Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

I have found a good fix for this issue after lot's of testing.:cheerleader:

First backup your current MSO.DLL from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14 and then install the broken KB4462223, after your done, go back to the directory and place your backed  MSO.DLL to the same directory and by overriding (or you can back it if you want) it and hooray! Office 2010 works again!:D

office2010.png

Edited by someguy25
typo

Yes, of course; but what's the point? The only file updated by KB4462223 is mso.dll, so you're just installing the update then essentially uninstalling it again.

Might as well just hide it and not install it to start with.

Just now, Mathwiz said:

Yes, of course; but what's the point? The only file updated by KB4462223 is mso.dll, so you're just installing the update then essentially uninstalling it again.

I half agree with you. But it's atleast something then having a broken office install, after all.

:)

58 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Indeed so, and surely if you put the old MSO.DLL back, Microsoft Update will just nag you to install the patch again?!
:dubbio:

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Indeed so, and surely if you put the old MSO.DLL back, Microsoft Update will just nag you to install the patch again?!
:dubbio:

Haven't seen the update being nagged again after placing the old mso.dll :)

m2Q518x.png

Edited by Nojus2001

Interesting, I always assumed that MS Update looked at the file versions on the system to determine if an update was needed, perhaps it doesn't!
I'll give it a try, it would be nice to have a "clean" MS Update without the nag that I've hidden an important update.

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'll give it a try, it would be nice to have a "clean" MS Update without the nag that I've hidden an important update.

[Google translation]

Dave-H, did it work for you too?

Edited by Jose Mattos

Amazingly, and against all my expectations, yes it did!
:thumbup
I copied MSO.DLL to a temporary folder, reinstalled KB4462223 via Microsoft Update (which resulted in the Office programs failing), and then put the original MSO.DLL back.
Office is now working again, and MS Update is no longer telling me that I've hidden an important update, and when I scan again it says I'm up to date!
Thank you very much indeed @Nojus2001, great result!
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Seems I am behind as the version of Office I have is Office XP

how does Office 2010 perform on XP ?

is it worth updating, I know alot of newer files created with newer office won;t open in Office XP

also does anyone have a link to a Full Office XP, as I need it again the install CD i had has gone corrupt

Edited by DrWho3000

36 minutes ago, DrWho3000 said:

Seems I am behind as the version of Office I have is Office XP

how does Office 2010 perform on XP ?

is it worth updating, I know alot of newer files created with newer office won;t open in Office XP

also does anyone have a link to a Full Office XP, as I need it again the install CD i had has gone corrupt

I used Office XP (2002) for many years before finally updating to Office 2010.
Office XP won't open the newer .docx Word documents generated by more recent versions of Word unless the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack is installed.
I still use that configuration on my netbook, and on Windows 98 on my main machine (Office XP, despite its name, is the last version that works on Windows 98!)
The Compatibility Pack is out of support now.
Office 2010 is very good on XP, at least it was until recent security updates broke it! :angry:
It's the last version to work on XP, and the first version to have a 64 bit version, which I use on Windows 10.

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as post has appeared on a new page

I'm sure you would be able to pick up an Office XP CD very cheaply now on e-Bay!
Assuming your original copy was kosher, the serial number from that should still work with a replacement disk.
Personally I would upgrade to Office 2010, which is still in support for a while longer, you can buy genuine (I hope!) serial numbers quite cheaply now, which will come with a link to download the software. That's what I did, and it was very straightforward to do, and legal.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:37 AM, Dave-H said:

I'm sure you would be able to pick up an Office XP CD very cheaply now on e-Bay!

Just scored one for $7.75 ($5 + $2.75 shipping). Even included a valid product key!

On 5/19/2019 at 7:42 AM, Dave-H said:

Office XP, despite its name, is the last version that works on Windows 98!

I'm gonna try upgrading my old Win 98 PC from Office 2000.