Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

Three updates today, all seem to be safe.
:thumbup
I wonder if these will be the last I see from Microsoft Update?
:(

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

On 6/26/2019 at 8:07 AM, Mathwiz said:

Windows Update shows no more updates needed, except for KB2553347 which I'd hidden long ago. Now I'm trying to remember why....

On 6/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, Dave-H said:

KB2553347 seems to be a very old update from 2015, so I doubt it would have any relevance now.

Well, I figured out why I'd hidden it - it wouldn't install on my system. So rather than hiding it again, I downloaded it and extracted it with the /extract flag. This pulled out a .msp file, which I ran. That did seem to install quite a few updates, although it eventually failed with one of Micro$oft's meaningless error messages - but apparently nevertheless did the trick, as I don't see it offered any more. :whistle:

Now I'm installing today's three updates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Try hexing GetDateFormatEx to GetDateFormatW. If it isn't called in a loop and the first parameter is a predefined one, this substitution might work just as intended. (Four bytes of stack will be leaked on each call, but should be recovered when the calling function exits.)

• 3 weeks later...

One more Office 2010 update today: KB4475604. The support page, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4475604, just gives a 404 error :huh: but the update seems safe for XP.

Edit: Link started working while I was typing this post. Appears the update is specific to Outlook 2010, which I didn't install, so I can't confirm for sure whether it's safe for XP.

Edited by Mathwiz

As far as I can see from my system file checker, the files updated were ACECORE.DLL (Microsoft Access database engine DLL), EXCEL.EXE, and EXCELCNV.EXE.
All are now version 14.0.7237.5000.
Why an update apparently for Outlook should update Excel files I have no idea!
:)

That's odd; none of those files were listed in the File Information section at the link. Perhaps M$ got their updates mixed up, and the info at the link actually applies to a different update than the one we actually got today. Here's what it claims the update does:

With this update, Outlook now can block the sending and receiving of Python files (.py, .pyc, .pyo, .pyw, .pyz and .pyzw) as attachments.

Oh, joy. Don't know how I've managed to get by without that one.

FWIW, Excel does still work after applying it, so the (actual) update doesn't seem to break anything (except possibly Outlook) on XP.

Well it's perfectly possible that I didn't run the file checker after the previous Office update, so those Excel files could have been updated by that, not by the latest one!
They do have the same file version as the new ACECORE.DLL though, if that's relevant.
:dubbio:

For what it is worth, I installed Office update KB4475604 yesterday, before all your posts appeared. Outlook and other Office 2010 programs seem to run OK afterwards.

Good morning...would appreciate clarification on a quick question if someone could:

Running Win10 Pro 64-Bit but still using Office2010 32-Bit / Outlook2010-32-Bit
Received routine notification for an update:  Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB4475604) 32-Bit Edition

Went ahead and allowed it to install, but it failed, gave no indication why.
So I downloaded it manually and attempted to install it manually, but it also failed, no indication why.

Wondering if this update is specifically limited to WinXP and fails because I'm running Win10 Pro?
Thanks 

Welcome to the forum!
:hello:
I got the update fine on the Windows 10 side of my machine, but I have the 64 bit version of Office 2010 installed there, with the 32 bit version on XP.
Maybe it doesn't like installing a 32 bit update on a 64 bit OS, but if that's the case I'm surprised this hasn't happened before.
Even if no error message appears when you try to install the update, is there anything in the Windows Event Logs?
:)