My account has been blocked

nicely

3 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

DarkKnight: yes, the archive contains only DWMGlass.dll which is complete and fully functional implementation of my Aero Glass. The fact that the archive does not contain installer and user must install/load DLL on its own does not change anything. And even the "completeness" is not absolutely important at all, because the copyright applies even to the parts of the work.

I already mentioned this earlier, so just for repetition. Yes, when you are not logged it, the statement is not displayed and you can download only PUBLIC releases. I have no problem if this public release appears somewhere. The problem is that the incriminated version was not public and required login (and thus the statement was displayed).

Like I said, your software, your decision, I just think some of us see it a little differently. :yes:

You should also realize that the account has not been blocked just due to one mistakely released private version. This step has been taken as reaction to many users' ignorance and behaviour during the whole time of development of my software. If you look into past, you can see situations when I released private version to donators only and someone immediately publish it in different forum - not "by mistake", but intentionally to disrespect my work.

Look... I spend a a lot of my free time to develop this software, it is sometimes very difficult to make it fully work and the result -> users complain "2 days and no update"... I write "do not install into Program Files" -> users install into Program Files and complain that it does not work ... I write "it is only debug beta for preview" and users complain that it is not fully usable and debug tools annoy them... I write "you are not allow to publish" and what is the result? Yes, users publish it. So why are they wondering when there are made steps against their ignorance?

12 hours ago, dencorso said:

It's quite clear to me. It means, if one annoys bigmuscle enough he may as well disappear, go use his talents in other endeavours, and let all the users of his program in the rain!  :yes:

So, the action of one will have consequences for many?

Interesting approach, but I was more curious about the "and".

Seingly the one's acount has been blocked BUT the final release has not been delayed (or maybe it has been delayed without publicizing the fact).

jaclaz

7 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Yes. It propagates like a hormone cascade. It was delayed, but just a little. The effect is cumulative and exponential. :ph34r:

Well, Rules should be clear, I propose:

If it happens, your account will be disabled and the final release will be delayed for long time one period for each infraction.

Where period may be 1 day,  1 week, 1 month, etc.

Essentially someone wanting to halt the development would:

1) donate a small amount of money
2) download a private build
3) republish it
4) anonymously alert Bigmucle of the "leak"
5) get his/her account banned AND have the final release delayed by one period
6) rinse and repeat

Now, it would only be fair that this hypothetical saboteur was made able to calculate the cost of the sabotage, and If the delay is exponential (as opposed to fixed) the saboteur would save a lot of money, 

Also, how can we adequately blame "nicely" if we don't know how long enough the final release was delayed because of his naughty behaviour? :dubbio: 

jaclaz

13 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Also, how can we adequately blame "nicely" if we don't know how long enough the final release was delayed because of his naughty behaviour? :dubbio: 

By observing the flight of the birds from the Roman Capitolium, maybe? :unsure:

24 minutes ago, djmagnifique said:

I'm not trying to add fuel to the here but i've just opened a private browser, clicked on the experimental version without being logged in and was able to download it.

Glass.jpg

no need to open a private browser - i just downloaded it from my normal browser

file name is rs5_17763_1479_x64dbg.7z - so unless i/we are missing something and the donation king has made it available to anybody why is he banning someone for posting something that the world and its dog can download

as to said download delaying a release - well kids take their bat/ball home when something is said or done that they do not like - maybe thats the principal here

To clarify:

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

No doubts about the stern look of disapproval, it's only about the amount of time served, that should be proportional to the delay caused to the project:

stern-look-of-disapproval.gif

jaclaz

10 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

You should also realize that the account has not been blocked just due to one mistakely released private version. This step has been taken as reaction to many users' ignorance and behaviour during the whole time of development of my software. If you look into past, you can see situations when I released private version to donators only and someone immediately publish it in different forum - not "by mistake", but intentionally to disrespect my work.

Look... I spend a a lot of my free time to develop this software, it is sometimes very difficult to make it fully work and the result -> users complain "2 days and no update"... I write "do not install into Program Files" -> users install into Program Files and complain that it does not work ... I write "it is only debug beta for preview" and users complain that it is not fully usable and debug tools annoy them... I write "you are not allow to publish" and what is the result? Yes, users publish it. So why are they wondering when there are made steps against their ignorance?

When you are in the software development business, you know as well as I there are always those that just DO NOT follow directions for whatever reason, mostly because people choose not to READ and follow directions, all they want to do is download the file and run it and 99.9% of the time if the software does not perform for them it's only because of my previous statement, people do not follow directions.

"If you look into past, you can see situations when I released private version to donators only and someone immediately publish it in different forum - not "by mistake", but intentionally to disrespect my work."  You are preaching to the choir my friend but, all I can say is it is all part of software development, like I said in a previous post, if I had a nickel for every time someone took or republished something of mine, I would be rich. Being able to control Copyright on the web is virtually impossible and unless you are a mega software giant that has the time and resources to chase down copyright infringement you pretty much have to put up with it or change your licensing model to make it harder on those that try to redistribute your software, the only thing I can suggest is that instead of a donation key model change to a license key where everyone would get a unique activation number so that if that activation number gets shared then you can blacklist it and the software(s) with that number then becomes inoperable.

I COMPLETELY understand that the development of Aeroglass is done on your free time and that MS is making it harder for you to develop it, which is why I don't complain about it and those that do just really do not understand what goes into something like Aeroglass and to keep it up to date, especially with a one man operation that also needs to keep his day job in order to pay the bills.

What I don't understand though is how the actions of one person would delay the release of the software indefinitely?

I know it gets to be a bit much listening to all the moaning and groaning, personally if it were me, I would just select a handful of testers, and let them test it before release instead of making it available to everyone, then you would not have to worry about things like what happened with nicely happening.

Edited by DarkKnight

47 minutes ago, dencorso said:

@bigmuscle's simply applying the (Alice in Wonderland's) Code of the Queen of Hearts: whatever the misdeed...

Naaah, more like Monty Python's Life of Brian:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/quotes/qt0471984

Brian: What will they do to me?

Ben the Prisoner: Oh you'll probably get away with crucifixion.

Brian: CRUCIFIXION?

Ben the Prisoner: Yeah, first offense.

jaclaz