Change language of an updated XP

FranceBB

I installed my XP copy many years ago, in 2002.

Since then, I managed to move it from Hard Drive to Hard Drive, motherboard to motherboard, CPU to CPU and so on by just using a clone-disk utility.

Anyway, I moved to the UK in 2015 and I'd like to have my OS in English, 'cause it kinda feels weird and annoying to have it in Italian. 

I mean, I already have everything in English (my mobile is in English, my TV is in English, my washing machine is in English, my microwave oven is in English, my Linux installation is in English, my Windows Server 2019 installation is in English) so why can't my XP be in English?

I've found somewhere on internet that I can modify a registry value and install the Service Pack 3, however I have an updated XP with all the POSReady updates; re-installing SP3 would overwrite the updated system files (and I don't want that).

Then, I came across the EgyMore Language Pack for Windows XP, but guess what? It doesn't have English!

3z4XhgG.png

I don't wanna make a fresh-new install of my Windows XP, so I ask you: what other options do I have?

Thank you in advance,

Frank.

Edited by FranceBB

I wonder if just reversing the process below (to switch from English to Lithuanian) would work?

On 11/17/2018 at 5:12 PM, Bersaglio said:

Hmm. Looks like usual MUI problem on the English version of Windows XP SP3 after updating xpsp2res.dll

It can be easily fixed.

Open registry editor regedit.exe then navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MUILanguages\FileVersions\XXXX\xpsp2res.dll]

(where XXXX - Lithuanian language code).

You should change all REG_DWORD:00000000 values here to REG_DWORD:00000001 (Just be careful and do not rush!). Then close registry editor and restart your system.

IOW, use the Italian language code for XXXX, and change all the DWORDs from 00000001 to 00000000.

19 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I wonder if just reversing the process below (to switch from English to Lithuanian) would work?

IOW, use the Italian language code for XXXX, and change all the DWORDs from 00000001 to 00000000.

Dont want to be off-topic.But,.....

Its back to english for me :blink:

seccenter.JPG

@Mathwiz it's a localised version of Windows Professional. MUI it's just not there:

6C11pVI.png

Can I "convert" a localised version of XP into a MUI one?

I googled the "Language Interface Pack" and I found a link https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=1231 but it just lets me download "Readme.html" (3kb).

Edited by FranceBB

53 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

I googled the "Language Interface Pack" and I found a link https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=1231 but it just lets me download "Readme.html" (3kb).

And is it surprising?

This English page is for reference only, Language Interface Packs (LIP) for Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition is not available in English, but provides a localized User Interface for emerging or minority language markets.

jaclaz

@FranceBB : Italian (it-IT) is what is called the base language of your OS, and it can't be fully reverted to English (en-US) without an OS re-install; however, people have posted a workaround, which might solve your predicament... Funny thing is, the person asking for that in tomshardware site is a (supposedly) compatriot of yours, wanting to change from Italian to English:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/281286-45-change-display-language-windows-professional

=> "as far as I know there is only one way. SP3 + regedit" ; the youtube video guide has been long removed (probably at MS's request), but, thankfully, another site has saved it as complete instructions, including screenshots:

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Language-of-Your-Computer-(Windows-XP)

2. Understand the process. While it is not technically possible to change the base language without reinstalling Windows, you can use a workaround to change the majority of the interface to your desired language. This requires downloading the Service Pack 3 update (even if you already have it installed) as well as changing a few registry values

I believe WinXP SP3 update (in en-US) is saved by MSFN member @sdfox7 in his server (but should be available in Microsoft Update Catalogue)... Worth a shot trying the procedure...

Auguri :P

Edited by VistaLover

I just changed the values in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language

Default: 0409

InstallLanguage: 0409

I'm now downloading the Service Pack 4 (instead of SP3), so hopefully I won't have to reinstall too many updates.

Hopefully it's gonna work. I'll let you know. ;)

5 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Hopefully it's gonna work.

The wikihow article I linked to has the Community Tested green badge, which signifies:

When you see the green checkmark on a wikiHow article, you know that the article has received careful review. In this case, a trusted member of the wikiHow community confirmed that the instructions worked.

But are you sure installing (unofficial) SP4 is the way to go? :dubbio:

Ok, the system is up and running, however it's... uh... "hybrid".

Some menus are in Italian, some others are in English.

I installed the SP4, 'cause Harkaz wrote in the topic that "Windows XP SP4 can installed on any version of Windows XP with SP1", which led me to think that SP4 actually includes SP2 and SP3.

Edited by FranceBB

3 hours ago, FranceBB said:

it's... uh... "hybrid". Some menus are in Italian, some others are in English.

... This is to be expected ;) ; only the (translated) strings for the fixes inside SP3 will change, some (basic) strings will remain in the base OS language (e.g. "Accessories" (All Programs) , "My Documents", "My Computer" (in the desktop), etc. will have stayed in Italian) ... From my linked article:

you can use a workaround to change the majority of the interface to your desired language... You may notice that some elements are still in the original language. This is a limitation of the workaround. The only way to completely display a different language is to reinstall Windows XP and select the correct language during installation

Please also read this comment; it's from the (somewhat old) article:

https://jekkilekki.wordpress.com/2009/01/05/changing-os-languages-in-windows-xp/

If you read through, you'll find how to revert your changes (you'll need SP3 in the original base language of your installation); while straightforward, the procedure is not 100% risk free, as can been seen in some of the comments; but the main challenge now is finding SP3 off-line installers for other (non-English) languages, since mom Microsoft has done its best to hide those links... :realmad:

EDIT:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)

(clicking the download blue button will generate a pop-up with additional language selection...)

You may have to re-install some applications so they, too, display in English - it's the case of the ones that detect the OS language to determine the locale they should install in... E.g., I expect you'll have to re-install IE8 in English (and, perhaps, all of its updates), if you want IE in English, too...

Ciao :)

Edited by VistaLover
Links for SP3s added

I'm downloading the SP3, even though I don't know whether it's a good idea to install the SP3 with all the updates I have, but I'll try.

Anyway, I noticed that right now, even with "just" the SP4, when I boot in safe mode and I log as Administrator, pretty much everything is in English already, however when I log as FranceBB (my account) the majority of the system settings are in Italian.

That's weird...

For instance, if I open the task manager as Administrator, it's in English, if I open it as FranceBB it's in Italian.

Edited by FranceBB

2 hours ago, FranceBB said:

... and I log as Administrator, pretty much everything is in English already, however when I log as FranceBB (my account) the majority of the system settings are in Italian. (snipped) For instance, if I open the task manager as Administrator, it's in English, if I open it as FranceBB it's in Italian.

I think this is because your original user account (username=FranceBB) was created when the base OS language was (and still is, in that respect) Italian... I think what you should try is create now a NEW Windows user account (e.g. username=FranceBB2), preferably within the Admins group (if you're the sole user on that PC) and see how that new account behaves...

If it is to your liking, then you should permanently transfer over your personal (user) files and Windows settings to the new account and use only that (keep the old account around for a while, in case some weird issues pop up; to free up space on your disk, in the long run you should delete the old account, but this is up to you...). 

My suggestion/advice to you comes as a result of @heinoganda's post in another thread:

35 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

If a second language is used, it is better to set up another user with the desired language.

Some might argue that creating a new user account in Windows and re-configuring it is not actually very remote from re-installing the OS itself, but still... :rolleyes:

Cheers