A world of problems.

Roffen

I have been working hard for a few days to fix a small problem that has become permanent here. It all started when I decided to move a hard drive from outside the cabinet to thre inside of my Windows Xp machine. I dont know what went wrong, but it has refused to  run again since that. The machine is equipped with an ASUS M5A97 motherboard and a Nvidia Geforce 710 video card. It won't boot from the hard drive where it used to work, and it won't boot from a Windows XP original CD. won't boot from the ASUS support disk for the motherboard, or any other CD either. I consider getting hold of a secondhand machine running Windows 7 or any other Windows version between Windows  2000 thru Windows 8 and 10. If I find one, I will try to make it run XP, but on a  a different drive so I don 't spoil the drive I used before that ought still to be in good working order.

BUT,

I have a Lenovo Windows 10 machine that I bought new.

Type 90GA003LMW R304CF20

P.family idea centre 310S-08lAP

SSD 128G

RAM 4G

OS Windows10 Home

Would it be possible to make it run WinXP?

Are you sure that you connected the drive correctly to the motherboard (have a look at the motherboard's user guide about where the pins of the disk must be for primary/secondary master/slave configuration).

P.family idea centre 310S-08lAP

Is this the processor of the laptop? If yes then it's strange. Doesn't it have an Intel or AMD identifier?

4 hours ago, Roffen said:

I have been working hard for a few days to fix a small problem that has become permanent here. It all started when I decided to move a hard drive from outside the cabinet to thre inside of my Windows Xp machine. I dont know what went wrong, but it has refused to  run again since that. The machine is equipped with an ASUS M5A97 motherboard and a Nvidia Geforce 710 video card. It won't boot from the hard drive where it used to work, and it won't boot from a Windows XP original CD. won't boot from the ASUS support disk for the motherboard, or any other CD either

It sound like a loose cable, or maybe your boot order got messed up. I have your exact motherboard, it has a "boot override" feature in the BIOS where you should be able to identify your HDD and force the PC to boot from it

On 12/12/2018 at 9:14 PM, HarryTri said:

Are you sure that you connected the drive correctly to the motherboard (have a look at the motherboard's user guide about where the pins of the disk must be for primary/secondary master/slave configuration).

Is this the processor of the laptop? If yes then it's strange. Doesn't it have an Intel or AMD identifier?

No, that is the processor of my stationary Windows 10 machine, not a portable. All the data mentioned are from that machine.

I am unable to get into the BIOS utility on the machine I'm having trouble with.

And the troublemaker has been working without a hitch over more years that I can remember. And suddenly, with the only intervention I did was to move the disk from outside to inside the cabinet, the problems started.

Edited by Roffen

2 hours ago, Roffen said:

I don't know why I suddenly get italics and don't know how to get rid of them.

... Perhaps you inadvertently selected (Ctrl+I) the Italics font in the post's editor? (bolded capital I, next to bolded capital B, top left in the editor's "ribbon"?

8H1NpCQ.jpg

5 hours ago, Roffen said:

I am unable to get into the BIOS utility on the machine I'm having trouble with.

The delete key should get you into the BIOS. then when you get there, you may have to set the BIOS mode to "advanced" then you should see a boot tab. scroll down, and you'll see the boot override

Edited by i430VX

I can use the DEL or F2 keys as much as i like but nothing happens.  I have been working hard to make the machine work properly but nothing that I do makes any difference. That means I am not able to enter the BIOS utility program. The video card doesn't send anything to the display. Maybe the problem is in the BOIOS utility itself?

I am beaten and can't find any way out of the problem. The machine will not boot from any CD

The machine had been working for a very long time before I tried to move the hard drive from the outside to the inside of the cabinet, and nothing I've done since then has been of any use.

I don't have much hope but I will see if I can find an XP or WIN7 machine for sale.

Edited by Roffen
typo fixed.

@Roffen , per chance, you say you can't get any activity on your machine when you try to boot.......there is always the possibility that the problem is due to your power supply.   Either it has reached the end of it's life at the same time you made these changes, it is overwhelmed and unable to provide the necessary power, or something was not connected properly.   If it were me, I would return everything you did making this change, back to the original way the machine was configured and see what happens.   If still no response from your machine, I would suspect possibly incorrect handling of the hardware that caused an electronic charge, damaging something, or the power supply would be the next thing I would focus on.   Hopefully you have a spare power supply with adequate wattage to test?  I'm far from a computer expert, but I've built my own machines several times and have maintained them since the days of Windows 95 and have average experience in dealing with these troublesome matters........good luck and best wishes for a successful outcome!!

Edited by Dclem

Is it possible that I have a hardware problem? I expect the XP machine to open the BIOS utility when I press the DEL-key before it boots, but it doesn't respond now.

The motherboard is quite new and unused and I expect that should eliminate the risk of having hardware problems right frrom the start?

This morning started out so nice, An XP machine that I hadn't been  using for a while was working nicely. I could run the MusicMatch program and I was looking forward to a day of the music that I had been missing for so long. I dont know what I may have done wrong,, but I lost the 5 volts on all the USB contacts. I don't know how to get it back either.

The power button had been a little troublesome but after I was finished with it, it didn't work at all. I solved that with a couple of wires, and I am going to see if I can find a doorbell button or something to replace it. In the meantime I have to do with bringing two wires into contact with eachother.  I blame it all on my age, I'll be 89 in a few month's time. I experience a sluggish brain. None of the pills I take seem to know what they are supposed to do. I won't open a computer cabinet again if I don't have to.

Edited by Roffen
typographic errors to be fixed.

Every time you open the machine box, you need to first unplug AC power cord on desktops and laptops, and additionally extract the battery on laptops, before connecting or disconnecting anything on your machine, to avoid any possibility of damage to the motherboard.   Latter once you did all required inside your machine box, connect all external PS2 (like mouse and keyboard) LPT printers, serial connectors, soud cord if any, etc., and finally you can plug again (first battery if laptop) AC power cord.   Only devices that can be hot plugged without risk to your machine are USB devices.

So if you didn't follow this procedure it is a big chance you damaged your MB.

NOTE: I have seen some MB Bios where you can select the option to hot plug/unplug SATA devices, but this is allways disabled by default, and many other MBs don't have this option anywhere.  So to be on the safe side never hot plug/unplug SATA devices unless this is done through an eSATA external port.

Edited by alacran

15 minutes ago, alacran said:

Every time you open the machine box, you need to first unplug AC power cord on desktops and laptops, and additionally extract the battery on laptops, before connecting or disconnecting anything on your machine, to avoid any possibility of damage to the motherboard. 

Well, you have also to wait several minutes for the capacitors to self-discharge AND ground yourself (with a anti-static wrist band or similar) before touching anything inside the case, if you are going along the "theory of operations".

15 minutes ago, alacran said:

So if you didn't follow this procedure it is a big chance you damaged your MB.    

The only description for this sentence is "electro-technical terrorism" :w00t::ph34r:.

Of course the motherboard may have been damaged by not following to the letter the procedures, but "big chance"? 

Come on ... :)

jaclaz 

Edited by jaclaz