Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

Microsoft Update offered me two suppsedly important updates for Office 2010 on Windows XP a couple of days ago, KB2863821 and KB4461522.
They installed fine, but the next day I came to use Word, and it would not run, with the error message -

Application popup: winword.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry point GetDateFormatEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

This was followed by "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application".

I quickly found that no Office programs would now run, with the same error messages.
I removed the two updates, and all returned to normal.
I have no idea which of the updates caused the problem, and I haven't been offered either of them again so far, but if you are offered them, beware as they may well completely break your Office installation!
:)

41 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Application popup: winword.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry point GetDateFormatEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

Sounds like M$, uh, "forgot" that Office 2010 is supposed to run on Windows XP. I bet the updates are fine if you're on Win 7. (Vista could go either way, I suppose; someone will just have to try them and see.)

Thanks. It doesn't actually look as if the updates are that important, just something to do with changes to the Japanese calendar.
I'm now being offered them both again.
I suspect that @Mathwizis right, MS have indeed broken XP compatibility with KB4461522.
I hope they fix it, and don't just say that XP isn't supported any more.
I wasn't sure BTW whether to put this thread here or in the Office forum.
As it almost certainly does only affect Office 2010 users running it on XP, I guess this was the right place, but mods do feel free to move it!

Office 2007 won't receive this update anyway, as it's out of support.
I've now reinstalled KB2863821, and it is fine.
I guess I'll just hide KB4461522 and hope a version that works appears next Tuesday, but I'm not holding my breath!

Edited by Dave-H
Ammendment

2 hours ago, MagikGimp said:

KB4461522 is the culprit. KB2863821 is fine to install. Thank god for this thread; I almost went to repair the whole installation! No thanks to Micro$oft, as usual...

Thanks @MagikGimp. That was a timely help. I was looking for installation setup file. Fortunately, I saw this before I went into deep dive. 

I don't have Office 2010, but I do have PowerPoint Viewer & M$ Access database engine, which use Office 2010 components, so I typically get the Office 2010 updates offered.

Weirdly, the yellow shield appeared and asked me to download the two Office 2010 updates published yesterday. I did so - but it never offered to install them!

After seeing this thread I decided to check Add/Remove Programs to see if either had been installed. As far as I could tell, they had not. So I ran M$ Update, hid KB4461522, and selected KB2863821 to be installed.

Then, as I was installing the update, the yellow shield popped up again and asked me to install! (It went away after the install completed.) Weird....

On 11/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, Dave-H said:

Microsoft Update offered me two suppsedly important updates for Office 2010 on Windows XP a couple of days ago, KB2863821 and KB4461522.
They installed fine, but the next day I came to use Word, and it would not run, with the error message -

This was followed by "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application".

I quickly found that no Office programs would now run, with the same error messages.
I removed the two updates, and all returned to normal.
I have no idea which of the updates caused the problem, and I haven't been offered either of them again so far, but if you are offered them, beware as they may well completely break your Office installation!

dave how do you fix this problem ...i need to access my file   tks bill 

Yes, just uninstall KB4461522 from Add/Remove Programs and it should come good.
That update replaces MSO.DLL, which then seems to be making a call to a function which does not exist in XP.
I still hope we might get a fixed version in the latest Patch Tuesday updates, which I haven't been offered yet.

I contacted Microsoft support regarding this issue and the overall response I received sounded positive. I still wouldn't hold my breath on MS solving the issue though.

Office update support ticket.JPG

Office update support ticket 2.JPG

Edited by noles20

There were indeed several Office 2010 updates in this month's Patch Tuesday package, but none replaced MSO.DLL again.
I did see there was an update to kernel32.dll for the first time in a while, and I wondered if perhaps they'd added the missing GetDateFormatEx function, but sadly not.
I reinstalled KB4461522 and Office immediately completely failed again.
:(
Let's hope they do address the problem soon, as surely XP compatibility should be maintained for as long as Office 2010 is itself supported, as it was sold on the basis that it was compatible with XP.

Edited by Dave-H

Thank you from the bottom of my heart :thumbup , i had the same error message and suddenly all the applications of microsoft office 2010 didn't work

anymore. Luckily there are people like you that share their experiences! I removed the updates that you indicate and now it's all ok.

Have a good day, thanks again.