Install Office 2013 on Windows Vista?

WinFX

We all know that the latest compatible version of Office with Vista is 2010. I think that you can install Office 2013 in Vista by editing some EXE and DLL.

The main error comes from SETUP.EXE that comes out a window that says "This program requires a more recent version of Windows", I think that using hexadecimal editors you can remove that Windows version detector.

If also another thing like cheating the installer with which you are using Windows 7 and not Vista for open the Office 2013 Installer.

Office 2013.jpg

Edited by GianLuca18092004

Office 2013 will not work in Windows Vista since it requires system APIs that are only in Windows 7 or later. Here’s an example of an error you’ll get when attempting to run it:

“The procedure entry point K32GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll”

I have to ask... why would you want Office 2013 anyway? It’s ugly, slow, and bloated... The fact that it doesn’t work with Vista is a blessing in disguise as far as I’m concerned. 

I know Office 2013 is ugly, but I'm doing tests in Vista, despite everything I think that editing setup.exe and kernel32.dll is enough, since Vista is NT6.0 and 7 is NT6.1

I wonder, how do you know about the K32GetProcessImageFileNameW error if the installer blocks any system prior to Windows 7?

I do not understand how this is used, I'm using Windows Vista x64 and when I choose Windows 7 and SP1, when I give it to Fake Reg, it still shows that damn window that requires a newer version of Windows. Another thing that could help the program is to use Chrome 41+ as it enables the Aero Glass and does not show the annoying message that it will not be more compatible with XP and Vista.

I run the fcwin2k as administrator !!!

Edited by GianLuca18092004
Forgot

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, win32 said:

I just need K32EnumProcesses and maybe another function or two in the x86 kernel32.dll to get the Office 2013/2016 installers to run.

Won't the superior x64 version work anyways?

Hello everyone, excellent news, now I have IDA Pro and it no longer appears that it requires a recent version of Office 2013, since I modified the cave code :) In Windows XP x86 it works, in Vista (both artitectures) I imagine that too.

There are only some dependencies that I will watch later on setup.dll and/or osetup.dll.

Now this will get good with the win32 extended kernel:yes:

Edited by WinFX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

How to install Office 2013 on Vista
1- Have a copy of Office 2013 64-bit handy (The latest extended kernel is needed, x86 is useless)
2- Copy to the desktop in a new folder the root of your copy of Office 2013
3- Copy the ProPlus.WW.en-US folder to the desktop (the name may vary due to the language/edition of the copy), this is important since the Office installer detects the edited files and the installer of this folder needs to be edited.
4- In the folder copied to the desktop open ProPlus.WW.msi with Orca, go to InstallExecuteSequence and remove AbortMsi (it blocks the installation outside of setup.exe that verifies the files), then in Components change all Conditional VersionNT >= 601 by VersionNT >= 600.
5- Replace gdiplus.dll with the one from Windows 7, this is the path in the system:

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6002.19749_none_56a723b1b598503f\gdiplus.dll

6- In group policies of the local machine, it prohibits rollback (very important)
7- Create an osver.ini file with the following settings (required at all times when installing Office 2013):

[global]
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7600

8- Open ProPlus.WW.msi and after installation the Office 2013 suite should appear in the start menu, but it is not enough!
9- Go back to group policies and disable rollback, but keep osver.ini
10- In the root folder of Office 2013 the only change we will make is to delete the update or updates folder, they cause bugs when installed
11- Open the setup.exe of the normal Office 2013 installer and customize it to your liking (it should install successfully, if an error appears, reboot the system)
12- Open Word 2013 (it can be any program in the suite except Visio, Lync, InfoPath or Outlook) to configure Office 2013
13- The programs of the Office 2013 suite will need to be detected at all times as Windows 7 or an annoying Windows Installer dialog will appear configuring each time the program starts: 

[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE]
Enabled=1
Win7SuperVerFix=1
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7600

[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSACCESS.exe]
Enabled=1
Win7SuperVerFix=1
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7600

[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSPUB.exe]
Enabled=1
Win7SuperVerFix=1
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7600

[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\ONENOTE.exe]
Enabled=1
Win7SuperVerFix=1
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7600

[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.exe]
Enabled=1
Win7SuperVerFix=1
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7600

[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\POWERPNT.exe]
Enabled=1
Win7SuperVerFix=1
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7600

[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.exe]
Enabled=1
Win7SuperVerFix=1
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7600

14- ¡Enjoy Office 2013!

SOMEONE BUGS

1- A large part of the office suite worked without problems, but there are programs that have some problem to solve:

• Outlook: won't start due to missing dependency on advapi32.dll (in future extended kernel updates this may be fixed)
  • Lync: Stop responding... on welcome screen
  • Infopath: Won't even open
  • Visio: When creating a new drawing stops responding

2- It is impossible to activate it (at least there is no time bomb)

3- Can't login (maybe because of TLS)

CONCLUSION

We have partly killed the obsolescence imposed by M$ in Vista, which only received two versions of Office. Almost the entire suite works perfectly under Vista, except for Lync or InfoPath that I don't find useful, Outlook and the lack of dependencies in advapi32.dll.
In the usual programs like Word, Excel or Powerpoint I can do anything without problems as if I were in Windows 7 or 8.

5- Replace gdiplus.dll with the one from Windows 7, this is the path in the system:

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6002.19749_none_56a723b1b598503f\gdiplus.dll

but why i still get "GdipBitmapGetHistogramSize is missing in gdiplus.dll" ?

Edit : i found the problem, i took the wrong version of gdiplus.dll (5.1.7601) instead of 6.1.7601 one from windows 7

Edited by 25495k

1 hour ago, 25495k said:

but why i still get "GdipBitmapGetHistogramSize is missing in gdiplus.dll" ?

Show me your winword.exe on dependency walker x64 and show full path 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 8:54 AM, WinFX said:

6- In group policies of the local machine, it prohibits rollback (very important)

On 1/5/2023 at 8:54 AM, WinFX said:

9- Go back to group policies and disable rollback

How do I disable rollback? I looked around the MSI with Orca for such option, but I can't find a way to disable rollback.