Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

Microsoft Update didn't take anywhere near as long to complete its scan as it did when we had the issue before, it wasn't hours and hours like it was then!
It just took several minutes, which is unusual now.

I did get a yellow shield with those Office updates this morning, but they failed again when an attempt was made using that interface.
I have now installed them all manually and all seems fine, but what a PITA!
I guess we will always have to do that in future if what @Mathwizsays is correct.
The second update (KB4484160) seemed to take forever to install, but it got there in the end!
:)

52 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Microsoft Update didn't take anywhere near as long to complete its scan as it did when we had the issue before, it wasn't hours and hours like it was then!
It just took several minutes....

That's good; your last post had me worried!

My yellow shield was there this AM with the three Office 2010 updates. Since manual installation still works, here are links to their support pages:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/4484164

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/4484127

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/4484160

You can go to each support page, scroll down to "Option 3: Microsoft Download Center," and find links to the standalone installers for both 32- and 64-bit versions of Office 2010. (I would assume the vast majority of folks have 32-bit systems, but just in case....)

@Mathwiz, Thanks for posting the links. I had same problem with those 3 updates failing to install the normal way. Links downloaded updates and they installed OK. No adverse effects on Office 2010 workings I can see from my quick test that they start up.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

here are links to their support pages:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/4484164

Out of curiosity, I downloaded that MS update from the link in the KB article; that fetched file "excel2010-kb4484164-fullfile-x86-glb.exe", sized 36.1 MB (!). I can confirm this is only SHA-2 code-signed:

h2Bcidk.jpg:realmad:

You'll have to test file code-signing signatures in a fully updated Win7 system (or higher) or, in my case, in Vista SP2 with one of the WS2008SP2 updates which give the OS SHA-2 code-signing verification support...

Trying the Windows Update Catalog link (mentioned in that same KB article),

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4484164

I ended up with a different file, excel-x-none_a5b150722cca4d6d9b062063747b02df0eaaaf51.cab (sized 19.8 MB); extracting it yields an excel-x-none.msp file (Windows Installer Patch, sized 40.3 MB), which is also only SHA-2 code-signed; notice that on the MUC, only a generic version is offered, regardless of the OS on which Office 2010 is installed :angry: ; perhaps the .exe and .msp files check OS version when launched, but it didn't occur to M$ that XP+Vista don't support SHA-2 code-signatures; there was a specific update on Vista (KB2763674) that allowed for .exe file execution even in the case the .exe was only SHA-2 signed, I guess a similar one might exist in XP (as part of the POSReady ones?) ...

The deal breaker here is that Windows Update on both XP and Vista was never patched to deliver updates signed with only sha-2 code signatures - for WS2008SP2, such an update does exist, but when that's installed on Vista, it changes the build number of Vista to 6.0.6003 - but that cuts off Vista completely from WU servers :angry: , because they were only configured to serve Vista 6.0.6002 builds; it emerges that WU servers are intelligent enough to tell apart Vista 6.0.6003 (blocked) from WS2008 6.0.6003 (supported); so, starting with Nov 2019 (and for the remaining updates till Oct 2020), users of Office 2010 SP2 on XP/Vista should manually install applicable updates from either MS Download Center/MUC... :( :realmad:

( ... and you thought M$ would screw Office 2010 only on XP, by sending incompatible mso.dll files... :realmad: )

Edited by VistaLover
Corrected Office 2010 Extended Support dateline

I'm not sure why the problem of the incompatible SHA-2 signing is only a problem with Microsoft Update, and not with the standalone installers.
Obviously I'm very glad that the standalone installers still work, but why don't they fail as well?
:dubbio:

5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I'm not sure why the problem of the incompatible SHA-2 signing is only a problem with Microsoft Update, and not with the standalone installers.
Obviously I'm very glad that the standalone installers still work, but why don't they fail as well?

I'm just speculating here, but I bet that the part where they fail is when MU says "verifying download", doesn't see a valid SHA-1 cert, and fails. The Standalone updates either don't check, or use their own/more basic integrity checking method.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!  I'm an old tech guy still running XP with Office 2010 up to date.

I manually installed the 3 fixes mentioned, using the links y'all supplied (when msupdate had failed them every time), and they went on ok.  Thanks much!

But it turns out that the fix for KB4484127's  problem (available fix KB2986256) will not even be loaded to msupdate, so unless one knows about it, one would have to discover the problem and figure it out,  though it seems to be a fairly important fix.

So, anybody installed KB2986256 yet?  Thanks!

Also, KB4484164 has a problem that MS is supposedly working on, as of now, and it's might not show up on msupdate in the future either...

Symptom
After you install this update, you receive the following error message when you restrict permissions within a workbook or open a workbook that has Information Rights Management (IRM) applied: 

Manifest does not match the executable; recreate the manifest by rebuilding the application.

When this problem occurs, no changes are made to the file.

Edited by JerrMSFN
Add more info

Five updates offered today -

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4484193) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB4484196) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4484192) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (KB4461613) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Word 2010 (KB4475601) 32-Bit Edition

Tried Microsoft Update, fearing the worst after last month, and was amazed when they all worked!
:thumbup
All seems to be OK, so presumably no MSO.DLL replacement this time.
I guess last month's signing problem must have been a one-off glitch, at least I hope so!
:)

• 1 month later...

Two updates this month, KB4484243 and KB4484236.
Several minutes of scanning on Microsoft Update again, but it found them eventually.
No problems with either of them.
:thumbup
Strangely, the second update only updates a file called "graph.exe", which doesn't seem to exist on my system!

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Well it looks, unsurprisingly, as graph.exe is involved with the handling and creating of graphs in Office programs. Maybe that's a facility that I haven't got installed, I've only got the bits of Office installed that I actually need to use, Outlook isn't installed for instance.
Graph.exe is there on my Windows 10 installation of Office 2010, but only in install source folders, not in the program folders, so I guess that's the same scenario.
KB4484243 is an update for Excel, the program executable and the converter, so I guess it wouldn't install if Excel wasn't enabled?

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment