Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

I got four this morning, KB2589339, KB4462229, KB4461626, and KB4018363.
Office is still working, but KB4462174 is still being shown as a hidden critical update.
I guess that means that the faulty MSO.DLL hasn't been replaced with a working one.
We'll see what happens next Tuesday!
:)

KB2589339:

This article describes update 2589339 for Microsoft Office 2010 that was released on March 5, 2019.

Improvements and fixes

This update adds the ability to use the new Japanese era in Access 2010 when it is available.

I would've thought M$ could have taken care of the new Japanese era with a single update, rather than dribbling out half a dozen or so :rolleyes:

5 new this month, No Mso.dll from what i can see.

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4462226) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Access 2010 (KB4018363) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4461626) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB4462229) 32-Bit Edition

Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589339) 32-Bit Edition

Update

No troubble so far after installing them

Edited by Thalid

Yes, me too.
Still no replacement for MSO.DLL, KB4462174 still hidden.
I assume Office 2010 is supported until next year, as it's usually ten years of support.
I wonder if we'll ever see a fix for this?
:dubbio:

• 4 weeks later...

Two new Office 2010 updates today.

4462223 replaces previously released security update 4462174. Naturally it updates MSO.DLL so I was suspicious and didn't install it.

4464520 "resolves a remote code execution vulnerability that exists when the Microsoft Office Access Connectivity Engine incorrectly handles objects in memory," according to M$. However, I couldn't install it via Microsoft Update. Now trying a manual download & install; stay tuned....

Edit: Manual install failed also. The update seems to be failing when trying to access a Microsoft server :huh:

Edited by Mathwiz

I got an alert for 3 new updates today: KB4462230 (Excel 2010), KB4462223 (Office 2010), and KB4464520 (Office 2010). After updating, neither Word nor Excel would start (with the usual "DLL entry point missing" message). Taking a tip from Mathwiz, above, I uninstalled KB4462223 first and then all was well, with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access all working normally again. Thanks Mathwiz!

On 3/12/2019 at 7:27 PM, Dave-H said:

Yes, me too.
I assume Office 2010 is supported until next year, as it's usually ten years of support.

I think Microsoft's new policy is "supported until we break it!" Forget about counting on quality assurance. Look at Windows 10.

Microsoft Bug Testers Unionized. Then They Were Dismissed

3 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Update KB4494528 spoils Windows Installer.

That explains this:

15 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

4464520 "resolves a remote code execution vulnerability that exists when the Microsoft Office Access Connectivity Engine incorrectly handles objects in memory," according to M$. However, I couldn't install it via Microsoft Update.

I made the mistake of installing POSReady updates first, then trying to install Office updates. As a result, my installer was broken. Removed & hid 4494528, and 4464520 installed straight away.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:27 PM, Dave-H said:

Well, now there is a replacement (KB4462223), but it doesn't work on XP either:

15 hours ago, Zapfenzieher said:

I got an alert for 3 new updates today: KB4462230 (Excel 2010), KB4462223 (Office 2010), and KB4464520 (Office 2010). After updating, neither Word nor Excel would start (with the usual "DLL entry point missing" message). Taking a tip from Mathwiz, above, I uninstalled KB4462223 first and then all was well, with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access all working normally again.

So I'd say, sadly, no; we'll never see a fix for MSO.DLL that runs on XP.

Many of the previous updates to MSO.DLL had to do with the Japanese calendar, so they weren't a big deal unless you live in Japan or do business with folks there; but this latest broken update "resolves a remote code execution vulnerability ... when Microsoft Office does not correctly handle certain files. To learn more about the vulnerability, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2019-0801."

Luckily, it doesn't sound like the vulnerability is particularly easy to exploit:

To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker would have to convince a user to open a specially crafted URL file that points to an Excel or PowerPoint file that was also downloaded.

Since we can't patch the vulnerability, XP users just need to be wary of downloaded Excel or PowerPoint files. I would hope your favorite antivirus or anti-exploit software gets a definition update to check for the new exploit.

Same scenario to report here I'm afraid.
Complete failure of Office with KB4462223 installed.
I also had a problem uninstalling it, with the very helpful "Uninstall failed due to an unknown error" message.
Uninstalling KB4494528 fixed that. It is in fact preventing any modifications to the Office installation being made, with the equally unhelpful "The Configuration changes were not made" message!
I hope that's fixed if it has completely hosed the Windows Installer!
Just for the record, I was getting two error messages logged.
In the Windows Application log from MsiInstaller "Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80080005".
In the Windows System log from DCOM "The server {000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."
:(

Hi. I just joined this forum to post that I have been having problems with Office 2010 updates from Microsoft on WinXP.

Office 2010 KB4462223 caused me grief today, until I removed and blocked it.

Hope this info is useful to others.

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

In the Windows Application log from MsiInstaller "Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80080005".

I got the same message. I think the "server" it's referring to is the Windows Installer service, broken by KB4494528.

Pretty sneaky of M$ to give us an update that breaks Office 2010 along with another update that breaks the ability to uninstall the first update. :realmad:Edit: on the very last Patch Tuesday, no less!

Edited by Mathwiz