Web version of discord doesn´t work

Jaguarek62

Hi,

i´m having huge troubles getting web version of discord to work.

it just says that i´m using not supported browser,no matter what browser i use.

i need discord to function. Huge thanks for anyone who can help me.

discord rip.JPG

Hi, i´m having huge troubles getting the web version of discord to work. it just says that i´m using not supported browser,no matter what browser i use. i need discord to function. Huge thanks for anyone who can help me.

discord rip.JPG

22 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Hi,

i´m having huge troubles getting web version of discord to work.

it just says that i´m using not supported browser,no matter what browser i use.

i need discord to function. Huge thanks for anyone who can help me.

discord rip.JPG

Try using roytam1’s New Moon browser instead. I use Discord with it and have no issues. 

7 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

Try using roytam1’s New Moon browser instead. I use Discord with it and have no issues. 

No luck here :/

Windows vista is updated all the way soo i have no idea why it doesn´t work :(

nope.JPG

@WinClient5270 they are trying to use the voice features, which require a specific useragent (one matching ONLY FF, Chrome or Opera with no other additions like "PaleMoon/28.2.1" in it)

@Jaguarek62 try spoofing your useragent using any addon that can do so to Firefox 60 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; U; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 and it might work.

See what I wrote in "Last Versions of Software" thread: that might fix your issues. Make sure you have the codecs added in NM.

Be lucky Discord fixed their garbage related to deliberately blocking out Gecko/Goanna around the time the FF57 beta was released - and making the screen flash every 6 seconds as of PM 28.x...

Edited by Chociu

There's no need for addons though, in Pale Moon's case, you can set any user agent you want in about:config, you (or rather, Jaguarek in this case) just have to:

1. Type about:config in the address bar, press enter and confirm the warning.

2.  Right click anywhere and from the menu choose New -> String

3. In the dialog box, add this as the preference name:

general.useragent.override.discordapp.com

4. Set this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0

As the string value, then click OK. (You also can obviously set NT 6.0 instead of 6.1, but there are sadly a couple sites which refuse to work for whatever reason, if they detect NT version any lower than the one of Windows 7.)

Didn't know you could do that, even for specific sites, directly in PM. Pretty cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if Discord is one of said sites since they said they don't care about XP/Vista compatibility at all and seemingly deliberately broke the browser version for Gecko 52 a month before FF57 came out. It took until PM28.2 for XP users to get a stable Discord experience since then...

7 hours ago, Chociu said:

@WinClient5270 they are trying to use the voice features, which require a specific useragent (one matching ONLY FF, Chrome or Opera with no other additions like "PaleMoon/28.2.1" in it)

Oh ok, I didn't know that since I never use Discord voice, I only text on it.

Hopefully changing the UA string will work. I bet it probably has something to do with the 6.0 version string since Discord stated on their Twitter here that they don't support Windows Vista with their Desktop Client or on their website... I could understand the former since it's Electron-based, but the latter is just a classic case of senseless artificial OS blocking IMO.

11 hours ago, Tamris said:

There's no need for addons though, in Pale Moon's case, you can set any user agent you want in about:config, you (or rather, Jaguarek in this case) just have to:

1. Type about:config in the address bar, press enter and confirm the warning.

2.  Right click anywhere and from the menu choose New -> String

3. In the dialog box, add this as the preference name:

general.useragent.override.discordapp.com

4. Set this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0

As the string value, then click OK. (You also can obviously set NT 6.0 instead of 6.1, but there are sadly a couple sites which refuse to work for whatever reason, if they detect NT version any lower than the one of Windows 7.)

Well it worked, but not in Firefox or New Moon. Only browser that works with discord now is Bazilisk. Nevermind i can live with that. Thank you!

Hi all :)

For starters, I have never used Discord (dedicated desktop app / browser version), so am completely unfamiliar with it :rolleyes:; that is why I never bothered to chime in with regards to @Jaguarek62's plee for help...

BTW, it is bad netiquette to create exact duplicate posts for the same issue on different threads (first there , then here <_<). 

@dencorso, perhaps it would be better to transfer this recent discussion about the web edition of Discord in Vista to the standalone thread started by @Jaguarek62 ?

Some points I want to make:

On 12/3/2018 at 9:15 PM, WinClient5270 said:

On 12/3/2018 at 9:59 PM, Chociu said:

they are trying to use the voice features

14 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Well it worked, but not in Firefox or New Moon. Only browser that works with discord now is Bazilisk

I'm quite certain that these voice features are based on the WebRTC API; however, Pale Moon (ergo New Moon) has removed support for that one (by choice of the Moonchild dev team), so New Moon would never work for that discord functionality :no:

On 12/3/2018 at 10:17 PM, Tamris said:

There's no need for addons though, in Pale Moon's case, you can set any user agent you want in about:config

This feature is called Site-Specific-User-Agent-Override (SSUAO) ; old Firefox did have it enabled, but it was later crippled in favour of extensions :realmad:; besides Pale Moon (New Moon), other browsers with that feature ON are Basilisk (55/moebius + 52/UXP) and its fork Serpent 52.9.0, CyberFox 52.9.1 (can be patched to run on Vista SP2, but, sadly, is now a dead project) and SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (also EOL'ed). 

The reason Serpent 52.9.0 works for Discord Voice features is

1. It has native support for WebRTC

2. It has native support for SSUAO

FWIW, Firefox ESR 52.9.0 [EOL'ed] does support WebRTC (but not SSUAO), so you could restore the Voice Features there by creating a General-User-Agent-Override (GUAO) with NT 6.1+ inside it and a recent (supported) Firefox version, e.g.

general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

(60.0 is the current ESR branch); if you don't want to appear to all sites as FirefoxESR 60 on Win7 64-bit, then, as hinted, you'd have to use extensions in FxESR 52.9.0 (e.g. UAControl + User-Agent JS Fixer)...

Regards

Edited by VistaLover

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2018 at 11:55 AM, VistaLover said:

This feature is called Site-Specific-User-Agent-Override (SSUAO); old Firefox did have it enabled, but it was later crippled in favour of extensions :realmad:; besides Pale Moon (New Moon), other browsers with that feature ON are Basilisk (55/moebius + 52/UXP) and its fork Serpent 52.9.0, CyberFox 52.9.1 (can be patched to run on Vista SP2, but, sadly, is now a dead project) and SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (also EOL'ed). 

The reason Serpent 52.9.0 works for Discord Voice features is

1. It has native support for WebRTC

2. It has native support for SSUAO

FWIW, Firefox ESR 52.9.0 [EOL'ed] does support WebRTC (but not SSUAO), so you could restore the Voice Features there by creating a General-User-Agent-Override (GUAO) with NT 6.1+ inside it and a recent (supported) Firefox version, e.g.

general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

(60.0 is the current ESR branch)

While I still don't understand why something known as a "Site-Specific-User-Agent-Override (SSUAO)" begins with "general.useragent.override", as of now, I am happy to confirm that this trick also works in Feodor2's Centaury! (build of Basilisk Web browser for Windows XP)

Also, to be more specific, Discord (at least at this moment in time) is not at all bothered by reporting "Windows NT 5.1" as part of the user agent, and it will happily note that I'm using Windows XP!  :)

Feodor2 intelligently uses the "%OS_SLICE%" variable instead of pretending to be Windows 7 or something like the others seem to do for all the overrides (I wish they'd all follow his lead!)

The full currently-working user agent string for those wondering:

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

Btw; I set that for both <discord.com> and <discordapp.com> since the old domain name is still used internally.  Just reporting what worked for me; I haven't yet tested enough to know exactly what is strictly necessary!  :P

Edited by ThomasW
Grammatical correction