A world of problems.

Roffen

6 hours ago, Roffen said:

The only reason I have for using  XP is that it can run the MusicMatch jukebox program

... I am curious as to why it was not suggested in this thread already, but why was the solution of running WinXP (and MMJB on it) in a Virtual Machine (e.g. free VirtualBox) hosted in one of @Roffen's recent hardware+OS boxes not given a thought? Perhaps one of the savvy good-hearted people here could hand-guide him (e.g. via TeamViewer) to set up the VM with XP in it?

Also, it would be interesting to know the exact version of the audio software concerned; Wikipedia has a nice entry on Musicmatch Jukebox ; it's stated that

Old versions of MusicMatch 10 still work with Windows 8 up to 10. Version 9 had problems when it first started and it was replaced very quickly with version 10. With the original MusicMatch Jukebox version 10 you can rip, burn, and play music, although the demo version has a burn limit.

Version 10 builds can still be found in oldapps ; after that, the product was acquired by Yahoo! (versions 10.1+)...

4 hours ago, Roffen said:

BTW, I have both  ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 and an A88XM-PLUS mobo's that I am going to try tomorrow, if they will run XP, my problems will be over.

According to the ASUS website both of those motherboards support XP and have XP drivers available. Just google the motherboard model number and find your way to the support site for each model.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:48 PM, Roffen said:

The only reason I have for using  XP is that it can run the MusicMatch jukebox program. It may be possible to make it run under Windows 10, but I have not found out how to do it. I know there is a file, PX.dll that is required, and I have downoladed one, but I do not know where to put it.

I found this mention and download dealing with MusicMatch Jukebox. I don't know anything about the program but it lists Windows 10. Can anyone help verify that this might be of some help for Roffen?

https://softfamous.com/musicmatch-jukebox/

MusicMatch Jukebox

Free Download - 25.49 MB

Version: 10.00.4015

Runs on: Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / XP

If you’re looking for a tool that can not only organize and play back your favorite audio tracks, but also extract tracks from your own audio CDs, then MusicMatch Jukebox Plus is the software you need. This utility can easily record songs from your audio CDs – a process called “Ripping” – and to save them on your hard drive as high quality audio tracks. It can also write your music on audio CDs and download tracks from the Internet. The tool is quite versatile, to be honest!

This media player is perfect for organizing your audio tracks into a comprehensive library on hard drive. You can create playlists for various things – from work to the gym – and use them on your MusicMatch media player, 

Also, it comes with the Burner Plus tool that helps you write your tunes on audio and MP3 CDs at speeds of up to 48x. All you have to do to use the burner utility is drag the audio tracks from Windows Explorer or the music library. Also, this program can split the tracks among several discs.

MusicMatch Jukebox 10.00.4015 is licensed as freeware for Windows 32 bit and 64 bit operating system without restrictions. It is in multimedia players category and is available to all software users as a free download.

Edited by Monroe

• 1 month later...

I have wasted too much time and effort in attempts at creating a computer capable of running Windows XP. 

Does anyone here know if and where a complete machine alrady running XP, or guaranteed to run XP, may be obtained?

I experience more problems than acceptable on attempts at getting the desired result with the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard. I actually haven't  been able to make the motherboard run properly at all. I found it  impossible to use a wired mouse - making it impossible to get further into the process of creating a useful system. Anyone know how to obtain better and more useful results? I believe my age is contributing to my problems. Just putting all the wires to the motherboard in place - and the right place as well,  is much more difficult than before. I wish I just could buy a machine that would respond properly to installation of XP from a CD. The joy of partitoning or formatting of disks, without refusing to accept unformatted disks I have several used SSD's that are not accepted - I don't know why I don't have  any of the disk utility programs that I used to have.

9 hours ago, Roffen said:

I have wasted too much time and effort in attempts at creating a computer capable of running Windows XP. 

Does anyone here know if and where a complete machine alrady running XP, or guaranteed to run XP, may be obtained?

I experience more problems than acceptable on attempts at getting the desired result with the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard. I actually haven't  been able to make the motherboard run properly at all. I found it  impossible to use a wired mouse - making it impossible to get further into the process of creating a useful system. Anyone know how to obtain better and more useful results? I believe my age is contributing to my problems. Just putting all the wires to the motherboard in place - and the right place as well,  is much more difficult than before. I wish I just could buy a machine that would respond properly to installation of XP from a CD. The joy of partitoning or formatting of disks, without refusing to accept unformatted disks I have several used SSD's that are not accepted - I don't know why I don't have  any of the disk utility programs that I used to have.

You could just buy from ebay/craigslist type of site? I mean if building one isn't an option.

You would be horrified to learn how I have been struggling to build another XP machine. Tryng to install some  some of the good old utilities that I have been using for decades is a sad experience.One thing is for sure: I will not be using Windows 10. I've been considering Windows 7 but am reluctant about it.  Tomorrow I will take a peek at Ebay and see if I can find something I can use there. A Mac might perhaps be the ultimate solution;)

Are you familiar with HP models, and could perhaps suggest a model that ought to be a decent substitute for a homemade unit?

Fact is, I've spent a horrible amount of time and effort trying to piece together a 'new' XP machine and a HP looks promising as a substutute.

HP Z220 lots of different versions you can find on ebay.  Double check HP site that whatever version you chose has XP drivers downloadable.

Edited by Destro