Microsoft Edge coming to Windows 7 and 8.1

Xack

Why waste energy wondering why Microsoft would do this.....BECAUSE they are MICROSOFT and the "user" is too insignificant for them to give a crap about....MICROSOFT is about being MICROSOFT and us mere mortals just have to deal with it....:whistle:

bookie32

Hmmm. 

Let me see. :dubbio:

Under Windows everyone uses Chrome or Chorome/Chromium engine based browser. (exception made for those insisting on using Mozilla Firefox, all in all a small amount of people [1]).

Noone uses Edge.

Whatever undocumented features of Edge (if any ;)) *somehow* facilitating MS operations is lost.

The whole plan on world domination and stuff through the Windows 10 pushing  is likely failing (besides the total defeat on phones) because even those that for one reason or the other are using Windows 10 ar not using Edge and nowadays a large part of the time spent on a computer is through its browser.

Idea :w00t:, let's make a new browser similar to or nearly identical to Chrome (possibly while keeping the same *whatever* undocumented features we like to have).

Wait, this would mean actually writing lots of code, why not using the actual same engine as Chrome?

jaclaz

[1] and with the exception of a few old dinosaurs like yours truly that still use good ol' browsers (with some limitations).

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 12:13 PM, bookie32 said:

is Internet Explorer worse than Edge

IE11 lacks support for certain newer web standards. Edge used to be quite unstable in the past, it's better these days, still has occasional stability issues, I mostly encounter them on my low-end laptop though.

One thing about IE11 and Edge in its current form...they're the only browsers that don't choke on playing 1080p@60 FPS videos on my laptop. I did make sure hardware accelerated decoding was utilized, but regardless, such videos aren't watchable in neither Firefox Quantum, Basilisk, Pale Moon or Chromium.

I guess it depends on what you expect from the web browser. For the out-of-the-box customizability, there's Vivaldi, for plugins other than Flash, there are IE11 and Firefox forks like Basilisk, etc.

Some noticeable basic things missing in Edge:

• Ability to mid-click the site entry in right-click menu of the forward/back buttons to open selected site in new tab
  • More options in the right-click context menus
  • Where are favicons? (Looks like it's just a common trait shared with IE, they don't appear in InPrivate mode unless they were cached from previous browsing sessions in normal mode.)
Edited by UCyborg
Added remark regarding favicons

23 hours ago, bookie32 said:

So tll me....is Internet Explorer worse than Edge...I personally have not wasted time on Edge....so would like an opinion....

bookie32

internet explorer is pretty good for really low-end computers as it takes less resources than chrome/ff

• 1 month later...

Another difference between IE and Edge, some newish extensions like uBlock Origin and Enhancer for YouTube can be found only for Edge. What's boggling from my POV, there's no port of extension that would integrate with KeePass. There were plans to port Kee from Firefox (the XUL version is called KeeFox), but hasn't been done due to some limitations in Edge.

One thing Edge has really done right is scrolling. It feels the smoothest, particularly with the touchpad. Firefox Quantum comes close second in that department. Again, that's my subjective experience on low-end laptop. Finally, it seems Edge is the most famous when it comes to energy efficiency.

Now one has to wonder if things done right under the hood are inherent in the Chromium version of Edge. I suspect it's possible with some effort.

Navigating YouTube for instance oughtta be smoother with Chromium under the hood. Google knows this and intentionally serves the new version of the page, which EdgeHTML variant of Edge handles exceptionally poor, particularly evident on weaker devices. Yes, I said videos play OK (once they load), but everything else on the page is pretty bad on slower devices unless you spoof IE11's user agent.

For those few of us that use a Windows RT Surface tablet, it would be actually nice to have Edge released on Windows RT 8.1.  I really wish it was part of the rollout.  It would make Windows RT immensely more useful.  As it goes, it's a decent tablet for basic needs.

So where is this Edge for Win-7?  Have they released it yet?  I have zero familiarity with Edge.  Are there add-ons for it?  Site, content blocking?  I have some FF addons - like right-click "remove this object" that I don't know if they exist on newer versions of FF.  And I need to have a browser with Java, and a browser that is compatible with various IP webcams and security cameras.  I think there are some browsers where you can't enter an alternate port-number on the end of a URL, and I need to be able to do that.  And an easy way to view source.  Being based on chromium, does that mean it has all sorts of hooks back to google?  I will not touch chrome for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

The final version will also exist in x86 flavor at least...right?

Edit: I guess it will as long as they still ship x86 Windows 10 images.

Edited by UCyborg

I've yet to hear anything good about 'Edge' ; Maybe that is the reason they want to 'infect' W7 with it to get users to upgrade, or maybe I should say downgrade back to XP. :buehehe:

Edited by videobruce