBB said:

@someguy25 The reason why there aren't alternative clients to Skype (or backported ones) is that Skype doesn't use the Skypekit anymore, as they removed the support to Skypekit in 2013/2014 (if I recall correctly). Killing the Skypekit meant that the only official working client would have been the official Skype app and programme, which basically meant more cash thanks to the ads for them. Unfortunately, this played against us, 'cause I tried to use the old Skypekit I had saved, but it refuses the connection. With a few mods I managed to get it working, but only for normal-chats, then Microsoft changed the protocol again and moved everything to the cloud (messages are now stored on MS servers on the cloud), therefore the old modded Skypekit didn't work at all. (I've been over this years ago in 2014 'cause I was using Trillian instead of the official Skype and Trillian was indeed based on the Skypekit).

In other words, you won't find a backported version of Skype easily anytime soon (definitely not by me).

It's not surprising that Micro$oft used their purchase of Skype to "proprietize" it so that only they could release working Skype clients. As you say, that means more $ for them. And of course it's not surprising that after a major protocol change requiring updated clients, M$ isn't going to back-port the updated Skype client to OSes like XP they don't support any more. Just a little more pressure on us XP diehards to fork more $ over to them to upgrade to W10.

(I suspect they'll be waiting a while for that from most of us. I'll switch to W7, or even W8.1 and its dreaded Metro interface, if I have to - but the day I have to upgrade to W10 will be the day I move to Linux.)

I'm sure in a year or two, after W7 support ends, M$ will change the Skype protocol yet again and announce EOS for Skype 8 - and of course Skype 9 won't run on W7.... Similarly, Skype 10 will require W10 and won't run on W8.1, and all M$'s version numbers will finally be in sync....

18 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

It's not surprising that Micro$oft used their purchase of Skype to "proprietize" it so that only they could release working Skype clients. As you say, that means more $ for them. And of course it's not surprising that after a major protocol change requiring updated clients, M$ isn't going to back-port the updated Skype client to OSes like XP they don't support any more. Just a little more pressure on us XP diehards to fork more $ over to them to upgrade to W10.

(I suspect they'll be waiting a while for that from most of us. I'll switch to W7, or even W8.1 and its dreaded Metro interface, if I have to - but the day I have to upgrade to W10 will be the day I move to Linux.)

I'm sure in a year or two, after W7 support ends, M$ will change the Skype protocol yet again and announce EOS for Skype 8 - and of course Skype 9 won't run on W7.... Similarly, Skype 10 will require W10 and won't run on W8.1, and all M$'s version numbers will finally be in sync....

Skype 7 uses msn/wlm protocol "msnp24". Skype 8 started using the web version.And Microsoft is trying to make an end to the msnp protocol.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Linux isn't too much better. Some software will NOT run if you're not using the latest distro. Some software requires massive libs. Some software is 64bit only. For the most part you should get the basics out of it...

2 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

Linux isn't too much better. Some software will NOT run if you're not using the latest distro. Some software requires massive libs. Some software is 64bit only. For the most part you should get the basics out of it...

Exactly.

@someguy25

I've been using Linux for years and I can say that some things just don't work.

I'm using Fedora on my laptop 'cause it came with Windows 10 out of the box, I gave it a shot and I didn't like it. I've been using Arch Linux since 2005 as dual boot on my desktop, but when I purchased my new laptop in 2016 I had to install Fedora 'cause it needed the very latest kernel and drivers to work. Unfortunately, because Fedora receives constant updates and it's a sort of "preview/unofficial beta" of RHEL, things can break... and pretty badly. I had configuration files corrupted during the upgrade process due to a bug in dnf, I had programmes not running on Wayland, but running in xorg, I've been dealing with tearing due to a different refresh rate of the monitor and GPU, I had my computer failing to boot due to bbswitch waiting for the GPU to announce its state without ever getting a response, I had several issues with NVIDIA drivers including the official ones, negativo's modded ones, nouveau, implementations like bumblebee and optimus never really worked, and many many others issues.

I mean, Linux is great, it's open source and there are many different distributions, but you have to accept that things might not work and there's nothing you can do about it, other than spending time reporting it with the automatic bug reporter, attach the logs, and either wait for someone to care and fix it, or dig deep in the programme/component/dependency affected, try to fix it yourself and then eventually commit the change.

(And keep in mind that nowadays, Linux is much more user friendly than it used to be many years ago).

Edited by FranceBB

@ FranceBB, 

Some say the best things in life are free, I disagree. I see myself in the future becoming an Apple NUT, if Microsoft don't get it together. I do have until the death of Win 7. Hopefully by then Microsoft would've gotten the message. Nonetheless, Skype does allow me to communicate with my family when I'm away from home, which is a major PLUS+ for me.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Interesting article jaclaz, but I believe its a smoke screen. Why are some many vendors killing off support for older OS? We all know that Microsoft is here to make money. The Linux + Windows combination propaganda is for the blinded sheep. If Microsoft is not benefiting from it, I don't see involvement from them. Being optimistic, anything is possible...  Microsoft is about making billions of dollars, that's it, that's all !!! For Linux to be free and open source, their pockets are nowhere near MS and Apple. In other words, MS ain't going or giving anything away for free. These are facts. I see Apple capitalizing off Microsoft downfall, its surely happening now as we speak.