Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Dave-H

Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

Can't install neither KB4464567 nor KB4464524. Any tips? A manual install of the former doesn't work. I couldn't be bothered trying the other one. Cheers guys.

36 minutes ago, MagikGimp said:

Can't install neither KB4464567 nor KB4464524. Any tips?

I have both updates installed. Most likely you have installed the update of the system KB4494528, but the tweak is not done. You need to execute the command "regsvr32 MSI.DLL" in the command line. After this update should be installed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Update 4464567 installed OK today but had to remove 4461614 which caused the usual problem.

KB4462223 is the latest broken update, from April.
KB4461614 is an older version, not that this helps at all of course!
:lol:

Posted (edited)

I have found a good fix for this issue after lot's of testing.:cheerleader:

First backup your current MSO.DLL from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14 and then install the broken KB4462223, after your done, go back to the directory and place your backed  MSO.DLL to the same directory and by overriding (or you can back it if you want) it and hooray! Office 2010 works again!:D

office2010.png

Edited by someguy25
typo

Yes, of course; but what's the point? The only file updated by KB4462223 is mso.dll, so you're just installing the update then essentially uninstalling it again.

Might as well just hide it and not install it to start with.

Just now, Mathwiz said:

Yes, of course; but what's the point? The only file updated by KB4462223 is mso.dll, so you're just installing the update then essentially uninstalling it again.

I half agree with you. But it's atleast something then having a broken office install, after all.

:)

58 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Indeed so, and surely if you put the old MSO.DLL back, Microsoft Update will just nag you to install the patch again?!
:dubbio:

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Indeed so, and surely if you put the old MSO.DLL back, Microsoft Update will just nag you to install the patch again?!
:dubbio:

Haven't seen the update being nagged again after placing the old mso.dll :)

m2Q518x.png

Edited by Nojus2001

Interesting, I always assumed that MS Update looked at the file versions on the system to determine if an update was needed, perhaps it doesn't!
I'll give it a try, it would be nice to have a "clean" MS Update without the nag that I've hidden an important update.
:)

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'll give it a try, it would be nice to have a "clean" MS Update without the nag that I've hidden an important update.

[Google translation]

Dave-H, did it work for you too?

Edited by Jose Mattos

Posted (edited)

Amazingly, and against all my expectations, yes it did!
:thumbup
I copied MSO.DLL to a temporary folder, reinstalled KB4462223 via Microsoft Update (which resulted in the Office programs failing), and then put the original MSO.DLL back.
Office is now working again, and MS Update is no longer telling me that I've hidden an important update, and when I scan again it says I'm up to date!
Thank you very much indeed @Nojus2001, great result!
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Amazingly, and against all my expectations, yes it did!

Thank you very much indeed @Nojus2001 and @Dave-H!

Edited by Jose Mattos
Link members
  • Like 1

I'm not surprised. I would expect MS Update to read the list of Updates in the Registry rather than opening a lot of files, some of which could be locked.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Seems I am behind as the version of Office I have is Office XP

how does Office 2010 perform on XP ?

is it worth updating, I know alot of newer files created with newer office won;t open in Office XP

also does anyone have a link to a Full Office XP, as I need it again the install CD i had has gone corrupt

Edited by DrWho3000