Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

On 10/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, roundball said:

All it does is post that normal "Failed to install" phrase.
And when I double click the highlighted phrase there's nothing unique under it.
( just the normal "This change if for fixes and security, blah, blah, blah )

I appreciate that you took time to offer some help...I'll just "hide" this thing for a while, thank you again.

@roundball

Sorry for the delay, but this is the Windows 10 update history list I was referring to.
Your failed installed of the Office 2010 update for Outlook should be listed there (as mine is) with an error code if it failed.

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.283c9b598cf3e74779c7ad5e0fc84ba4.jpg

I do realise this Windows 10 stuff is off-topic here!
:)

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

@roundball

Sorry for the delay, but this is the Windows 10 update history list I was referring to.
Your failed installed of the Office 2010 update for Outlook should be listed there (as mine is) with an error code if it failed.

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.283c9b598cf3e74779c7ad5e0fc84ba4.jpg

I do realise this Windows 10 stuff is off-topic here!

Yes, the failure posts there but there is no error code.
I've got it safely tucked away [ "hidden" ] and I'll try it again in a month in case MS has done any tweaking to it.
Thank you again...

OK, no problem, I'm sure the failed update will soon be superseded by another one, indeed perhaps next week!
I hope that whenever the next one is that it does install OK for you.
Strange to have a failure with no reason or error code given though.
Cheers, Dave.

Two more updates today, both seem to be OK.
KB4484130 and KB4475569.
:yes:

@roundball
Off topic again of course, but I'd be interested to know if they installed on Windows 10 OK for you

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

On 10/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, Dave-H said:

OK, no problem, I'm sure the failed update will soon be superseded by another one, indeed perhaps next week!
I hope that whenever the next one is that it does install OK for you.
Strange to have a failure with no reason or error code given though.
Cheers, Dave.

Just a final bit of info...2 more small Office updates came down yesterday and they installed fine.
So just for the heck of it, I 'unhid' the previous Office update, tried it and it installed OK too.
So maybe there was some sort of sequence sensitivity involved or something, dunno...but everything is caught up again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 9:09 AM, Paul75 said:

I meant actually opened a support case. You know MS they will want to charge for any kind of support. 

forget about that, Paul75.  the chances of MS actually listening to you & others after opening a support case are slim to none when using Office 2010 on XP.

and MS will be ending support for all Office 2010 editions next year on October 2020:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/office-2010-end-support-roadmap

so I doubt MS will ever fix the Office 2010 MSO.DLL problems for XP/2003 as Office 2010 will be EOL in less than a year from now

Edited by erpdude8

On 11/6/2019 at 6:45 PM, erpdude8 said:

forget about that, Paul75.  the chances of MS actually listening to you & others after opening a support case are slim to none when using Office 2010 on XP.

and MS will be ending support for all Office 2010 editions next year on October 2020:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/office-2010-end-support-roadmap

so I doubt MS will ever fix the Office 2010 MSO.DLL problems for XP/2003 as Office 2010 will be EOL in less than a year from now

Also just a reminder, I doubt Microsoft is going to care about XP support as well... you know since it's been outta support since 2014!

Your better off reinstalling Office and not letting it update!

I think we may have a problem with Microsoft Update here.
I wasn't offered any Office 2010 updates with a yellow shield today as I expected, and when I ran MS Update after scanning for ages it eventually offered three updates.

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4484127) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB4484164) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4484160) 32-Bit Edition

None of them will install, I've tried twice.
They show as failed as soon as they download.
The error is 0x80096010, which apparently means "TRUST_E_BAD_DIGEST - The digital signature of the object did not verify".
That does not sound good!
I have a horrible feeling that we may now be blocked because of out of date certificates.
I ran @heinoganda's certificates updater this morning, i hope that didn't cause this!
:(

EDIT: Just tried with HTTPSProxy disabled, just in case, same result.
I guess I'll have to try installing from the standalone installers for the updates tomorrow (off to bed now!)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

... when I ran MS Update after scanning for ages it eventually offered three updates.

That actually sounds like an old problem that's come back! We used to complain about this all the time on the POSReady '09 thread. Then M$ did something and the problem went away - until now.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

None of them will install, I've tried twice.
They show as failed as soon as they download.
The error is 0x80096010, which apparently means "TRUST_E_BAD_DIGEST - The digital signature of the object did not verify".

Uh-oh; that sounds more serious. It sounds like M$ is now signing Office updates with SHA2 signatures. XP was never updated to validate that type of code-signing signature. Your only hope is to extract the updated files with something like 7-Zip and replace the original files manually.