Different WMP versions?

Tamris

So I've recently installed Vista Home Premium on a VM (for testing purposes) and after fully updating it till April 2017 updates, I noticed that WMP version number in it is still lower than version of WMP I have installed on my actual Vista?

VM:

wmp1.PNG.c47a1408d513aef622627f1dc389bec8.PNG

Actual Vista:

wmp2.png.f45693ef1707c4f7df4594070aede054.png

The only difference between the two is that my actual Vista is fully updated with all post EOL Server 2008 updates (except the Spectre/Meltdown ones), while the other is only updated till April 2017 (also, I'm running Vista Home Premium in the VM while using Home Basic version on my laptop), could it be that one of em bumped the version of WMP? I'm really confused.

Edited by Tamris

I've got two Vista Ultimate installations, both updated with Server 2008 SP2 patches, and both show the 11.0.6002.24483 version number you have.    Looking at some other files in the WMP folder, things with 11.0.6000.xxxxx numbers date back to 2006, when Vista first appeared.  Things numbered 11.0.6001.xxxx go back to 2008.  The setup_wm.exe file I'm looking at is numbered 11.0.6002.18111 and dates to 2009.  For comparison, Win 7's WMP has some file version numbers starting with 6.1 (and some with 12.0.)   So my suspicion is that the 600N thing was Microsoft's pointer to "Windows Vista Service Pack N" 

So your later WMP file number (and mine) came from one of those Server 2008 updates.   Well. that was the whole point of patching in the Server 2008 stuff -- to get the updates.  So now you've shown it works.

10 hours ago, mike_shupp said:

So my suspicion is that the 600N thing was Microsoft's pointer to "Windows Vista Service Pack N"

Yes, you are right about that one, Vista SP1's more exact version is 6.0.6001, while SP2 is 6.0.6002. Also, thank you for checking. :)

Edited by Tamris

On 12/9/2018 at 6:54 PM, Tamris said:

The only difference between the two is that my actual Vista is fully updated with all post EOL Server 2008 updates (except the Spectre/Meltdown ones), while the other is only updated till April 2017

There's the main difference. Every Windows version since 2000 (I think) has 2 main branches of updates: GDR and LDR. If you install an update normally, you default into the GDR branch, meant for general security and feature updates. If you install certain hotfixes, you're bumped into the LDR branch. This is best noted in file versions. If you're on the GDR branch, the updated files will have 6.1.6002.1xxxx version while if you're on the LDR branch the updated files will have 6.1.6002.2xxxx version.

In this case, ever since the release of Windows 8.1 MS decided to kill this update approach, and as such, all updates released since around 2016 only come in the LDR flavor. Since you have the post EOL updates installed on your Vista machine, one of those updated Windows Media Player into the LDR version.

If you want more info, MS made a few blog posts explaining in greater detail what I've just said: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mrsnrub/2009/05/14/gdr-qfe-ldr-wth/