Windows 7 on a Coffee Lake PC

alacran

As I read about new H310 ChipSets supporting Win7 on Coffee Lake platform, in order to improve my old (Win7x64) PC, recently bought an Asus Prime H310M-E R2.0 MB, a Pentium Gold G5500 (3.8 Ghz, 2 Cores, 4 Threads), two Kingston HyperX Fury 4 GB at 2400 MHZ modules of RAM, an Adata SU650 240 GB SSD, and as secondary the old 1 TB HDD.

On MB page there are available (almost) all drivers for Win7x64 but not the Video Driver, CPU Processor Graphics:  Intel UHD Graphics 630, and on Intel there is only driver for Win10.

I tried all known tricks used to install HD Graphics 630 for previous generation processors, adding line for ID (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3E91 taken from a Win10 install on another partition) and in fact they work and let me install the HD 630 driver (unsigned, but install anyway), but it is not loaded by the OS during boot, on device manager it is with the yellow mark and says device reported a problem and was not loaded by system (code 36 or 42 depending on driver version), driver versions tested are 21.20.16.4508, 4526, 4541, 4551 and 4678.

So even if I think (and also read) both graphics drivers are basically same thing and new one is just renamed from HD 630 to UHD 630 the fact is I can't make it work so far, and I have several programs that do not run on Win10, so Win10 is not an option (and also I hate it).

Any ideas?

Please don't suggest to buy a video board, I don't want to spend more money. and processor graphics should be enought for my needs (including watching NetFlix by HDMI and play some low resource consuming games).

alacran

Edited by alacran

As stated on the ASRock's website on their H310 motherboards in red letters:

Pj4U7HF.png

There are no drivers for integrated GPU for Coffee Lake processors for Windows 7. Only for Kaby Lake and older. Sorry :(

I wish I could provide other solutions than to buy a cheap passively cooled GPU (GT 1030 DDR5 or RX 550 which do support Windows 7), but I can't.

With the EOL of Windows 7 coming ever so closer, we can expect more of this stuff in the future.

I remembered I had a GT 710 2 GB RAM on another PC and decided to try this one, now after installing it with its last version drivers all is working great and I have Win7x64 running very fine on Coffee Lake without any issue.

Anyway I know this is and old graphic card, but it is good enought for my actual needs and I will remain running Win7 updated up to Dic/2017 (I'm not installing any more BS updates on any of my machines since that date). for as long as possible until FireFox and Avast Free stop supporting it, then go to some Linux distro and a virtual machine to run my especific programs.

It's been some time I'm testing some Linux distributions to be ready when needed. Ubuntu is too bloated, Linux Lite (Ubuntu based) seems as a good option for MBR paritioned disks (not bigger than 2 GB).

Also Linux Mint x64 is a very good option, good to install on MBR and (UEFI) GPT partitioned disks.

alacran

Edited by alacran
More info

• 1 month later...