A world of problems.

Roffen

18 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Of course the mottherboard may have been damaged by not following to the letter the procedures, but "big chance"? 

Come on ... :)

A friend of mine disconnected a PS2 mouse and immediately connected another one during running Windows, since then the PS2 mouse port is not working anymore, of course he is using an USB mouse now.

Also I fried a Geforce 210 just by disconnecting VGA cord, some time ago because PC was Suspended, not turn OFF and I didn't notice it.

Edited by alacran

5 minutes ago, alacran said:

A friend of mine disconnected a PS2 mouse and immediately connected another one during running Windows, since then the PS2 mouse port is not working anymore, of course he is using an USB mouse now.

No, I wasn't referring to the disconnection and reconnection of a PS/2 mouse (though normally modern motherboards have electronic fuses on PS/2 ports), and anyway that is  the single experience of your friend, single point anecdata.

I have a cousin (actually the husband of my cousin) that once disconnected a PS/2 keyboard and then reconnected another one with the PC on, and the new keyboard worked just fine, until eventuallt the motherboard caught fire because of a lightning  :w00t: :ph34r:(that one missed the postillion :) but got the PC :()

1:1

jaclaz

I have a new motherboard that I've never used, but I don't think I'll bother to try. What I would like to do is to get a 'new' machine of some sort that wil run XP and forget the miserable monday behind me. Do any of you know whether XP compatible machines are available on the market? I won't even mind if it runs an Intel processor;) as long as it runs XP. It would be a big relief if I could run XP on a factory made machine or something of similar quality. I dont care about cost. I am not rich but I can handle reasonable costs.

I have found a problem with another machine. It works up to a point, it boots ok an displays the XP screen. But all USB contacts are missing the 5. volts. I can verify that by plugging a wired mouse with an USB plug into a different computer. It will light a red light on the underside of the mouse. But on the the problem machine there is no light and presumably no 5 volts. I'll have to go to bed very soon before i fall asleep in the sofa.

3 hours ago, Roffen said:

The HP Elite Desk 800G1SFF is delivered with Windows 10 installed.

Would anyone be able to find out if it will run Windows XP?

image.thumb.png.b80532550e5fbe9bb6d090124bca0f73.png

Crap...It doesnt have drivers for XP :( maybe @Dibya can make them XP compatable:)

Edited by someguy25

6 hours ago, Roffen said:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03832938
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor (SFF) PC Specifications
Chipset Intel Q87 Express

Windows XP is not supported by the manufactuer.
XP should run at a  Q87 in general, however it's a search for the drivers.
SATA, chipset and network should be possible.
Which graphic card is installed?
No USB 3.0 drivers, change BIOS to USB 2.0 mode.

All right, I will change BIOS to USB 2,0 mode.

Before I was able to complete the sentence above, I was bothered by the word emoj within my own text, but I got rid of it at last.

I have got one of my machines running now, but everything is not perfect. I got MusicMatch running, but playback is erratic. The count of seconds shown during playback stops at intervals. I am a little sceptical of the prospect of reinstalling MMJB - Maybe it will get worse

BTW the graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 710 - the least expensive I could find.

That will be all for today.

Edited by Roffen
missing h.

19 hours ago, someguy25 said:

image.thumb.png.b80532550e5fbe9bb6d090124bca0f73.png

Crap...It doesnt have drivers for XP :( maybe @Dibya can make them XP compatable:)

Which version of XP are you needing the drivers for?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to see if I can hunt down the specific drivers.

Edited by XP-x64-Lover

7 hours ago, XP-x64-Lover said:

Which version of XP are you needing the drivers for?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to see if I can hunt down the specific drivers.

i don't really know. @Roffen might tell you since he asked

On 12/18/2018 at 12:01 PM, Roffen said:

On 12/12/2018 at 5:15 PM, Roffen said:

If I find one, I will try to make it run XP, but on a  a different drive so I don 't spoil the drive I used before that ought still to be in good working order.

23 hours ago, Roffen said:

BTW the graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 710 - the least expensive I could find.

Nvidia offers XP drivers still.

Overall it's a hit or miss. May work or fail finally.
XP should run at the EliteDesk 800 G1.
However expect a driver hunting, may take some time.
And exppect minor glitches, e.g. already mentioned missing USB3.0

Good luck

We regret that we do not have components available that might have been compatible with Windows XP

This operating system unfortunately demand that you have a  somewhat "older" generation  components, something we do not have.

Our components from our catalogue are mainly compatible with Windows 10 but can run operating systems as far down as Windows 7 - that also no longer is recommended in wiev of the security that Windows 7 cannot deliver.

Translated from Norwegian text below:

Vi har dessverre ikke komponenter i sortimentet vårt som kunne ha vært kompatible med Windows XP.
Dette operativsystemet krever dessverre at du har litt "eldre" generasjon komponenter, noe vi ikke har av.

Våre komponenter ifra sortimentet vårt er hovedsakelig kompatible med Windows 10 men kan kjøres operativsystemer
så langt ned som til Windows 7 - som heller ikke er anbefalt lenger med tanke på sikkerheten som Windows 7 
ikke klarer å levere. 

---------------------

Well well, that was that.

I don't have to use the M5A99FX PRO R2.0 mobo,

I have two older ones, M5A78L-M USB3,  and  A88XM-PLUS that both have been running XP here.

There is one problem though, both the boards are missing the two plastic bars that serve as the support for the CPU.

I still have the metal plates with four holes.

I bought a couple of secondhand M5A99FX boards from USA a while ago. I  wasn't aware of the missing items before I found it a little too late to complain.

If you should happen to have one to spare, I would be happy to buy it from you The reason I want those items is that I remobed them to use on the two M5A99FX's.

The only reason I have for using  XP is that it can run the MusicMatch jukebox program. It may be possible to make it run under Windows 10, but I have not found out how to do it. I know there is a file, PX.dll that is required, and I have downoladed one, but I do not know where to put it.

Is it allright if I stay with this thread for my problem(s)?

I have two ASU M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboards that I am having trouble with.

One doesn't activate any of the USB ports, making it impossible to do anything on the machine.

I am not certain about the other but I will check that tomorrow.

If Icould run XP on that machine, Christmas would be saved for me. I am used to music all day long from the pc and I miss it very much.

Living alone like I do, the music meant a lot to me.  I have MusicMonkey but I find it useless as a substitute for MMJB.

BTW, I have both  ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 and an A88XM-PLUS mobo's that I am going to try tomorrow, if they will run XP, my problems will be over.

Edited by Roffen