Windows Update stuck on searching for updates

NojusK

I followed 2 videos:

And i did everything in this video and Windows Update is still searching for updates forever.I waited 2 hours and still not working :(

Can someone help me?:)

What is the current state of your Vista installation? Is it an old or a fresh install? Has SP1 been (manually) correctly installed? Then you should proceed with (manually) installing SP2, followed by installing Internet Explorer 9. Then search for (in MUC) and manually install latest security update for IE9

(2018-11 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008 for x86-based systems (KB4466536))

Then you should manually install the latest update for Server 2008 SP2 that updates win32k.sys (previously known as "Update for the Windows Kernel") which, in all probability, is KB4056944; in the past, that was the decisive update to be installed manually that would speed up the whole process of checking for updates...

I have stopped trying to manually update my system a while ago, so can't speak from experience on the latest state of affairs... Last things I read were that MS has applied to Server 2008 the same updating model as the one used in Win7SP1+, i.e. offering update bundles (Rollups) rather than standalone ones; and they may (?) have switched to TLS 1.2 for delivering updates, which should be an issue for a new Vista install (which only ever supported TLS 1.0); but this is pure speculation on my part...

9 hours ago, someguy25 said:

I waited 2 hours and still not working :(

2 hours isn't much :whistle:, especially if you need to find a lot of updates ; better leave the machine running overnight, check back again in the morning...

Also, some people had posted that installing the standalone version of the Windows Update Agent did help them

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/949104/how-to-update-the-windows-update-agent-to-the-latest-version

Download the "Stand-alone package for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1", once run, it will correctly detect Vista (NT 6.0) and install a Vista compatible version; after the installation and full restart, file wuaueng.dll should be at version 7.6.7600.256

For additional help, you'll have better luck, hopefully, if you posted in the forum's dedicated thread:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175919-windows-update-taking-forever/

and/or in

https://msfn.org/board/topic/176686-server-2008-updates-on-windows-vista/

Hope I've helped... :)

Edited by VistaLover

• 2 weeks later...

In @WinClient5270's tutorial you have to reboot after each update is applied; otherwise it just throws an "Unknown error" constantly.

Also, related to TLS 1.2 updates don't bother if you use a version of Windows Vista that isn't have the gpedit.msc, because otherwise it seems impossible to enable it oddly...