H.265 playback on win-98 with vlc or mplayerc?

Nomen

I think starting with VLC version 3 you can play HEVC H.265 files.  Don't know about Mediaplayer Classic.  In any case, can Win-98 play these files, using any method or program?

Even though I installed the latest VLC yesterday on a i7 Dell Latitude (win-7 32 bit) with nvidia accerator, it won't play one of those files - it just shows the first frame as a still image.  The file is only 5 mb - it's a 25 second clip from a 4k IP camera.

9x allow use only one cpu for all - system and programs. When i try soft play some 100 mbits/sec 4k file, i see 70% busy all 8 cpu my 4ghz 3770 - 4 physical + ht. So i think, one core even newest 9900 at 5 ghz not allow u play 4k. also 9x not allow ur player use avx/avx2, but all sse/2/3/4 - can. 

VLC3 should play H265 perhaps convert a file for a trial to a smaller resolution.

VLC3 will play on winME, use msvcr80.dll from framework 2.0.31113 as msvcrt.dll substitute supplied with Longhorn 4074. It has not got _ctype import but neither did msvcr70 . Need KernelEx 4.5.2 (final) and CheckRemoteDebuggerPresent function in the GUI libqt_plugin needs to import IsDebuggerPresent. Not all plugins are working though, unlike VLC2.05. Icecast does not work and manual file open of DVD ifo required but H265 plays.

Using KernelEx 2015v8 then the Lav filters can work. The KMplayer 4.0.4.6 works need KernelEx (winXP setting) 2015v12 or greater for GetSystemTimes redirected to GetSystemTime. There will be other programs, I am still to find out. Kernelex2016 prevents VLC3 from operating until KEX22.<EDIT

msvcr80.dll ver 8.0.31113.25 will get some programs running eg Miro video converter v3 with 2k KernelEx settings.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Strikethrough

I'm surprised how easy it is for me to run VLC 3. Only the Kext entry "[Kernel32.dll] CheckRemoteDebuggerPresent= " is required. Thanks for the hint. System: ME, KernelEX 4.5.2 and Kext. VLC 3.0.4 runs also up to KernelEX update 8. Using update 12 and higher VLC fails to start and gives a runtime error. As far as I can remember the updates 9 to 11 made problems for me, so I didn't testet them.

KernelEX 4.5.2 is what I mean. I thought that kernelEX 4.5.1 was 11 and 4.5.2 was 12. I will edit my post. I have swapped some system files and added some. I had planned to post about it. For instance Crypt32.dll from whistler 5.1.2296.1 is helpful, it has all original functions plus some more. Ordinals 1003 to 1011 are forwarders to Advapi32. They are Reg Key functions of which Advapi32 has all except RegOpenKeyW. These functions would not usually be calling Crypt32. Main upgrade is the msvcrt though. When using VLC3, do not change skins, only use native style. Some custom skins have trouble, not only with win9x, when they were supposed to be compatible.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
removed link to copyrighted material & upgraded some terminology wording

3 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

KernelEX 4.5.2 is what I mean. I thought that kernelEX 4.5.1 was 11 and 4.5.2 was 12. I will edit my post. Where are the other KernelEX versions along the way to the current one - 2016.  I have changed a lot of files and plan to post about it for instance [LINK TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL REMOVED] will get some of these. Crypt32.dll from whistler 5.1.2296.1. is helpful last 4 functions are linkers to advapi32 and can not be used but has all original functions plus some more, main upgrade is the msvcrt though.

Links to sites containing "warez" or or other illegally distributed material are expressly forbidden here. The age or "supported" status of the software in question has no bearing on this.

@Nomen; I slightly misread your question (tired). Sounds like the file is damaged have you lost it on your camera? The question is, is 5MB correct for a 25s clip?  If it is, it does not mean that the file is all there. A partial downloaded file will play if it is streamable. I must have partially copied, years ago, an 8GB video from one drive to another that only played first 10%, the copied file size was 8GB. I wonder if this happened because NTFS preallocated the file size?

Edited by Goodmaneuver

VLC 3.0.4 says (in the codec tab) the video resolution is 2304 x 1296, buffer dimensions 2304 x 1312, Planar 4:2:0 YUV, Mpeg-H Part2/HEVC (H.265).   The file is 5 mb (5.156 mb) and 25 seconds.  The video is black and white (was taken at night in IR mode).  VLC will "play" the video (time cursor will move along the bottom) but only the first frame will show on the screen.  This is on Latitude e6420 laptop (core i7) windows 7 (32-bit).  This same video file will play fine on a dumb win-7 (64-bit) desktop PC with some socket-775 CPU and onboard graphics (intel I think) with same version of VLC.  I was just wondering if it would play on a win-98 system because I think it needs VLC 3 minimum.

I use "media info" Win9x version of the exe is of 7/2009 but you can run with a later Mediainfo.dll, I use 0.7.78 (2015). The frame rate is important of course and HD could be down near 20 hertz. Photoworxx bench on my ME system, core2duo 3.3Ghz E8600 was over 9000 which is real good. At the moment one of my boards just had problems and I have gone back to P4 2.8Ghz single core which has got CPU Queen bench of 2700. I know I can play HD on the core2duo and AMD 2.4Ghz dual core but not sure about your frame size whether they would, nearly have scores double the 2.8 single core. I will have to rig up again. CPU limiting on VLC audio will be in sync but if CPU limited on KMplayer the video will lag behind the audio but not always the case.

Some hardware will run / boot faster with 32bit and depends on OS compared to 64bit.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
not quite right