Need help to find the last available SPEU20.exe update for a Windows 98 SE computer.

Welshman

Hi to all the members of this forum. Also, I am asking for help to find an update to download from online for a Windows 98 SE computer - the last SPEU20.exe

update.

To explain. Have a Windows 98 SE small tower computer which I want give away free with the installation disc, product key, software and 2 books to a charity, a

person who wants to learn about personal computing or to a Windows 98 enthusiast.

But before I do that I need to install all the last official updates that are still available. So, to begin with I visited The Magic Floppy website, managed and owned

by Matthew Furman, to download the first 5 last updates from a table that lists those 5 last updates under a 'Prerequisites (install these first!)' heading.

But there is a problem. The problem is I have only been able to download 4 of those updates because the link for 1 update is missing. That update is

SPEU20.exe which I think is the executable file for Microsoft Libraries Update 2.

Also, I have already sent 4 messages by e-mail to Matthew Furman (I think he lives in Plattsburgh, New York State) explaining the problem but I have not

received a reply yet.

Have also filled out a form on 1 of his wesbites as well as sending 2 messages by e-mail to the City Clerk. But still no reply.

So: Can anyone help me by providing a link please? Thank you in advance.

From The Welshman

Hi Ath73

Thank you for your kind reply to my post and thank you for understanding what I have typed. Also, I will now respond with the following reply.

I do not think it would be wise for me to install the last SPEU20.exe for a Windows 98 First Edition computer onto a Windows 98 Second

Edition computer.

Also, it does state "If you are running Windows 98 Second Edition, click here." on the Windows 98 First Edition page of The Magic Floppy

website.

It also states "This is simply an archive for the Windows 98 First Edition Updates previously released by Microsoft." above the "Prerequisites

(install these first!)" heading on the Windows 98 First Edition page on that same website.

Hope you understand my logic or sense. Also, if you do 'find' that the SPEU20.exe is available to download for windows 98 Second Edition from

another website then please either provide the link or simply tell me the website name.

Lastly, thank you again for your kind reply.

From the Welshman.

Hi MrMateczko

Thank you for your kind reply to my post and thank you for the provided link. Also or But, like I have already 'said' to Ath73 I do not think it would be wise for me to install the last SPEU20.exe for a Windows 98 First Edition computer onto a Windows 98 Second Edition computer (FE means First Edition and SE means Second Edition which I am sure you know)!

Hope you understand my logic or sense. Also, if you do 'find' that the SPEU20.exe is available to download for windows 98 Second Edition only from another website then please either provide the link or simply tell me the website name.

Lastly, thank you again for your kind reply and your provided link.

From the Welshman.

If you’re interested in having the original archived Microsoft link for historical purposes, it’s here: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20060622081454/http:/download.microsoft.com/download/c/3/8/c386d681-4fcc-4dcf-838d-e3ff3ff67174/SPEU.exe

Oddly, the original Microsoft link still “works”, but the file it downloads “is not a valid Win32 application”:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/3/8/c386d681-4fcc-4dcf-838d-e3ff3ff67174/SPEU.exe

Edited by sdfox7

There will be no harm in installing this on a SE computer. Setup will simply not overwrite the files if the ones that come with Win98SE are newer than the ones inside the exe. You might see a popup similar to this:

fig2.jpg

Just answer yes to each popup you will encounter.

No need to fear ;)

AFAIK: No version of the exe was made specifically for SE, but this is not the first time that has happened, for instance, the DCOM98 exe is not made for SE specifically, yet it does no harm when installed in SE.

Edited by MrMateczko

sdfox7, speu.exe (1998) you linked is older version than speu20.exe (1999) op is looking for.

But i'm pretty sure there is no specific 98se version...

Is this file even needed? I have 98se (oem) with only ie55sp2 and mp9 installed and update has older files in it.

Edited by Ath73

12 minutes ago, Ath73 said:

sdfox7, speu.exe (1998) you linked is older version than speu20.exe (1999) op is looking for.
But i'm pretty sure there is no specific 98se version...

And you're right: the one and only speu20.exe (1999) is the one linked to by @MrMateczko:

On 11/16/2018 at 2:13 PM, MrMateczko said:

Now, the OP may as well keep on a wild goose chase for as long as he likes. The sought-after help, however, has already been given.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ath73, MrMateczko and sdfox7

Sorry to disturb you. Also, I need to ask you all a question. My question is the following: Did you receive my update about my "Need help to find the last available SPEU20.exe update for a Windows 98 SE computer" post message? Please let me know soon and I thank you all in advance for reading my message.

From the Welshman.