Beware of Office 2010 Updates!

Yet another Office 2010 update:

January 2, 2019, update for Office 2010 (KB4032217)

Improvements and fixes

This update makes some changes for the Japanese calendar in Excel 2010 so that the new Japanese era name can be displayed correctly when a new era begins.

I don't even have Excel 2010 (only have PowerPoint Viewer) but I was offered the update anyway.

I am running Office 2010 on XP and today (9 Jan 2019) found I had had an automatic update which required an automatic computer restart and now I can't access Office Excel and Word. Received the same GetDateFormatEx and KERNEL32.dll messages as others reported previously. Looking in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (with updates ticked) I can't find Update 4461522, so am looking for advice. My updates for Office and its programs don't show dates so that doesn't help either. Has this problem recurred with another update? I have 4661521 but that is presumably something totally different. I am new to all this sort of stuff. Only came across your site whilst looking for solutions. Help please !!

Yep - it's KB4461614, a "security" update to MSO.dll. Same stupid mistake as the one that started this thread: it "secures" Office 2010 (including even free products like PowerPoint Viewer) by making sure it doesn't run at all on XP. 8-)

Edit: Removed KB4461614 and PowerPoint Viewer runs OK again. Guess I'll have to hide it....

Edited by Mathwiz

Stupid, repeating exactly the same error they made in November and then fixed with a subsequent update!
Let's hope they do the same again this time.
:lol:

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment

On 1/9/2019 at 6:45 AM, JohnnieB said:

[...] My updates for Office and its programs don't show dates so that doesn't help either. Has this problem recurred with another update? I have 4661521 but that is presumably something totally different. I am new to all this sort of stuff. Only came across your site whilst looking for solutions. Help please !!

@JohnnieB, you can find out what updates you've received and the dates they were downloaded to your system by running Windows Security Centre and invoking the "Check for the latest updates from Windows Update" option (menu on left), then selecting the "Review your update history" option in the Windows Update explorer window which will subsequently appear (left side menu again, top option).

Cheers!

Windows Security Centre.JPG

Microsoft Update.JPG

Windows Update history.JPG

Edited by Zapfenzieher
add images

Hi all,

Just a quick line to say you saved me before Christmas a couple of times and twice this week with that KB4461614 update!  It keeps making its way back to my computer but really thankful for your help. 

Best wishes,

Nora

You should be able to hide it in Windows/Microsoft Update so it doesn't install again.
I assume you've got automatic updating switched on.
I would recommend that you switch it off, and configure it just to prompt you when updates are available, not actually install them!
IMO it's important to keep control now of exactly what is updated on your machine.
:)

40 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

You should be able to hide it in Windows/Microsoft Update so it doesn't install again.
I assume you've got automatic updating switched on.
I would recommend that you switch it off, and configure it just to prompt you when updates are available, not actually install them!
IMO it's important to keep control now of exactly what is updated on your machine.

Now,im going to install office 2010 on my xp pc and now i wonder what updates as of NOW i should hide/uncheck?

This message just showed up, again,  a few days ago.   Does anyone know if another "bad" release caused this like it did in the November 2018.   Dave-H's solution worked for me back then, but cannot duplicate it since I no longer have KB4461552 listed as a "currently installed program".    Is anyone else having this problem?  Or is there something else I could do to try and remedy this? 

• dencorso changed the title to Beware of Office 2010 Updates!
17 hours ago, free1944 said:

This message just showed up, again,  a few days ago.   Does anyone know if another "bad" release caused this like it did in the November 2018.   Dave-H's solution worked for me back then, but cannot duplicate it since I no longer have KB4461552 listed as a "currently installed program".    Is anyone else having this problem?  Or is there something else I could do to try and remedy this? 

Same scenario, but it's now KB4461614 which is causing the problem.
Uninstall that and hide it and it should come good.
I'm still hoping they will release a substitute which does work soon as they did last time!