Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

17 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Well just uninstall KB4462157 again. You don't need the Japanese calendar in Lithuania do you?

No,i don't. So,i can't seem to find KB4462157 in the add or remove programs list:blink:

Oops: two more just appeared today:

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4018313) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4462174) 32-Bit Edition

Are either of those installed?

I'm testing KB4018313 now. Edit: KB4018313 seems safe. But KB4462174 updates mso.dll so it may have the same problem as KB4462157.

Edited by Mathwiz

Yep, that will be the one!
My two hidden updates (KB4462157 and KB4461614) in Microsoft Update have gone away, so KB4462174 must have replaced them both, with yet another non-working version!
MSO.DLL version 14.0.7214.5000 seems to be the last working one.
:angry:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

same boat of compatibility pack.

MSO.DLL (12.0.6807.5000) in KB4092465 links to bcrypt.dll which is not exist in XP. EDIT: this delayed-loading DLL seems to be harmless here

MSO.DLL (11.0.8453.0) in KB4462154 seems working fine.

Edited by roytam1

KB4462174 does not appear to be another Japanese calendar update fix, it's a real security fix.
Is there anyone here who is using Office 2010 on a genuine POSReady installation (not a hacked XP installation) who could make an official support request to Microsoft about this, while there's still time?!
Although Office 2010 is supposed to work with XP, IIRC unfortunately Microsoft's policy is that once an OS is unsupported, all applications running on it are also unsupported, so I don't think there's any use in an XP user complaining to them.
If it's not working on a genuine POSReady installation though, that's a different matter, for a couple more months anyway!
:yes:

Thanks, Dave - yep, KB4462174 appears to be problematic, whereas the other 3 updates I got from Microsoft (KB4018313:Office; KB4462177:Office; KB4462186:Excel) all seem to be fine.

Slightly OT, but if you're also getting XP updates, KB4487085 (GDI) will break you (among other symptoms: "The procedure entry point sprintf_s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll", Windows Picture Viewer failing to load, ...)

sprintf_s ... really? It's a standard British bird!

Edited by Zapfenzieher
add

I just decided to hide KB4462174 in Microsoft Update, and lo and behold, when I scanned again both KB4462157 and KB4461614 were then being offered again!
I assume this is because KB4462174 actually replaces both of them.
:dubbio:

EDIT:
Hmm, I hid KB4462157 and KB4461614 and all three updates were then shown as hidden as expected, but when I scanned again, then only KB4462174 was being shown as hidden!
Bizarre!

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/28/2019 at 7:17 AM, MagikGimp said:

Let me get this straight. Two updates have broken Office so far with a 3rd replacing them, which it itself is breaking it too. They've also now released a 4th update, for XP itself no less, which is also faulty?! And what is breaks is Photo Viewer???! This is just going to get worse and worse isn't it...

Re Photo Viewer -- I posted above (https://msfn.org[...]comment=1159925) recently about the XP update, KB4487085, which breaks Windows Picture Viewer. It's unrelated to Office updates. Uninstall that one and you'll be fine again (apart from not benefiting from the fix to GDI).

Edited by Zapfenzieher

I'm still puzzled here, what exactly is Windows Photo Viewer/Windows Picture Viewer?
I don't have anything called either of those names on either of my XP installations.
Is it a built-in Microsoft program?
:)

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'm still puzzled here, what exactly is Windows Photo Viewer/Windows Picture Viewer?
I don't have anything called either of those names on either of my XP installations.
Is it a built-in Microsoft program?
:)

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is a view, not an app.

From O'Reilly, "The Windows Picture and Fax Viewer isn’t a standalone application in the traditional sense, but rather a simple viewer window. When Windows XP is first installed, it is the default viewer for [emf, gif, jpeg, bmp, png, tif, wmf]"

And from CNET,  "The command to run Windows Picture and Fax viewer is: rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll ImageView_Fullscreen path-to-picture "