mIRC 7.53 fails to run on Windows XP

NojusK

On their website, they state that XP is supported, but when I downloaded it and tried to run it, I got the same message you got:

5IABtW5.png

Let's see who is to blame... Uhm...

ADVAPI32.DLL which calls RegGetValueW.

A function that retrieves the type and data for the specified registry value.

LSTATUS RegGetValueW( HKEY hkey, LPCWSTR lpSubKey, LPCWSTR lpValue, DWORD dwFlags, LPDWORD pdwType, PVOID pvData, LPDWORD pcbData );

"hkey" is used to open registry keys, "lpSubKey" is the name of the registry key, "lpValue" is the name of the registry value, "dwFlags" is a flag to define the data type of the value (REG_DWORD, REG_BINARY, REG_QWORD ecc), "pdwType" is pointer to a variable that receives a code indicating the type of data stored in the specified value, "pvDat" is a pointer to a buffer that receives the value's data, "pcbData" is a pointer to a variable that specifies the size of the buffer pointed to by "pvData".

According to MS documentation, the function is available on Windows Vista.

And "abracadabra": 

Y0ZqkPx.png

mIRC 7.53 Windows XP: Link

Cheers.

18 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

On their website, they state that XP is supported, but when I downloaded it and tried to run it, I got the same message you got:

5IABtW5.png

LSTATUS RegGetValueW( HKEY hkey, LPCWSTR lpSubKey, LPCWSTR lpValue, DWORD dwFlags, LPDWORD pdwType, PVOID pvData, LPDWORD pcbData );

"hkey" is used to open registry keys, "lpSubKey" is the name of the registry key, "lpValue" is the name of the registry value, "dwFlags" is a flag to define the data type of the value (REG_DWORD, REG_BINARY, REG_QWORD ecc), "pdwType" is pointer to a variable that receives a code indicating the type of data stored in the specified value, "pvDat" is a pointer to a buffer that receives the value's data, "pcbData" is a pointer to a variable that specifies the size of the buffer pointed to by "pvData".

And "abracadabra": 

Y0ZqkPx.png

Cheers.

MSFN-where people go to see the magic

@FranceBB thank you.You made magic again

:worship:

Edited by someguy25

On 12/5/2018 at 10:20 PM, FranceBB said:

5IABtW5.png

And "abracadabra": 

Y0ZqkPx.png

Cheers.

Just installed and again the same problem like it was with audacity at first.Master @FranceBB we need to fix this issue!

image.png

Edited by someguy25

56 minutes ago, Tamris said:

It's because it probably expects Dibya's ExtendedXP to be installed now.

If it was still developed and would support wmp9 i would try it :P

8 hours ago, Tamris said:

It's because it probably expects Dibya's ExtendedXP to be installed now.

Not necessarily. The app calls a fake kernel32 which redirects the call to kernelxp which is included in the package.

Just installed and again the same problem like it was with audacity at first.Master @FranceBB we need to fix this issue!

Weird, 'cause it's there: 

CgKayrl.png

I tested it on a clean system too and it works.

@Dibya can you test the install (just to confirm that it's working)?

Edited by FranceBB

15 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Not necessarily. The app calls a fake kernel32 which redirects the call to kernelxp which is included in the package.

Weird, 'cause it's there: 

CgKayrl.png

I tested it on a clean system too and it works.

@Dibya can you test the install (just to confirm that it's working)?

Fixed the problem the shortcut that i made on my desktop was the problem.Running mIRC from "Program files" will work :) 

image.png

Edited by someguy25

3 hours ago, someguy25 said:

Fixed the problem the shortcut that i made on my desktop was the problem.Running mIRC from "Program files" will work :) 

That means your shortcut had not the "Start in:" directory pointed to the same directory inside which "Target:" is.