Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

Now on my Win98+Kex.25 laptop (primitive ftpd -> FF2).

ImportPatcher.42 reports missing:

[Kernel32.dll]

EnumCalendarInfoExEx=

GetThreadIOPendingFlag=

Transferring to XP via thumb drive for analysis next.

The actual error when using that version of MSO.DLL and trying to run Word is -

"Application popup: winword.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry point GetFinalPathNameByHandleW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

That message appears again if dismissed, followed by the "operating system is not configured" message.
There is no mention of EnumCalendarInfoExEx but that does look very like a function which was referenced in an earlier error.
:dubbio:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 6:43 PM, Dave-H said:

Thanks, I've tried using that and I'm getting the same result as you are, the MiniTool is scanning but not finding anything.

Seems the WSUS proxy has "sort of" been fixed. In that they added a 30-second timeout to each Windows Update request. Now when you run it, one of the requests times out. I take it that's the request for Office updates:

[Sun Jul 18 12:51:38 2021] 127.0.0.1:9075 [200]: /?/ClientWebService/client.asmx

[Sun Jul 18 12:53:45 2021] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 second
s exceeded in C:\Program Files\WSUS\src\index.php on line 188
[Sun Jul 18 12:53:45 2021] 127.0.0.1:9077 [200]: /?/ClientWebService/client.asmx
 - Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Program Files\WSUS\src\in
dex.php on line 188
[Sun Jul 18 12:53:45 2021] 127.0.0.1:9079 Invalid request (An existing connectio
n was forcibly closed by the remote host.
)
[Sun Jul 18 12:53:46 2021] 127.0.0.1:9082 [200]: /?/ClientWebService/client.asmx

[Sun Jul 18 12:53:46 2021] 127.0.0.1:9084 [200]: /?/ClientWebService/client.asmx

You old-timers may recall that we used to have this kind of problem with Windows Update when a "cumulative" update had been superseded many times (about 30 IIRC). Windows update would sometimes run for DAYS! My suspicion is that something similar happened with Office 2010 SP2.

Oh, well; we can still download the final updates via the catalog.

Excellent work everyone! I already had Office 2010 updated through Sept. 2020 via Microsoft Update; with your help I think I'm now completely updated!

There is one small annoyance left though. Anyone know of a way to kill this?

image.thumb.png.eadbc2383dcaaf8c292ad2dfed6a0a1d.png

On 9/22/2020 at 9:08 AM, VistaLover said:

... Though the author himself, in a red-lettered top notice, recommends instead to migrate to his more current utility, WinUpdatesView (v1.13) ... :P

On 9/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, Dave-H said:

This is true, but I like to see the file update information in the older version.
It doesn't do that on Windows versions newer than XP though, so the later version would probably be better on later operating systems.
:)

Strangely, WinUpdatesList doesn't show me the Office 2010 updates, but WinUpdatesView does....

Also, WinUpdatesView only shows me the updates installed via Microsoft Update or Automatic Updates, so it ends Sept. 2020. Add/Remove Programs (in Control Panel) shows all updates, even the ones I downloaded from the catalog and installed manually. Unfortunately Add/Remove Programs seems to list the updates in no particular order, and cannot be searched or sorted.

11 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Excellent work everyone! I already had Office 2010 updated through Sept. 2020 via Microsoft Update; with your help I think I'm now completely updated!

There is one small annoyance left though. Anyone know of a way to kill this?

image.thumb.png.eadbc2383dcaaf8c292ad2dfed6a0a1d.png

Strange, I've never seen that.

An interesting thread.
None of the registry entries mentioned there are present on my system at all.
I did wonder whether I had actually done the registry hack and forgotten about it, but it seems not.
Why I'm not seeing, and have never seen, the upgrade nag banner is a bit of a mystery!
It could be because my Office 2010 installation is one of the Office Professional Plus ones you can buy very cheaply online, as mentioned in the thread regarding Office 2019.
FWIW I gather that the selling of keys for those versions of Office has been declared legal in a court case, much to Microsoft's annoyance I'm sure!
That would seem to be confirmed by the huge number of people selling them perfectly openly on legit sites like Amazon.
:)

On 7/20/2021 at 6:14 AM, Dave-H said:

It could be because my Office 2010 installation is one of the Office Professional Plus ones you can buy very cheaply online, as mentioned in the thread regarding Office 2019.

That may be it. My version of Office 2010 (which came as an unexpected bonus CD when I bought a copy of Office XP on eBay) is different: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010. Looks like several users on the linked thread have that version as well.

From linked thread:

I have changed the date in the registry to remove the check till 2025.

Windows 10 updated overnight and on the first use of Office 2010 after this the banner reappeared in Word and Excel.  Second use of both - no banner, registry still has the 2025 date.

Glad that it isn't every time so thanks to contributors to this thread.

No problem for XP users, of course, but it looks like Win 10 users unlucky enough to have this nag will still get nagged monthly after each update. :realmad: