Is it worth updating to WMP11?

NojusK

As being a WMP9 fan i never updated it to WMP 10 or 11 since i like WMP9 lightness and UIwmp9.JPG.602b75f506066850994cf2441f878b04.JPG

But my question is:

Is it worth upgrading to WMP11?:dubbio:

Edited by someguy25

Windows Media Player was released 12 years ago in 2006, and will not be able to play many files available today.

For years I have highly recommended VLC Media Player. It still supports Windows XP and will play many files, even one you may never have heard of such as mkv, flv, etc.

The current version is 3.0.4 and their webpage is here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

1 hour ago, sdfox7 said:

Windows Media Player was released 12 years ago in 2006, and will not be able to play many files available today.

For years I have highly recommended VLC Media Player. It still supports Windows XP and will play many files, even one you may never have heard of such as mkv, flv, etc.

The current version is 3.0.4 and their webpage is here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I do have VLC installed incase wmp 9 goes boom.But mainly i have k lite codec pack installed and wmp9 dvd codec to play dvds 

:)

Install the latest version available for XP of the K-Lite Codec Pack and install PotPlayer / MPC-HC.

They are light and very powerful players, way better than VLC and they'll let you choose which renders to use (D3D9, Haali, MadVR, OpenCl) and the hardware acceleration (DXVA2-copyback, Intel QuickSync, NVCUID etc).

They will also let you choose whether you want post-processing or not, like linear interpolation (which is like the true motion function on TVs), Denoise, Debanding and so on via frameserver (Avisynth) and many other options.

PotPlayer and MPC-HC are way more tweakable than VLC and other player and with the K-Lite Codec Pack (which includes LAV Filters) you are good to go. ;)

3 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Install the latest version available for XP of the K-Lite Codec Pack and install PotPlayer / MPC-HC.

They are light and very powerful players, way better than VLC and they'll let you choose which renders to use (D3D9, Haali, MadVR, OpenCl) and the hardware acceleration (DXVA2-copyback, Intel QuickSync, NVCUID etc).

They will also let you choose whether you want post-processing or not, like linear interpolation (which is like the true motion function on TVs), Denoise, Debanding and so on via frameserver (Avisynth) and many other options.

PotPlayer and MPC-HC are way more tweakable than VLC and other player and with the K-Lite Codec Pack (which includes LAV Filters) you are good to go. ;)

I guess my answer was geared more towards people who aren't tech savvy and just want something that works.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:21 PM, sdfox7 said:

2006 ? I have been using it for long time before....

the WMP10 has better appearance than the WMP9 and I don't like the WMP11 either

as said above MPH-HC and Kazaa codecs pack are a must.

in addition you may also consider this thing http://madvr.com/

Windows Media Player 11 is not a must, but windows media 11 runtime (wmfdist11.exe, most recent for Windows XP) can be used without any problem even if an older Windows Media Player (9,10) is installed. This ensures that programs that are runtime-dependent on the latest windows media runtime display smoothly.

:)

On 11/30/2018 at 8:43 AM, caliber said:

2006 ? I have been using it for long time before....

the WMP10 has better appearance than the WMP9 and I don't like the WMP11 either

as said above MPH-HC and Kazaa codecs pack are a must.

in addition you may also consider this thing http://madvr.com/

I was referring to MP version 11, as is indicated in the title of this thread.

Only use case would be metadata, which is impossible to retrieve in WMP9/10 since about late 2015. However if you like the Vista-like UI go ahead and install it (look for a patched LegitLibM.dll and unzip the EXE for WMP11 first).

WMP 10 is like WMP 9 but better. WMP 11 is like WMP 12 (fewer details, more graphics). I have used both on Windows XP with no problems, it is basically a matter of preference. As for codecs the Shark007 ones are also good (I use them on Windows 8 but they can be used on Windows XP too as far as I remember).