Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

On 10/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, Dave-H said:

The update should be here here -
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4092483

Unfortunately, the download no longer seems to work for me!
Can anyone else confirm this?
:angry:

On 10/28/2020 at 2:46 PM, IntMD said:

works for the Internet Explorer-specific version of Update Catalog.

So they've managed not only to screw up searching by hardware identificators (which is far useful for locating newest WHQL'd drivers) and how the results in general were less accurate, but also they screwed up searching at all for the non-IE version. nice,

EDIT: seems to be back now, for non-IE browsers, and they have finally unf***ed searching by HWIDs.

On 10/28/2020 at 4:10 PM, VistaLover said:

Works OK here in NM28 32-bit (Vista SP2 x86); direct link for KB4092483 32-bit:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2018/09/mso-x-none_852c8f4c16a121d662c070374553e1ffe159779a.cab

;)

On 10/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, Dave-H said:

Yes, working again for me now, I guess I tried it at the wrong moment!
:D

On 10/28/2020 at 11:25 PM, Dylan Cruz said:

[Machine Translation]

I'm sure that the links posted will be very useful for many users of this forum!

Thank you all!

Jose Mario
30/10/2020 - 04: 00h

• 2 weeks later...

Completely unexpectedly, I've been offered five updates for Office 2010 today, on my Windows 10 netbook!
They are -

KB4484455 Office
KB4486740 Word
KB4486737 Office
KB4486743 Excel
KB4484534 Office

They all seem to have downloaded and are pending install (I'm also doing the 20H2 Windows 10 update, which is going to take ages on this machine!)

Searching for those updates, there seems to be no information about them, but they are in the Update Catalogue!
:dubbio:

Same here.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4583503/november-2020-updates-for-microsoft-office

MS ignores the self-set endpoint?

BTW.: I have a problem with 20H2. Short description: Defenders protection history is totally empty, even with found and quarantine EICAR-Test virus. So there is absolutely no chance to get back a file from quarantine, no option to do the job.

Edited by Thomas S.

Strange, the updates are listed on that link now, but when I Googled for the KB numbers a few hours ago, there was nothing found at all!
They must have almost literally just put that information up, long after the updates were being offered by Windows Update!

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

• 4 weeks later...

oooooooohhhh - new December 2020 updates for MS Office 2010 (really!)

see MS support article 4583521 for new Office updates for December 2020, including Office 2010

XP users should avoid installing newly released KB4486698 update as that one installs an incompatible version of the mso.dll file for XP

seems like MS hasn't really fully retired support for Office 2010 yet (otherwise they would not be releasing any new updates for it)

Edited by erpdude8

Indeed, I was surprised too, but very pleased!
You can of course install KB4486698, but you will have to restore the older version of MSO.DLL afterwards.
I would personally recommend doing that, as it may contain other updates.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

On 11/8/2018 at 4:26 AM, Dave-H said:

Thanks. It doesn't actually look as if the updates are that important, just something to do with changes to the Japanese calendar.
I'm now being offered them both again.
I suspect that @Mathwizis right, MS have indeed broken XP compatibility with KB4461522.
I hope they fix it, and don't just say that XP isn't supported any more.
I wasn't sure BTW whether to put this thread here or in the Office forum.
As it almost certainly does only affect Office 2010 users running it on XP, I guess this was the right place, but mods do feel free to move it!

several months late on this but it seems Microsoft has pulled that old KB4461522 update - no longer available from MS Catalog as searching for KB4461522 yields no results.  MS article 4461522 was updated near end of May 2020 to reflect that it's gone.

Notice

After you install this update, you may experience difficulties in Microsoft Excel or other applications. To resolve this issue, install KB4462157.

This update is no longer available.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem on Windows XP regarding Office 2010 SP2. After installing Office 2010 SP2 on WinXP SP3 MCE2005, Windows Update stops working. It scans forever for new Updates, already scanned over 8h. Removing SP2 fixes the issue again. I'm using the method described here to search for Updates: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/restore-windows-update-for-windows-xp-server-2003.82538/page-4#post-1630258

Installed following Office 2010: Pro Plus, Visio Premium, Project Pro, all VL with integrated SP1 in english from genuine ISOs.

What issue does removing SP2 fix?
:dubbio:
Windows Update and Microsoft Update no longer work on XP, and haven't for a few months now.
I'm afraid if you've managed to install at least SP2 that's good, but the subsequent updates you will have to get from the MS Catalogue now I suspect.
People are working on a collection of the necessary updates, have a look here.

That never worked for me, and one of the symptoms was that it didn't fail immediately as it normally does now, but just scanned forever and never found anything.
I've never had it actually work properly I'm afraid, and you may just be seeing the same problem I had.
:no: