Microsoft Edge coming to Windows 7 and 8.1

Xack

Microsoft has announced on their blog that they are making a Chromium based version of Edge and that it's coming to older versions of Windows. How will this affect Windows 7 usage by having a newer browser being supported in its twilight years. And what will become of the EdgeHTML version of Edge and Internet Explorer?

10 minutes ago, Xack said:

How will this affect Windows 7 usage

It'll be utterly irrelevant.

what will become of the EdgeHTML version of Edge...

It already is utterly irrelevant.

and Internet Explorer

It'll remain there, since it's unremovable, but will be used less and less.

Well as I think people using Win7 now do not like anything related to 10, and since on 7 you can avoid especific updates, I don't think many Win7 users will download a Windows remake of Chrome when they can download real Chrome if they want, or Opera, or FireFox (as I prefer). So this is going to be just another fiasco.

But this seems to me more like accepting actual Edge is another failure, and they are desperately looking for new ideas for the browser (copying others and not developing anything new).

Edited by alacran
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm much more open to trying out Edge than I am switching to Windows 10. At work we use Windows 7 and because of our outdated web platform, we're FORCED to use IE11 and I hate it. I'd much rather use Firefox myself but compatibility issues prevent this from happening. I've given Windows 10 a few chances and I will not use it on any of my machines and when "doomsday" arrives, I'll just continue using my Windows 2000 and if need be, I'll switch over to Linux as a secondary operating system. I'm still trying to learn it but it's still a big curve for a power user like me. If I'm forced to use Windows 10 at work, then obviously I have no choice, but it has no place in my home.

But more on the topic note, I am more open to trying out Edge a bit more. Chromium isn't a bad platform in my opinion although again, I'd rather use Firefox except I'm not that fond of the Quantum platform (isn't Quantum another one of those overused words, like Spectrum?)

So on this I'm keeping an open mind, not saying I'd ever switch over to it but I'll at least give Edge a test run.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:56 AM, Tommy said:

isn't Quantum another one of those overused words, like Spectrum?

Yes it is. When I hear Quantum I think of a line of Duracell batteries. But Wikipedia lists:

Businesses and products

• Quantum Corporation, a manufacturer of computer data storage products
  • Quantum Sports Cars, a British-built low-volume car manufacturer
  • Volkswagen Quantum
  • Quantum, a line of Maksutov telescopes that were manufactured by Optical Techniques Incorporated (OTI)
  • Quantum, line of small engines made by Briggs and Stratton
  • Quantum-class cruise ship
  • MS Quantum of the Seas

Computing

• QUANTUM, a suite of attack software by the US National Security Agency (NSA)
  • Quantum compression, a file compression format
  • QGIS, an open source GIS program for map-drawing and related functions, formerly called Quantum GIS
  • A time slice in computer pre-emptive multitasking
  • Quantum computing, the study of hypothetical computers based on quantum-mechanical principles
  • Quantum (statistical programming language), a programming language for statistical analysis developed by Quantime
  • Quantum Corporation, a manufacturer of Hard Disk products from 1980 to 2001
  • Quantum project of Mozilla to improve its Firefox web browser engine

I see they mentioned Firefox but not Duracell. At any rate, only one of the above uses, quantum computing, has anything to do with the scientific meaning of the word.

Don't even get me started on Spectrum....

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Don't even get me started on Spectrum....

Oh I know, right! In fact I was saying that myself, Spectrum is way overused in a lot of things and the real question is, why? What is so special about the word Spectrum?

... and remember that in the good ol'times the successor to the Sinclair ZX Spectrum was the QL, i.e. Quantum Leap, and it was actually for the time an incredibly good computer ...

jaclaz 

1 hour ago, broken120x120 said:

What is Microsoft's reasoning for this?

Well, Bill told me it's all part of his master plan. By the way, he's coming back.  He, like all of us, has finally had enough of the current administration's ridiculousness.

He told me all of this in the strictest confidence, (he was a little drunk at the time), but I can trust you guys, right?

Cheers and Regards