Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

• 1 month later...

20 hours ago, Dave-H said:

One Office 2010 update offered today (a week earlier than expected) KB4484377.

Seems to be fine.

:yes:

Agreed, seems fine here also. Didn't need to go searching for this update, as it was notified by the automatic update tray icon.

5 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I wonder if there will be more on offer next week on the actual "Patch Tuesday"?

Office updates have long been released separately, on the first Tuesday of the month - non-security updates, on the second Tuesday - security updates. It’s just that the 2010 office did not have non-security updates for a very long time.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:55 PM, erpdude8 said:

another new mso.dll office 2010 security update that XP users should avoid installing - KB4484126 (which replaces KB4464566)

and another new mso.dll office 2010 security update that just came out on Tue 6/9 - KB4484373 (supersedes KB4484126, KB4464566 & older)

Edited by erpdude8

Has anyone managed to get today's updates from Microsoft Update?

I've tried several times, but it's just scanning and scanning again like it was doing a year or two ago, and never finding anything.

I have got the yellow shield in the system tray so I could of course install the updates that way, but I'm just puzzled as to why Microsoft Update doesn't seem to be working again.

:dubbio:

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Has anyone managed to get today's updates from Microsoft Update?

I've tried several times, but it's just scanning and scanning again like it was doing a year or two ago, and never finding anything.

I have got the yellow shield in the system tray so I could of course install the updates that way, but I'm just puzzled as to why Microsoft Update doesn't seem to be working again.

:dubbio:

I ran the updates today for a fresh install - MS Update seemed to be dragging it’s heels. The scan probably took a good 2 hours or so and then it seemed to take a while to initiate the download itself but still ran through and completed.

Thanks, so it wasn't just me then!

I eventually left it scanning overnight, and in the morning I found that it had found the updates.
How long it actually look I have no way of telling of course.

All installed fine, and my policy with MSO.DLL now is that if it's replaced with another bad version, which it was, I just replace the bad version of the file with the last good version.
All comes good then, and it stops any nags about the update not being installed.
:)

• 2 weeks later...

For me the today's scan of Microsoft Update on a WinXP Home SP3 machine took a good two-hour period. When completed, three updates showed up, total of 41 MB. Installed without a hitch. Again M$ pushed a broken MSO.DLL (14.0.7252.5000), had to be replaced with the last good one (14.0.7214.5000) in order for the Office apps to work.

Are M$ people really so dumb and stupid they still have no clue that their so-called updates for Office 2010 create problems for users?

I'm sure they know full well that they've broken XP compatibility on an application which was originally sold as being XP compatible, but their line now I'm sure would be that as far as they're concerned nothing is now compatible with XP, even if it originally was!
There won't be any more updates for Office 2010 after October anyway, so that will be the end of that.
:(

I am having a real problem with Microsoft Update. I did have it set to notify only, but have now turned it off as scvhost.exe was gobbling up 50% CPU and fan going like the clappers. I tried via ie8 Microsoft Update, but just gets nowhere. I guess I am resigned to receiving no more Office 2010 updates, a few months before they stop.

@Dave-H. Thanks. I did manage to get missing updates via MS Update Catalogue as you suggested. Had to changeout MSO.DLL again.

Today I used ie8 Microsoft Update and it worked OK.  I was offered Word KB4484380, which didn't seem to break anything.